Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpaquette

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
Add me to the list of people that likely had FedEx steal their trade-in phone. I dropped my trade-in off at FedEx in person on 9/29. The phone was packaged in Apple’s trade-in box and taped with their tape. This morning I received the email below from Apple. I replied to the email with the information they requested, including the SN. I’m going to contact FedEx next.

We need to confirm some information about the trade-in kit you recently returned to Apple. Unfortunately, there was no item inside the trade-in kit we received. For Apple to continue processing your trade-in, please reply to this email with the following information:
  • A description of the item(s) you included in the trade-in kit.
  • A description of how you packaged the items inside, and how you sealed the trade-in kit prior to sending it to Apple.
If we don't hear back from you in the next 6 business days, your trade-in may be cancelled and you will not receive your credit.
We apologize for the inconvenience, and look forward to hearing from you soon.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Looking for feedback or advice from anyone who's had a similar issue. Am I don't everything right? Is there more I can do? Thanks.

So, Got my 15 Pro Max and a couple days later got my return kit. Transferred to the new phone, wiped the old one, securely put it in the return kit, made sure the label was on there securely, even put extra (clear) tape on the box to hold it shut. All was good. Dropped it off to Fedex. I usually follow the shipping on any outgoing packages I send out to make sure things go smooth, so I was checking the FedEx tracking daily. They scanned it so I know they got it in their possession. But after the third scan and it was in another city by then the status changed to "Shipment Exception - Unable to deliver"

That seemed quite concerning to me so I called FedEx and they told me the box was open/empty, I knew right then and there that some kind of theft must have taken place. I asked to speak to a supervisor... eventually I get to opening a case file and an investigation on the issue. I then call Apple (who is waiting on the return so they can process it) and give them the case file and explain all that has happened, and they are now opening an investigation on their end too.

Pretty much all I have to do right now is wait for updates because I'm powerless to do much else. I have to hope they rule in my favor and the shipping insurance will cover it... assuming it was even insured by Apple, which I hope (assume) it was?

Both FedEx and Apple have the serial number and model number, etc. I gave them as much info as I could.

What else can I do? Anyone else been through this? How did it turn out?

Thanks
Just wait. Follow-up with Apple and FedEx every two days until everything is straightened up by both. Next time, take pictures or videos when you put phone in box, close the box with phone in it and sealed it as evidence if needed. Wish the best to have the issue handled well!

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I didn’t like the idea of closing the box with the thin little piece of tape in the trade in kit. I used packaging tape on the 3 sides of the box (everywhere except the “hinge” for the lid). Obviously a knife would easily open it even with the packaging tape, but the single piece of tape from Apple seemed flimsy and didn’t inspire confidence the package wouldn’t accidentally open.

I photographed it to show the condition of the phone before putting it in and sealing the box, and took photos of the sealed box to show it was secure. I do this every time, and luckily I’ve never needed the photos.

mpaquette

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
Add me to the list of people that likely had FedEx steal their trade-in phone. I dropped my trade-in off at FedEx in person on 9/29. The phone was packaged in Apple’s trade-in box and taped with their tape. This morning I received the email below from Apple. I replied to the email with the information they requested, including the SN. I’m going to contact FedEx next.

We need to confirm some information about the trade-in kit you recently returned to Apple. Unfortunately, there was no item inside the trade-in kit we received. For Apple to continue processing your trade-in, please reply to this email with the following information:
  • A description of how you packaged the items inside, and how you sealed the trade-in kit prior to sending it to Apple.
If we don't hear back from you in the next 6 business days, your trade-in may be cancelled and you will not receive your credit.
Update on mine. As mysteriously as my device disappeared, it apparently re-appeared. I received the email below from Apple. At the very least, I think their trade in process is a bit disorganized.

We've concluded our investigation and will be issuing you a trade-in credit based upon the original quoted value.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you again for shopping with Apple.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Same just happened to me on my Apple Ultra trade in. FedEx says to “box was damaged” and it was undeliverable. “Box damaged” is the code word at FedEx Ground for our employee stole the contents. One day Apple will learn that FedEx Ground employees are thieves and liars.

About a month ago my security camera caught the FedEx Ground driver leaving my package at the street with an exception note that my gate was locked and he could not deliver to the door per my instructions. I have no gate!

Reactions: AlphaGuitarist

bchapxtc

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2015
Columbus, OH

The same thing happened to me. I told Apple I used the tape that they provided to seal the box. Apple wrote me back and said they completed their investigation and were honoring the quoted amount!

