Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
apple fanboys don’t realize they live in a bubble and android phone hardware and experience is excellent these days

apple is relying on ecosystem lock-in and customer familiarity not merit

No kidding
I spent 30 mins playing with an S24 and S24+ and then a Fold over at BestBuy the other day.

I was blown away at how great it was to use - the speed and feel of it all was awesome.
Beautiful hardware

Reactions: gusmula and pappl

Mojohanna32

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Deeply concerning.

Something is rotting at Apple. I think it is Tim Cook.
The economy in China is way worse than most know. People graduating from colleges cannot find jobs. Its estimated by some of the folks I know over there that unemployment among the college graduates is around 30%. This is typically Apple's sweet spot. young people with cash.
You are seeing a shift to less expensive models in China. This is not an Apple problem in my opinion. Its an economic problem on a larger scale than what is typically reported in the west.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
This is not an Apple problem in my opinion. Its an economic problem on a larger scale than what is typically reported in the west.

Which is an Apple problem no matter what.

Chinese demand is a large portion of what has driven the iPhone through the stratosphere.
It's not people in the West.

A problem with demand there is a massive problem for Apple

Reactions: 1Peace

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
It is amazing how long Apple was able to survive Tim Cook's inadequate marketing and innovative brain. Sure, Apple needs to cater to shareholders and their desires for maximizing profit, but sometimes you make a few dollars less on units to deliver more value to customers, who will in turn show loyalty and buy more. This was why customers hardly ever complained to Apple under Jobs about Apple products being "overpriced."

In fact, people were lining up all day to buy Apple products at launch. You don't see that anymore, and don't bring up online sales for that because people were lining up for days to buy iPhone 4 when they could've just ordered online.

Chinese folks don't think it's worth paying extra to get Apple products anymore. iPhone was always the most expensive phone in the market; yet under jobs people lined up for days to get it. Not anymore.

If Apple doesn't change the leadership, it will be facing slow death.
When Jobs was alive the iPhone was a NEW SHINY THING. That brought excitement. When a product is mature you see less year-to-year changes and less excitement. Sure they could innovate more. But not much more can be done with a phone slab other than improving all the innards. I personally believe the Vision Pro is something NEW and SHINY but just limited by how much it costs to make it currently. Much more than a phone does. I'm not so sure Jobs would have had any other ways to "innovate" than the current trajectory. But it is armchair quaterbacking for sure.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
My guess is that there are two main reasons for this decline:

1) iPhones are way too expensive for the vast majority of Chinese people;

2) A growing anti-American sentiment amongst the Chinese.

The first one is relatively simple to fix, the second one is more complicated.
Not really, huawei is just better

If it’s because of these two reasons, iPhone sale would’ve tanked last year or earlier

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Interesting that sales of Chinese-branded smartphones increased by about the same amount as Apple's iPhones decreased. This tells me that the notoriously meddling Chinese Communist Party [CCP] has made SUGGESTIONS kind of like "prove to us that you need an iPhone instead of one of our own products".

More indicative of the "notoriously meddling don't teach basic math anymore " party. Percent,%, is "per 100" ( that is why the symbol has two 0 zeros with a divisor going through them. ) . Each one of the columns in the chart should add up to 100% . ( technically they don't. Likely because of rounding to present nice single , digit whole numbers. 99% and 101% respectively. Another digit of precision and they'll likely round to 100%. ). Since the total has to add up to 100, if Apple's numbers go down then other numbers will go up by the same amount. It isn't a conspiracy by the CCP ... it is just basic math. it is how percentages work. This isn't unit sales numbers. Everyone's numbers are being divided by the aggregate total. That aggregate total is a fixed amount for any individual year here. The 'same amount' is driven by the mathematical tool doing the measuring.

The "others" category has other non-Chinese vendors in it too and it only dropped by 1%. The other Chinese phone vendors already were the dominate players in the market. ( not particularly surprising when almost everyones phones regardless of vendor are being made in China. ) . If Apple losses share, it is most likely that most of the share will go to another significantly large competitor in the market.

