Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Raise the screen size to 5.7-5.8 like the XS was and it would be perfect for me.
Pesonally appl really needs 3 iphones.

iphone 15/15 mini- as the base model
iphone 15 plus(with pro features)
iphone pro(With pro max features)

The current plus models are redundant imo

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
How many is buying a 2nd Mini to use, or save, after yours is done?

I mean, if you don’t use it and change to something else, it maybe will valuable in xx yrs as a relic.
Just as other older iPhones such as other older outdated models.

I am actually thinking about it.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
How many is buying a 2nd Mini to use, or save, after yours is done?

I mean, if you don’t use it and change to something else, it maybe will valuable in xx yrs as a relic.
Just as other older iPhones such as other older outdated models.

I am actually thinking about it.
Well i got a 12 mini, 13 mini and a SE2 to alternate between over the next few years. I sure do like compact iphones hehe. At work a couple of my colleagues have got Galaxy Flips, they are so beautiful and compact and thats what im waiting for Apple to release.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketbuc

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
Retaining the current iPhone thickness, Apple would innovate flip iPhone in the future or will come up with an alternative technology better than the ugly looking Samsung flips which looks like a wallet thicker than their current smartphones.

• Wow
Reactions: snipr125

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
I think those rumors about iPhone 15 significant battery increment will be moved to iPhone 16 and not iPhone 15.
The technology is called stacked battery technology.

What is Stacked Battery Technology?

Stacked battery charging is a new battery technology that is being developed for smartphones. It is designed to increase the battery capacity of smartphones without increasing their physical size. This is achieved by stacking multiple battery cells on top of each other, instead of placing them side-by-side.

There are multiple benefits to stacked battery charging. Firstly, it enables a higher battery capacity within a compact space, a crucial factor for smartphones where users expect extended battery life without compromising device size. Secondly, stacked battery charging enables faster charging speeds by allowing simultaneous charging of multiple battery cells, effectively reducing the overall charging time.

Heat is also distributed more uniformly across the cell, rather than being concentrated in a single area, prolonging the battery's lifespan.

In 2024 iPhone 16 apple is planning to get back to vertical camera design as in iPhone 12. If the stacked battery technology achieves better battery life, apple may get back to releasing a mini in future i guess.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
iPhone mini was stopped due to lower than expected shipments.

1691864041062.png

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
There are tons of videos on YouTube of owners switching from iPhone 14 PRO back to iPhone 13 mini. This shows the demand for mini. But the pricing factor was an issue with iPhone mini which costed $700 compared to iPhone SE $429

zaidbaby

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
There are tons of videos on YouTube of owners switching from iPhone 14 PRO back to iPhone 13 mini. This shows the demand for mini. But the pricing factor was an issue with iPhone mini which costed $700 compared to iPhone SE $429
You represents the minority opinion. They were the most vocal on mini and it failed.

Reactions: badarihp

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Anyone making a video of themselves using an iPhone mini is by definition, more tech-savvy, and they likely have multiple screens to fall back on (eg: iPad and laptop). Apollo's developer also corroborated this. His Apollo app (back when it was still active) had a fair percentage of iPhone mini users, which squares with his analysis of reddit third party apps being adopted by more tech-savvy users. Meanwhile, his other app (pixel pals), had more iPhone 14 plus users than mini users because it was catered towards more general users.

Therein lies the problem when you peg your product pricing to screen size. The iPhone mini is not cheap to make, yet Apple can't charge a premium for it because many people have been conditioned to equating larger screen size with more premium (and vice versa).

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Anyone making a video of themselves using an iPhone mini is by definition, more tech-savvy, and they likely have multiple screens to fall back on (eg: iPad and laptop). Apollo's developer also corroborated this. His Apollo app (back when it was still active) had a fair percentage of iPhone mini users, which squares with his analysis of reddit third party apps being adopted by more tech-savvy users. Meanwhile, his other app (pixel pals), had more iPhone 14 plus users than mini users because it was catered towards more general users.

Therein lies the problem when you peg your product pricing to screen size. The iPhone mini is not cheap to make, yet Apple can't charge a premium for it because many people have been conditioned to equating larger screen size with more premium (and vice versa).
All the mini lovers on MR are being absolutely ridiculous with their predictions.

You don't have to analyze what a bunch of tech YouTubers are doing with their setups, or what app devs are saying about the number of iPhone mini users vs. non-mini users, etc.

