Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
The clusterf*ck of confusion Apple has got itself into when it comes to their products fragmentation and branding, is just astonishing.

Reactions: SeattleMoose

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
why is 4" too small? are humans less able to see than they were 5 years ago? what's changed other than your perception?
ive had an XS, my wife has an 11 pro. i still prefer the SE.

the font size is basically the same, icons are the same size, the only difference is less rows of them.
And your hand can still reach everything on the 4" phone, unlike the new ones (unless you have really long fingers). The fact that people get plunger holds on the back says something. I wish I got the SE instead of the 6, but it was a gift.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I don't think naming it 9 makes sense since they now sell iPhone 11. I get that the phone will be cheaper, but it'd feel like buying a phone 2 generations old.
iPhone 9 would have been a good name if they launched the product this year with iPhone Xs.
I also think they'll release iPhone 12 next fall, they won't call it 11s as iPhone 11s pro max would sound awful, so in a few months iPhone 9 would look 3 generations behind the flagship product, too risky from a marketing perspective.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
why is 4" too small? are humans less able to see than they were 5 years ago? what's changed other than your perception?
ive had an XS, my wife has an 11 pro. i still prefer the SE.

the font size is basically the same, icons are the same size, the only difference is less rows of them.

Because the market and demand for smartphones has changed since 2013/2014. People want bigger phones now. And larger batteries. They expect higher screen resolutions, and a better camera with more features. Maybe not you, but the majority of users. iPhone 6 and 6 Plus sold 220 million units combined, there's a reason for that.

Name me one current Android phone with similar dimensions to the SE that was released in the last couple of years and has decent specs and maybe even still gets Android 10 (the latest).

I get that some folks want a more compact phone, sure, but honestly, 4.7" is fine. Every current Android phone is larger than that. Who still makes phones similar to the SE in size?

A phone manufacturer has to follow the market to make profits. And 4" doesn't really sell anymore. It's just outdated, 90% prefer screens larger than that. Apple can't focus on every single customer. Apple doesn't care if they lose you as a customer or not. A few hundred or maybe thousand people complain about a missing 4" model, yes. But Tens of Millions of users are happy with their iPhone 6 - 8, or X/Xs, or Xr/11.

You literally meant that nothing has changed in the last 5 years? What? Smartphones did improve a lot in the last 5 years. (I have read your other post.) It's a difference like night and day. From the Display Type and Resolution plus features Like True Tone and P3, to the Chipset (huge performance increase), Speakers, Camera and Camera features etc... maybe you don't care about this stuff, that's alright, but that doesn't mean that the innovation never took place.

You have said it yourself, you use your SE as a phone and to listen to podcasts. With all respect, maybe you should just get a flip phone and a MP3 player for your podcasts if Apple doesn't give you your 3.5" - 4" phone?

I'd say wait until the rumored 5.4" model that will be only slightly larger than the SE of what i have heard. Maybe that phone will be the right phone for you, we'll see.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
Because the market and demand for smartphones has changed since 2013/2014. People want bigger phones now. And larger batteries. They expect higher screen resolutions, and a better camera with more features. Maybe not you, but the majority of users. iPhone 6 and 6 Plus sold 220 million units combined, there's a reason for that.

Name me one current Android phone with similar dimensions to the SE that was released in the last couple of years and has decent specs and maybe even still gets Android 10 (the latest).

I get that some folks want a more compact phone, sure, but honestly, 4.7" is fine. Every current Android phone is larger than that. Who still makes phones similar to the SE in size?

A phone manufacturer has to follow the market to make profits. And 4" doesn't really sell anymore. It's just outdated, 90% prefer screens larger than that. Apple can't focus on every single customer. Apple doesn't care if they lose you as a customer or not. A few hundred or maybe thousand people complain about a missing 4" model, yes. But Tens of Millions of users are happy with their iPhone 6 - 8, or X/Xs, or Xr/11.

You literally meant that nothing has changed in the last 5 years? What? Smartphones did improve a lot in the last 5 years. (I have read your other post.) It's a difference like night and day. From the Display Type and Resolution plus features Like True Tone and P3, to the Chipset (huge performance increase), Speakers, Camera and Camera features etc... maybe you don't care about this stuff, that's alright, but that doesn't mean that the innovation never took place.

You have said it yourself, you use your SE as a phone and to listen to podcasts. With all respect, maybe you should just get a flip phone and a MP3 player for your podcasts if Apple doesn't give you your 3.5" - 4" phone?

I'd say wait until the rumored 5.4" model that will be only slightly larger than the SE of what i have heard. Maybe that phone will be the right phone for you, we'll see.
but why would it hurt you for apple to sell a 4" phone? you don't have to buy it. why do you and others seem personally offended that we disagree with your desire to carry a tablet sized phone? are you insecure and need us to praise you? i don't care what you want, or like.. good for you.. but why do you feel the need to impart your views on others?

as for my needs i've explained why a smartphone is useful for contact management and typing. one can also sync contacts etc across multiple employees phones.

and honestly no the differences are not night and day. they are small incremental improvements. like i said i've had an XS, wife has 11 pro. and its not a revolutionary experience using them compared to my SE.

and how do you know they are happy? you trust apple to give us what we want? hello butterfly keyboard and touch bar....... maybe they are just forced to buy what's available because they need a phone and are wishing to stick with apple. judging by the hundreds of threads on here and comments on places like youtube there is a strong demand for smaller phones. take a look at any youtube video and see the countless comments..
plus just look around you.. you cannot say people are happy because they are selling (slowing sales btw) because they don't have a choice.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
but why would it hurt you for apple to sell a 4" phone? you don't have to buy it. why do you and others seem personally offended that we disagree with your desire to carry a tablet sized phone? are you insecure and need us to praise you? i don't care what you want, or like.. good for you.. but why do you feel the need to impart your views on others?

as for my needs i've explained why a smartphone is useful for contact management and typing. one can also sync contacts etc across multiple employees phones.

and honestly no the differences are not night and day. they are small incremental improvements. like i said i've had an XS, wife has 11 pro. and its not a revolutionary experience using them compared to my SE.

and how do you know they are happy? you trust apple to give us what we want? hello butterfly keyboard and touch bar....... maybe they are just forced to buy what's available because they need a phone and are wishing to stick with apple. judging by the hundreds of threads on here and comments on places like youtube there is a strong demand for smaller phones. take a look at any youtube video and see the countless comments..
plus just look around you.. you cannot say people are happy because they are selling (slowing sales btw) because they don't have a choice.

