Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
I received my trade-in credit today so all ended well even though FedEx likes to steal phones.
Apologies to reply to few weeks old thread, however did you have to open claim with FedEx too or just Apple?

Similar situation here and Apple said to check back with them [Apple] in a few days- yet FedEx says open claim on their website.

Glad I’m not alone. I agree it’s crazy amount of theft. :mad:

Reactions: CVUSA

mpaquette

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
Apologies to reply to few weeks old thread, however did you have to open claim with FedEx too or just Apple?

Similar situation here and Apple said to check back with them [Apple] in a few days- yet FedEx says open claim on their website.

Glad I’m not alone. I agree it’s crazy amount of theft. :mad:
I opened a claim with FedEx. Also replied to the email from Apple telling me they received an empty box for my trade-in. I also included the model, color, and SN of my phone in that email to Apple.

Reactions: AppleWes

G&N

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2023
It happened to me and I just told Apple what happened, and they started an investigation and in a few days I got a callback saying that I was not liable and would receive refund in a few days. Nothing to be worried about, they know what to do and they will find out and at least the insurance would cover it anyways.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
I have had many electronics "lost" by FedEx and UPS over the years - in particular, UPS. They lost at least two PowerBooks.

Keep on top of the claims process. Make sure you're the one that needs to file the claim. Keep track of who you speak to with FedEx and Apple. While it might not be entirely relevant because I can't remember if this was FedEx or UPS, I filed a claim regarding a PowerBook being lost in shipment, was told the investigation was ongoing, waited the requisite number of days, and was then told the other party needed to file a claim, not me.

Ultimately, in almost every instance, the Better Business Bureau ultimately got me squared away and I eventually received compensation, because the shipper and the sellers (Amazon & Apple) stonewalled.

G&N

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2023
Don't worry. Apple knows what it's doing.
111.png

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
It happened to me and I just told Apple what happened, and they started an investigation and in a few days I got a callback saying that I was not liable and would receive refund in a few days. Nothing to be worried about, they know what to do and they will find out and at least the insurance would cover it anyways.
Update for my situation- same here, chatted with Apple Support and a few days later just got the email my trade in was accepted/amount approved.

Appreciate everyone's advice!! Another reason I always (only) purchase through Apple directly. This saved a lot of headaches and didn't have to file claim with FedEx. Hopefully karma is watching employees who steal if iPhone boxes are magically 'empty' when received for trade in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.