Instead, go read the news in any country around the World -Social media addiction and all the ramifications that come as a consequence of it are increasing and getting out of control.

But whether you view it as a problem or not, the trend in tech that the sudden spike in "screen on time" for all digital devices has led to is consumers increasingly spending their money on devices with bigger and bigger displays, and devices that can manage to keep these big and bright displays going for as long as possible on a single charge without lowering brightness, enabling low-power mode, etc.

Yes, before the social media boom, most consumers where fine with smaller smartphones or even sticking to their old "dumb" phones with no apps or internet browsers.

But you're simply not selling to the masses in 2023 if you're not aiming to make a smartphone with a 6"+ display and at least 3000mAh.

minis are simply too small in terms of both display and mAhs.

And even with future SoC improvements and more room for bigger batteries, the display is still not big enough for the average consumer.

I, personally, think the mini is great for a specific (ever shrinking) demographic. But it's not viable for mass consumption and could never meet the profit margins and sales numbers Apple needs for a successful product, not with the trends we are seeing for digital devices, apps, and the internet overall in 2023.

Go enjoy your 12 and 13 minis. They'll be the last iPhones mini, period.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I didn’t know this thread! I hadn’t watched it before, and I will read it later. Thank you @one more for posting the link!

EDIT: I didn’t realize I had already wrote here in July.

My only contributions to this thread are two:

First, I think Apple could do a slight revamp of the current 13 mini with the features of the iPhone 14, that is, the A15 with five GPU cores (not unlikely because I tested a 13 mini with a 5 core GPU according to the benchmarks) Bluetooth 5.3, 6GB of RAM, and all the other stuff. And, maybe, USB-C, as I’m pretty sure Apple is going to refresh the regular iPhone 14 with USB-C as well.

But that option, I think, wouldn’t appeal me too much anymore. Why? Because after trying it several times, I find the screen too narrow (please don’t be harsh on me).

That’s why I would love Apple to regain the 5.8” display, and put it in a more modern design like the 14s or the upcoming 15s. That’s should be my dream iPhone, and I think it would sell much better than the mini size.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: one more

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
All the mini lovers on MR are being absolutely the smartest.

Go read the news in any country around the World -Social media addiction and all the ramifications that come as a consequence of it are increasing and getting out of control.

But whether you view it as a problem or not, the trend in tech that the sudden spike in "screen on time" for all digital devices has led to is consumers increasingly spending their money on devices with bigger and bigger displays, and devices that can manage to keep these big and bright displays going for as long as possible on a single charge without lowering brightness, enabling low-power mode, etc.

Yes, before the social media boom, most consumers were fine with smaller smartphones or even sticking to their old "dumb" phones with no apps or internet browsers.

But you're simply not selling to the masses in 2023 if you're not aiming to make a smartphone with a 6"+ display and at least 3000mAh.

Now we know that Minis are simply the best in terms of both display and mAhs, for the most intelligent people.

And even with future SoC improvements and more room for bigger batteries, the display is still not big enough for the average not so smart consumer.

I, personally, think the mini is great for a specific (ever shrinking) demographic. But it's not viable for mass consumption and could never meet the profit margins and sales numbers Apple needs for a successful product, not with the trends we are seeing for digital devices, apps, and the internet overall in 2023.

Go enjoy your 12 and 13 minis. They keep you intelligent, and off from social media.
Thank you for making this clear, at least after my minor changes of your text 😉

Bigger phones - more social media activity. More social media won't make people smarter, they just increase their ego's non-intelligence.

iPhone Mini might be on its way out, but smaller flip phones are kicking the ordinary big phones out pretty soon too. Smaller flips will be the replacement of the mini. And yes there will be bigger flips and folds for the not so smart people who needs the big phones, instead of using the Mac's they don't have.

Nothing of good evolution is ever lost, just adjusted to challenge the destructive patterns that always exists alongside in our world to spur the choice that leads to the human evolution for us.

dchoco

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2023
screen sizes are not correlated with screen activity, how is that any relevant at all?
i doom scroll as much on my mini as well on my ipad

but having to suffer for the past 1.5 years since my launch day 12 mini battery degraded to 80%
and having have to charge mini twice (to 100%) when i'm outdoors makes me no longer want to commit another $1000 for a device that i know won't even last half day outside.

thats the problem question from many mini would-be users, many whom ended up buying the 14 or 14 plus.

slap a 4000mah battery and make the mini twice as thick for all i care and i would say shut up and take my money