I was just trying to explain to you that the market isn't there anymore.

It wouldn't hurt me. I would be happy for you if Apple would give you your 4" phone, honestly. But i totally understand them for no longer making them, and i get why it's no longer happening. Every 2020 SE speculation thread (there were quite a few in the last couple months) is filled with complaints and whining of SE lovers that just want a 4" phone, stretched over pages. Maybe it's me, but i just cannot understand how in the world 4.7" is too large. I had my 6s for almost 3 years, and i used it one-handed 90% of the time. It worked fine. Android phones are larger than that.

And yes, the Xs to 11 Pro is very incremental, so is 7 to 8 or X or Xs, i give you that. But iPhone 6 to X isn't. But we can debate over that. Sure, if you only do phone calls + podcasts + route navigation (whatever your need is) i guess it doesn't really matter if you use the SE or the Xs. Apart from the size obviously. I would also never get the latest model every single year, because it's too incremental.

And regarding people complaining in YouTube Comments and on MacRumors: Yes there are many folks on YouTube and MacRumors etc... and on similar pages and they do want their 4" model back, yes. But keep in mind, that the average consumer isn't on these pages and they don't chat much about tech / iPhones and they do not know the difference between each phone and how hardware works etc. Not trying to be disrespectful to anyone, it's just how it is. The Average Joe just uses their phone and they are fine with 4.7" or larger. Some may have a SE, some don't. We on MacRumors do not really represent one billion iOS users, only a small part of that.

And people do have a choice. Apple sells plenty of current-gen iPhones starting with the iPhone 8 and Apple offers so many iPhones in the line-up nowadays and Android phones are also selling strong. There are so many different smartphone brands, models and manufacturers out there.

But maybe i'm wrong and Apple decides to do that 5.4" all-screen iPhone similar sized to the SE.

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
I was just trying to explain to you that the market isn't there anymore.

It wouldn't hurt me. I would be happy for you if Apple would give you your 4" phone, honestly. But i totally understand them for no longer making them, and i get why it's no longer happening. Every 2020 SE speculation thread (there were quite a few in the last couple months) is filled with complaints and whining of SE lovers that just want a 4" phone, stretched over pages. Maybe it's me, but i just cannot understand how in the world 4.7" is too large. I had my 6s for almost 3 years, and i used it one-handed 90% of the time. It worked fine. Android phones are larger than that.

And yes, the Xs to 11 Pro is very incremental, so is 7 to 8 or X or Xs, i give you that. But iPhone 6 to X isn't. But we can debate over that. Sure, if you only do phone calls + podcasts + route navigation (whatever your need is) i guess it doesn't really matter if you use the SE or the Xs. Apart from the size obviously. I would also never get the latest model every single year, because it's too incremental.

And regarding people complaining in YouTube Comments and on MacRumors: Yes there are many folks on YouTube and MacRumors etc... and on similar pages and they do want their 4" model back, yes. But keep in mind, that the average consumer isn't on these pages and they don't chat much about tech / iPhones and they do not know the difference between each phone and how hardware works etc. Not trying to be disrespectful to anyone, it's just how it is. The Average Joe just uses their phone and they are fine with 4.7" or larger. Some may have a SE, some don't. We on MacRumors do not really represent one billion iOS users, only a small part of that.

And people do have a choice. Apple sells plenty of current-gen iPhones starting with the iPhone 8 and Apple offers so many iPhones in the line-up nowadays and Android phones are also selling strong. There are so many different smartphone brands, models and manufacturers out there.

But maybe i'm wrong and Apple decides to do that 5.4" all-screen iPhone similar sized to the SE.
if there's no market how did costco sell hundreds of thousands of the SE this summer in just a few days? each store had skids full of them, plus online. they lasted about 3 days. A regional manager for costco told me they were one of their top selling items when in stock. same when apple had them on the refurbish store. a friend manages multiple cell phone stores. they have a constant request for something smaller than they stock, especially from people who don't comment on stuff like this. the bigger phones never sell out nor attract a rush.

and i disagree. what does an 11pro do that is fundamentally different from a 6? everything that works on a 11 pro works basically the same on an 6 or SE, except maybe high end games. the changes are minor at best.
and yes im talking about more than my basic needs, my wife uses hers extensively, and ill borrow hers if i need to when i leave my phone or laptop elsewhere. and they simply don't work that differently.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
I am so ready for this! My 7 has been giving me issues as of late so I'll be ready to upgrade whenever this gets released.

trfc54

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2019
Will this likely have dual sim? If so and if it gets close to + phone or xr level battery life, if is a 100% buy for me.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Will this likely have dual sim? If so and if it gets close to + phone or xr level battery life, if is a 100% buy for me.
If I had to guess I’d say it’ll be the same as iPhone 8, not sure if that’s dual SIM or not. re: battery life, as far as we know it’ll be the same size as the 8, so I don’t think it will have the battery life of a Plus or iPhone XR. Maybe a little better since the SoC might use less power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.