Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScooterComputer

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
It’s exactly like the SE: off-season intro, $399 pricing, re-using older design, latest processor, smallest available display, etc.

The only difference is it’s 4.7” instead of 4.0”.
That doesn't tell the entire story. And, therefore, this will NOT BE "exactly like the SE".

When the SE was released, Apple had introduced two new chassis, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, both being significantly larger than the iPhone 5s they succeeded. There existed vocal user sentiment for **18 months following** that release, even following the release of the updated versions of those chassis, the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, that a significant number of users wanted the SMALLER chassis and were not upgrading. It wasn't so much about the money until Apple eventually made it about the money… it was all about the size. And there is good reason for that: Apple itself stood on stage over multiple years/introductions and said that their designers were the best, knew best, and that the smaller chassis they produced was best… starkly in the face of stunning Android handset growth driven largely in Asia of larger screen sizes.

So Apple had sold the idea for three years that smaller was better, and there is a significant iPhone userbase who believes that. I believe that. I didn't want an iPhone 6… or a 6s… or a 7… or an 8… or a X… or a XS… much less a XR… I've had over five years to "eat" the change of Apple's design direction. Only… I'm not. And obviously many others are not. What's ironic to me is the number of Apple "fans" who seem not to actually agree with Apple's Designers, in principle, but merely just do as they're told… very audience in the '1984' ad, in my humble opinion. We want a pocketable, powerful phone, at a price reflective that it isn't a "flagship" in features or timeliness.

Once again, this isn't that, it isn't "exactly" the same. iPhone 9" makes sense as a name, it is an iteration after all. It makes sense for what it will be. But I see it selling no better or worse than the iPhone 8 is selling at this point. The people who are cost-conscious above all else are typically not great, loyal customers, they're just cheap. OTOH, loyal Apple customers like myself still feel Apple is failing to listen, and even failing to understand the greatness of their own design insights. And that's the real "only difference". And the iPhone 9 will not sell to those folks. It just won't. We've had our chance, and we're still very vocally asking for the smaller chassis.

My next iPhone is likely to be a used iPhone XS or 11 Pro. I see no reason to buy retail for a device I didn't want. And I'm not going any bigger than I have to, nor upgrading for any thing less than revolutionary features. Benefit to Apple for forgetting the sense of their own design history: $0.

Last edited:

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London

The widely rumored "iPhone SE 2" might actually be named the iPhone 9, according to an "informed source" cited by Japanese blog Mac Otakara.

The report reiterates that the device will have a similar form factor as the iPhone 8, including a 4.7-inch display with bezels and a Touch ID home button, but with a faster A13 Bionic chip. 3GB of RAM is also expected. Like the original iPhone SE, the device is not expected to support 3D Touch.

iphone-se-and-iphone-8-800x495.jpg

iPhone 9 would certainly be a more fitting name for the device given it sounds like more of an iPhone 8 successor than an iPhone SE successor. With a 4.7-inch display, the new device would be larger than the original iPhone SE with a 4-inch display, disappointing those who prefer a smaller phone.

The lower-cost iPhone, whatever it ends up being named, will likely start around $399 with 64GB of storage, and come in Space Gray, Silver, and Red, according to reputable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Multiple reports have indicated the device will be released by the end of the first quarter of 2020.

The original iPhone SE was introduced at an Apple event in March 2016, so a March 2020 release is certainly possible for this next device.

Article Link: iPhone SE 2 Might Actually Be Called the iPhone 9
Why aren't they just calling it iPhone Classic?

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
yes please release a $400, 64 GB non expandable memory, 4.7 inch LCD phone in 2020... who needs a time machine to go back in time when we have Apple ?

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Either it's an 8s or a 9.

Either way, it's a damn good "starter" iPhone !

I don't believe it's intended as an upgrade option, ONLY for newbies into iOS.

I believe the Back Camera's image sensor will be 8 Mpx ... 3 GB today isn't what 3 GB was back when Apple introduced their first 3 GB DRAM iPhone, the 7+, which was a speed demon with its RAM.

Today, Apple doesn't release 12 Mpx iPhones with ONLY 3 GB !

They learned their lesson with the X & XR .. XS got its 3.7 GB, & the 11 got it's 3.7-3.8 GB.

Once it becomes common knowledge that the 8s/9 will ONLY have an 8 Mpx Back Camera image sensor, the enthusiasm for it will settle (way) down.

For those who don't know, a 12 Mpx image sensor is needed to capture in 4K ! ... provides the necessary border area for Image / Video Stabilization (& that is with OIS ALSO enabled).