The CCP meddling in their economy , dubious zig-zags on COVID policy , saber rattling around Taiwan , anti-competitive trade practices, rigid fixation on "one child policy" for too long are all playing some indirect roles here. However, Apple's prices are relatively too high ( which the CCP does not set). Apple's SE4 is stalled ( in sagging economy have even more 'stale' lower priced options.). Apple is ramping up factories outside of China ( pragmatically everything in one relatively narrow geographical region never made risk management sense anyway and never was the CCP's call to make.) . So there are arrogant, 'bonehead' moves that Apple has made also.

And Apple's share is higher in the USA than vast majority of other countries. Meddling by the USA government? Not really. ( no Huawei phone coming to USA any time soon , but they never were a substantive player in USA anyway. )

The CCP can be exceedingly and dangerously nasty when its SUGGESTIONS are ignored. China is a dictatorship that is one of the worst kinds of markets to do business in because they can be so arbitrary.

CCP banning iPhones from government employees wasn't a 'suggestion'. That isn't the total of Apple's fall. There are trade war moves to directly damage the competitiveness of several Chinese government coupled companies. The kicking Apple in the 'shins' here isn't completely arbitrary or 'suggestive'.

Nor is it particularly arbitrary that they will come after your IP if it falls into a strategically or tactically desirable designation. The "billion person market" is used a a lure, but it always was a lure. It was just whether companies wanted to ignore it or not.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
So many reasons being given that perhaps aren't the main reason

iPhone innovation has stagnated relative to options in the marketplace, especially in China

AeroEd

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2023
Article completely fails to mention, presumably because the analyst is not allowed to say, that Apple products are banned from purchase by officials at central government agencies. They are also not allowed to bring them into the office. Communist China has a lot of officials.

[Source: https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-bans-govt-officials-using-iphone-work-wsj-2023-09-06/]
Alls fair in love and war and capitalism. We banned hauwei and other china phones, so they will do the same

@Brett

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2016
innovate or die in the Chinese market.
Nothing to do with it. The Chinese government was banning government officials from using iOS devices. Not a lot of innovation going on just a fair bit of IP theft and throwing stuff at the wall.

• Disagree
Reactions: deaglecat

@Brett

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2016
Chinese market is the most competitive and has brought the most innovations for quite a while.

The complete chip ban on Huawei only held them back for two years. They build everything needed to produce their own chips, in a country where no one makes chips.. Meanwhile Apple still cannot make a 5g modem or a car.
Are you serious? Huawei latest phone was not great and the chip in it was a joke. People really need to stop listening to propaganda. And the chips they did so called make were with western foundries. So not created themselves at all.

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
Wut have you seen what other brands have done?
Nothing game changing. All brands are just small improvements at this point. Other than maybe foldable, but I personally don't see that as compelling as I like touching glass and haven't felt that my iPhone is too big to carry around.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
It's imperative for Apple to prioritize the enhancement of its product quality. Issues like millennial bugs, exorbitant pricing for Apple One/iCloud storage, and notably subpar hardware features need to be addressed promptly.

Apple's approach seems to be centered around maximizing profits by pushing boundaries with pricing, only to later introduce updates or fixes to regain consumer trust.

In essence, Apple needs to focus on delivering consistent quality and value rather than relying on strategies that may compromise customer satisfaction in the long run.

How is this relevant for Apple's decline in the last 5 months in the Chinese market?

Do you think a change to this would increase their market share in China?

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
It's imperative for Apple to prioritize the enhancement of its product quality. Issues like millennial bugs, exorbitant pricing for Apple One/iCloud storage, and notably subpar hardware features need to be addressed promptly.

Apple's approach seems to be centered around maximizing profits by pushing boundaries with pricing, only to later introduce updates or fixes to regain consumer trust.

