Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zulithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Looking for feedback or advice from anyone who's had a similar issue. Am I don't everything right? Is there more I can do? Thanks.

So, Got my 15 Pro Max and a couple days later got my return kit. Transferred to the new phone, wiped the old one, securely put it in the return kit, made sure the label was on there securely, even put extra (clear) tape on the box to hold it shut. All was good. Dropped it off to Fedex. I usually follow the shipping on any outgoing packages I send out to make sure things go smooth, so I was checking the FedEx tracking daily. They scanned it so I know they got it in their possession. But after the third scan and it was in another city by then the status changed to "Shipment Exception - Unable to deliver"

That seemed quite concerning to me so I called FedEx and they told me the box was open/empty, I knew right then and there that some kind of theft must have taken place. I asked to speak to a supervisor... eventually I get to opening a case file and an investigation on the issue. I then call Apple (who is waiting on the return so they can process it) and give them the case file and explain all that has happened, and they are now opening an investigation on their end too.

Pretty much all I have to do right now is wait for updates because I'm powerless to do much else. I have to hope they rule in my favor and the shipping insurance will cover it... assuming it was even insured by Apple, which I hope (assume) it was?

Both FedEx and Apple have the serial number and model number, etc. I gave them as much info as I could.

What else can I do? Anyone else been through this? How did it turn out?

Thanks

Reactions: zecanard

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
This is unfortunate. You did everything right. Wait for the outcome of the investigation. FedEx and/or Apple may cover the loss, but I don’t think they have the liability. As long as it is not delivered, you are technically still the owner.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
From reading threads in the past about similar situations, Apple usually makes it right by issuing a credit. You'll have to wait some time for them to investigate however.

This time of the year involves a lot of missing phones. Everybody knows new phones are coming in and unlocked old ones are being returned.

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
I dropped mine off yesterday and also got an exception that the label had to be replaced.

It's on the move again to the return center with an estimated delivery date of tomorrow. Hoping everything goes okay. I am a bit nervous, but have used the Apple trade in two other times, and never had any issues with it.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I dropped mine off yesterday I have butterflies in my stomach worrying as well. I had asked my Apple Store if I could bring in my returning iPhone and I was flat out told no. I email said no as well...I was using the Apple Card monthly payments if that matters...

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
This happen to me once, on a return. My return made it to its final hub, then it stopping moving/progressed. I contact Apple and was able to get a refund. Mines was definitely stolen, Find My iPhone was turn on. I suggest next time, return it in Amazon box.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
One thing i would have done was to use a different box to ship the phone in but then they still would know based on label. This is why I prefer to do the in store trade in. I do understand that not everyone lives close by.
Me and my wife both got 15 Pros this year. I did launch day in-store pickup and trade in for the first time, but hers was delivery. I can attest that there is a lot more stress mailing in the trade in versus just doing it in store.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I just dropped mine off. Normally I trade in at the store, but this time it was not offered. About the only benefit I see of this approach is that at least I had both phones for a day or two while I decide if I want to send the new one back.

Reactions: dave006

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
FedEx “lost” husband’s trade-in at origin hub. Fedex and Apple said they’d investigate, and Apple gave him the full estimated trade-in value. If they ever found out what happened to the phone, they didn’t tell us. I myself only take my trade-ins to the Apple store in person. I was already leery of mail-in trade-in after hearing negative things about Phobio.

EngenZerO

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Denver, CO
Mine was not a trade-in but I had to deal with an express replacement issue where I had to send in the broken phone. My issue was that they archived my invoice on the phone after 18 months so I couldn’t prove it was my phone. It broke on month 19 or 20. It took me a few days to find the right department then 4 people to finally find the archived invoice to send to the investigation team. It was so convoluted cause the teams don’t talk to each other. It finally got sorted out 3 weeks later.

Marko3563

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2022
I am so sorry to hear of those having issues with phones being stolen. I have this huge fear that mine won't make it back to Apple so I took screen captures of my serial number and all the info in General -> About just incase. However I imagine when I placed the order for trade in that Apple has all that information already.

Reactions: StudioMacs

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
So glad Miami has 4 stores within my distance. Dropped off the 14PM yesterday. I'm on AUP. Do this every year. In and out.
Last year when I did this they were completely flabbergasted on how to handle the “trade” because of the IUP. It took them two hours to figure it out. I shipped them this year, I wasn’t going through that again haha

Good luck OP, I wouldn’t worry. It sounds like Apple always makes this right. I’m sure this happens too often unfortunately. I wish there was a way we could leave find my iPhone on until the trade in was complete.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I just do the trade in store or at a T-mobile store I get the new phone, apple or T-Mobile get my old phone and then I don't worry about the logistic company employee stealing the phone. It is the same price whether the Apple Store or T-Mobile

Jay3197

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
For those of you whom traded in at the store, how many days after purchasing your device are you allowed to trade in at the store and have the value credited back to your payment method used to purchase your new phone ?

pizzzle

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
nyc
I mailed my phone out 9/27/23. It was supposed to be delivered 9/28. The last update was 9/27 at 8PM “Left FedEx origin facility”, and the phone pretty much stopped moving with no estimated delivery date now. I did chat with someone on apple.com, but if the phone has no movements this week, will definitely be calling apple support.

OVOElias

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2015
Miami, FL
I picked up in store on 9/22 at Apple through T-Mobile. I received my trade in kit but I want to take the trade in for my 13 PM in store. Can I do that or do I need to ship it back?

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
I picked up in store on 9/22 at Apple through T-Mobile. I received my trade in kit but I want to take the trade in for my 13 PM in store. Can I do that or do I need to ship it back?
You should be able to return it in store as long as you aren't on the iUP plan.

BradLA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
I mailed my phone out 9/27/23. It was supposed to be delivered 9/28. The last update was 9/27 at 8PM “Left FedEx origin facility”, and the phone pretty much stopped moving with no estimated delivery date now. I did chat with someone on apple.com, but if the phone has no movements this week, will definitely be calling apple support.

I mailed my phone at FedEx on 9/26 (and made sure to get a receipt). It was supposed to be delivered Friday. There's been no update since "Out for Delivery" on Friday morning, the Scheduled Delivery Date is "Pending." I'm not going to worry yet but I am keeping a close eye on it.

BradLA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
One thing i would have done was to use a different box to ship the phone in but then they still would know based on label. This is why I prefer to do the in store trade in. I do understand that not everyone lives close by.

I thought about this, but like you said, the label. So it really doesn't matter. I took photos of my sealed box at home and inside the FedEx store before I handed it over. On the shipping label in a pretty big font it says "TIK KIT" and it's being sent to Apple Elk Grove.

The cashier at FedEx even said when I handed it to him: "iPhone trade in? We're getting a lot of these."

Not a whole lot of secrecy here.

Reactions: StudioMacs

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Seeing this type of activity infuriates me. I feel nothing but rage toward these scumbag drivers / employees who should be fired and dealt with accordingly. Sorry OP. It should all work out.

Same BS happened to me with a PS5 bundle that I ordered from GameStop. Dealing with FedEx got me nowhere, so I filed a chargeback with my credit card and also GameStop worked with me, so it all worked out in the end.

Reactions: icanhazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.