Regardless, I believe the 8s/9 will sell EXTREMELY well ! ... especially to those under 12yo, & those over 65yo.

Reactions: jpn and raybo

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I like this idea because the iphone X was not named that because it was the 10th iteration; it was in homage of the 10 year anniversary and a tip of the hat to OSX.

Also likely: Apple had this planned ahead of time. This may surprise some, but companies, especially the size and scope of Apple, plan out products and services many years in advance.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
This actually makes sense. X, XR, 11, 12 etc all have Face ID and notches.

This new phone is an upgrade from the 8 (most likely) and the 8 will likely stop being sold.

And at the end of the day, it’s just a name.
yeah and it seems like sometimes they don't sweat that detail too much. Wasn't the 'R' in XR picked because "oh, well we just liked it" or something?

Reactions: newyorksole

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Sounds about right, I kind of like it. Anything prior to the 10 lacks face ID, anything post 10 would be with face ID. Especially if this is basically a "bump-up" of the iphone 8 (which is exactly what it sounds like)

Reactions: Mescagnus

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I'll be so glad when Apple blogs stop using "SE 2", because my hopes are lifted and immediately dashed almost every damn time I realize it's not a proper 4" followup.

Reactions: globalist

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
That doesn't tell the entire story. And, therefore, this will NOT BE "exactly like the SE".

When the SE was released, Apple had introduced two new chassis, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, both being significantly larger than the iPhone 5s they succeeded. There existed vocal user sentiment for **18 months following** that release, even following the release of the updated versions of those chassis a year later, the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, that a significant number of users wanted the SMALLER chassis and were not upgrading. It wasn't so much about the money until Apple eventually made it about the money… it was all about the size. And there is good reason for that: Apple itself stood on stage over multiple years/introductions and said that their designers were the best, knew best, and that the smaller chassis they produced was best… starkly in the face of stunning Android handset growth driven largely in Asia of larger screen sizes.

So Apple sold the idea for three years that smaller was better, and there is a significant iPhone userbase who believes that. I believe that. I didn't want an iPhone 6… or a 6s… or a 7… or an 8… or a X… or a XS… much less a XR… I've had over five years to "eat" the change of Apple's design direction. Only… I'm not. And obviously many others are not. What's ironic to me is the number of Apple "fans" who seem not to actually agree with Apple's Designers, in principle, but merely just do as they're told… very audience in the '1984' ad, in my humble opinion. We want a pocketable, powerful phone, at a price reflective that it isn't a "flagship" in features or timeliness.

Once again, this isn't that, it isn't "exactly" the same. iPhone 9" makes sense as a name, it is an iteration after all. But I see it selling no better or worse than the iPhone 8. The people who are cost-conscious above all else are typically not great, loyal customers, they're just cheap. OTOH, loyal Apple customers like myself still feel Apple is failing to listen, and even failing to understand the greatness of their own design insights. And that's the real "only difference".

My next iPhone is likely to be a used iPhone XS or 11 Pro. I see no reason to buy retail for a device I didn't want. And I'm not going any bigger than I have to, nor upgrading for any thing less than revolutionary features. Benefit to Apple for forgetting the sense of their design history: $0.
If you want an iPhone exactly like the SE, buy an SE. The “SE2” will have many if the exact same attributes as the original SE: off-season intro, $399 pricing, re-using older design, latest processor, smallest available display, etc. A couple obvious differences from the SE are that the display will be 4.7”, and it’ll have wireless charging. Many consider those as two nice upgrades.

In any case, it’ll be an awesome—and inexpensive—upgrade for anyone on a 6, 6S, 7 or 8. I would be at all surprised if they exceeded the 30 million in first year sales that Kuo predicts.

PS Apple’s fine with your buying a used device!

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Makes the most sense. Follow up to the iPhone 8, same form factor

Lineup will be
iPhone 9, XR, 11

Which is way more straightforward to the average person “do I get the 9, the 10(R) or the 11”

iJustines

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2019
How about an update to OLED for the iPhone 8s because it wouldn't make sense to just put a faster SoC.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I’m so confused, do they not know how to count?

I guess it could be argued that the naming and numbering scheme relates more to performance advancements.

There was no "iPhone 9" right? (trying to shake the cobwebs out of my head to remember). They jumped from the 8 to the X.

So to fill in a gap of tech maybe it makes some sense?

I dunno - it is a bit confusing haha.

Main thing here is that there will be this low cost "SE" (whatever SE is supposed to mean) type iPhone that will really do well to fill a gap for people who want certain features and price and performance. They shouldn't call it the iPhone 12 right? I think everyone will just figure it out and move on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.