In essence, Apple needs to focus on delivering consistent quality and value rather than relying on strategies that may compromise customer satisfaction in the long run.
I agree, excellent points. Going forward internally Apple can address these issues, if they choose. However, externally the political landscape in China looks dismal for Apple's growth. I believe the best Apple can do is stop /slow the slide.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
I understand that critiquing Apple in a forum primarily for Apple enthusiasts can be challenging.
However, it's essential to highlight when certain hardware specifications, such as 128GB storage, 60Hz display, and around ~3400mAh battery capacity, and many others persist for years without significant improvement. This kind of game (using lower-quality components) can't last forever.

While this may save costs for Apple initially, it becomes increasingly apparent when competitors continuously offer similar or even better specifications, such as 256GB storage, 120Hz display, and battery capacities exceeding 4000mAh for standard models, often at a lower price point.

Is this really a problem for Apple in the Chinese market?

Shouldn't Samsung have a bigger market share than Apple then?

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Chinese folks don't think it's worth paying extra to get Apple products anymore. iPhone was always the most expensive phone in the market; yet under jobs people lined up for days to get it. Not anymore.

If Apple doesn't change the leadership, it will be facing slow death.

Under Tim Cook, Apple rose to become the biggest smartphone vendor in China! Samsung was essentially wiped out from the Chinese market.

It's only in last 6 months that Apple has lost the #1 spot. If you follow news about China you'll know it's not all about the price or the quality of the product.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I see several people pushing the idea that the fall in iPhone sales is because of a smaller market. This is, in the main, not true.
  • The market has fallen 7%, but Apples sales have fallen 24%. Even taking out the 7% general fall, Apples sales have fallen 17%. That's a large fall in a short time.
  • Phones are having to be discounted to be sold. That means the average revenue per user is lower.
  • Much of Huawei's gain is coming from the Mate 60, which is similarly priced to the iPhone (iPhone 15 retails at 5999, but can be had for 500-1000 off - Mate 60 costs 5400). Based on a specs comparison, the Mate 60 spanks the iPhone in everything except raw performance - double the RAM and storage, larger, faster charging battery (including 50w wireless charging), user expandable memory (albeit proprietary), faster usb, etc. Suffice to say it is a high end phone, so Apple is not losing out because people are only buying cheap phones - people are actively buying high end phones, just not iPhones. From what I read, the only thing holding Huawei back from being even further ahead is shortage of supply.
So, we have a situation where Apple is selling significantly fewer phones compared to competitors, at a lower revenue yield per phone, with customers who have the money to buy iPhones choosing not to.

If this trend continues, it will soon become a calamity for Apple.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
iPhones just don't seem to be compelling any more. As a family we have 4 iPads, a Mac Mini a MacBook Air and 3 iPhones (11). Only my wife and I are Android phone holdouts.

[...]

How is this even relevant to the Chinese market?

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
My guess is that there are two main reasons for this decline:

1) iPhones are way too expensive for the vast majority of Chinese people;

2) A growing anti-American sentiment amongst the Chinese.

The first one is relatively simple to fix, the second one is more complicated.

This is the first (and only? edited: it seems a few others do have some knowledge about the Chinese market) post that seems to have some grasp about the Chinese smartphone market.

Although more Chinese people can afford an iPhone than a tiny minority.

Last edited:

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Is there an anti-American sentiment in China? I couldn’t say; I’m not there on the ground. I’m sure that is a factor but I suspect not the largest one.

Which if it was could explain the sales decrease instead of all the other things people have written here.

It's not an increase in anti-American sentiment in China but in an anti-Apple sentiment from a tiny, but powerful group of people in China which might explain some of it.

Tesla will experience the same thing.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
No kidding
I spent 30 mins playing with an S24 and S24+ and then a Fold over at BestBuy the other day.

I was blown away at how great it was to use - the speed and feel of it all was awesome.
Beautiful hardware

What's Samsungs market share in China?

Sometimes, how a market works hasn't anything to do with hardware or software quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.