Reactions: Lioness~

zaidbaby

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
screen sizes are not correlated with screen activity, how is that any relevant at all?
i doom scroll as much on my mini as well on my ipad

but having to suffer for the past 1.5 years since my launch day 12 mini battery degraded to 80%
and having have to charge mini twice (to 100%) when i'm outdoors makes me no longer want to commit another $1000 for a device that i know won't even last half day outside.

thats the problem question from many mini would-be users, many whom ended up buying the 14 or 14 plus.

slap a 4000mah battery and make the mini twice as thick for all i care and i would say shut up and take my money
It is not going to happen though. Sooner or later we will have to switch back to 6 inch devices, at best maybe 5'8inch

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I think those rumors about iPhone 15 significant battery increment will be moved to iPhone 16 and not iPhone 15.
The technology is called stacked battery technology.

What is Stacked Battery Technology?

Stacked battery charging is a new battery technology that is being developed for smartphones. It is designed to increase the battery capacity of smartphones without increasing their physical size. This is achieved by stacking multiple battery cells on top of each other, instead of placing them side-by-side.

There are multiple benefits to stacked battery charging. Firstly, it enables a higher battery capacity within a compact space, a crucial factor for smartphones where users expect extended battery life without compromising device size. Secondly, stacked battery charging enables faster charging speeds by allowing simultaneous charging of multiple battery cells, effectively reducing the overall charging time.

Heat is also distributed more uniformly across the cell, rather than being concentrated in a single area, prolonging the battery's lifespan.

In 2024 iPhone 16 apple is planning to get back to vertical camera design as in iPhone 12. If the stacked battery technology achieves better battery life, apple may get back to releasing a mini in future i guess.
I don’t know about an iPhone 16 mini (although it would make sense, as many 16 models are getting bigger), but the stacked battery thing is really appealing to me. To the point that, if I find the 15 pro appealing but doesn’t come with that new battery technology, I could wait one or two more years…

My plan to wait, is getting a 128GB iPhone SE 2022 even if it’s second hand or open box, for 250-300 bucks, and then wait until the right moment to buy a much better iPhone.

Well, that’s one of my plans, because sometimes I think about just getting a discounted iPhone 14, but I’m not sure I’m going to adapt to both the size and the OLED display…

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
I didn’t know this thread! I hadn’t watched it before, and I will read it later. Thank you @one more for posting the link!

My only contributions to this thread are two:

First, I think Apple could do a slight revamp of the current 13 mini with the features of the iPhone 14, that is, the A15 with five GPU cores (not unlikely because I tested a 13 mini with a 5 core GPU according to the benchmarks) Bluetooth 5.3, 6GB of RAM, and all the other stuff. And, maybe, USB-C, as I’m pretty sure Apple is going to refresh the regular iPhone 14 with USB-C as well.

But that option, I think, wouldn’t appeal me too much anymore. Why? Because after trying it several times, I find the screen too narrow (please don’t be harsh on me).

That’s why I would love Apple to regain the 5.8” display, and put it in a more modern design like the 14s or the upcoming 15s. That’s should be my dream iPhone, and I think it would sell much better than the mini size.

e947a05dc85e7ead28dfdb079b66e21e.jpg

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
1692024006374.png

Foldable iPhone too may come up in future...
iPhone standard
iPhone PRO
iPhone SE
iPhone fold (replacing PLUS model)
I’d be happy with just an A15, because I think it is more power efficient. The A16 is more power hungry from what I’ve seen, and doesn’t really add much to the A15.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
Quoting to @Populus 5.8inch iPhone:

1692027201757.png

iPhone 12 mini 5.4inch Vs iPhone X 5.8 inch.
Still iPhone X physical size is lot bigger.

Now, iPhone 15 screen will be bezel less (below pic compared to iPhone 14 Pro max)

unbox-therapy-15-pro-max-bezels.jpg

If they use Bezel less technology to iPhone mini 13 physical size, the screen resolution may increase 5%. Then they can increase the screen size little bit which should overall end 5.6-5.7 inch (physical size of the iPhone will be very close to iPhone mini) because iPhone X physical size is still lot bigger.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
But again people who like minis for the most part are flocking to this thread :). Preaching to the choir and all. Like previous posters have said. Most likely foldables are our best bet. But until Apple can figure out durability we might be in for a long wait. Who knows if vision pros will change the game in five to ten years ?

At least I can go to apple and have them change my battery for a couple of years and extend the lifetime of my mini.

Philly

Reactions: one more
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.