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
One day Apple will learn that FedEx Ground employees are thieves and liars.
Apple gets a special low rate, and in exchange they agree not to file claims against the transportation company. I imagine they have a few spreadsheets comparing the savings on shipping costs under this arrangement versus the amount they would recover in claims for "lost" shipments.

Recon73

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
United States
If you can't trade in at the Apple Store, always get a receipt from the shipper showing the weight of the box and that it was scanned into their system. Once you do that, keep your receipt and you are no longer under obligation past showing proof that the phone was received by the carrier.
This is what I did.

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
Apple gets a special low rate, and in exchange they agree not to file claims against the transportation company. I imagine they have a few spreadsheets comparing the savings on shipping costs under this arrangement versus the amount they would recover in claims for "lost" shipments.
I hope they still have some kind of reporting to FedEx because they need to research and fire drivers even if they are not paying out claims.

The problem is every box is exactly the same size, there are a ton of them every fall, and they say AI (i.e. Apple Inc) as the recipient in big print. Everyone knows what is in the boxes. As suggested elsewhere, use your own box and secure it VERY well. And use tamper-evident tape.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle

No claims policy? That info would surely be known by FedEx employees looking for scores. FedEx has a problem on its hands with employee thieves. Period.

mpaquette

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
It definitely seems like FedEx and Apple have a problem on their hands here. If Apple wants to look the other way while they pay out trade-in claims and FedEx employees steal phones, I guess that’s their problem. I’m relieved Apple says they will credit me for my missing trade-in. I can only hope Apple is putting these SNs and/or IMEIs on a “do not activate” list to make the stolen phones worthless to whoever has them.

Reactions: AppleWes

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I had this happen two years ago. After a few weeks Apple informed me they didnt receive the phone and I need to pay the difference. It took some back and forth with Customer Service but after a month they agreed the phone was stolen and gave me credit for the exchange. It was a hassle and I hope this works out for you.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022

As long as Apple is willing to pay for what the FedEx employees stole, I can not complain! My iPhone 14 PM is now in a box hoping it will not suffer the same fate. I triple wrapped the box with heavy duty tape so they will have to cut it to get it out of the box. The boxes are easy to rip the end off and slide out the device.

Reactions: compwiz1202

a.y.n

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
San Francisco
I recently returned an iPad Pro (express AppleCare+ replacement), and same thing happened, I think somewhere along the route it got stolen. Contacted Apple via chat and they opened an investigation, a few days later I got an email saying they closed the investigation and refunded the charge to my credit card.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Furman

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2015
Greenville, SC
FedEx lost my return iPhone two years ago. I never knew if the phone ever made it, but I had my tracking receipt so everything turned out okay.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Apple should take this up directly with FedEx. Start doing chargebacks for each stolen phone, or cancel the contract. Because this excrement is raising prices for all of us.

NeoSe7en

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2017
That’s a strange move on FedEx’s part. They have to be getting the short end on that one. Even if Apple is only getting a penny or so off of every shipment they’re saving millions in exchange for a small handful of lost devices.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
After reading all the nightmares people experienced with FedEx, I (well, my wife) got to experience it first-hand. Her iPhone 15 Plus was delivered yesterday and FedEx just left it on our front porch (which was a red flag since we thought it needed to be signed for). As soon as I picked up the box, I immediately felt the box was way too light. I also noticed the box was ripped at one end.

Lo and behold, I ripped open the box and there was nothing in there (not even the iPhone box was in there). Reached out to Apple and they opened a case and are looking into it. Needless to say, my wife is not happy as she was looking forward to her new iPhone.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I hope they still have some kind of reporting to FedEx because they need to research and fire drivers even if they are not paying out claims.

The problem is every box is exactly the same size, there are a ton of them every fall, and they say AI (i.e. Apple Inc) as the recipient in big print. Everyone knows what is in the boxes. As suggested elsewhere, use your own box and secure it VERY well. And use tamper-evident tape.
Still would require the Apple address. an outside lithium sticker and ground transportation.

mpaquette

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
Update on mine. As mysteriously as my device disappeared, it apparently re-appeared. I received the email below from Apple. At the very least, I think their trade in process is a bit disorganized.

We've concluded our investigation and will be issuing you a trade-in credit based upon the original quoted value.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you again for shopping with Apple.
I received my trade-in credit today so all ended well even though FedEx likes to steal phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.