Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Why? It looks a lot like an evolution of the 8 and nothing like a devolution of the 11. Is there something inherently ridiculous about the number 9 that’s lost on me?
Because numbers in Apple's lingo were generally case look, if you had a similar look you got the same number with a letter (well until Apple ran out of ideas and the 6, 7 and 8 all look the same). If we were strict about the evolution thing Apple would call it a iPhone 8s.

But a stronger reason is that calling it iPhone 9 instantly places it below anything with an X on its name. That would be not taking marketing advantage of the powerful A13 inside.
Which on other hand may be exactly what Apple wants considering they sell the XR for 600 USD. They could sell the "9" for 400 USD (effectively replacing the current 8 which is going for 449).

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
yeah and it seems like sometimes they don't sweat that detail too much. Wasn't the 'R' in XR picked because "oh, well we just liked it" or something?

Exactly. Well, I think Eddy Cue or 1 of the executives said that they love cars and a lot of cars use “S” or “R” to indicate something special. Nissan GTR, S Series etc.

And “SE” can mean Special Edition, which it kind of was.

But I guess they want to get away from R, C and SE.

xenti

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2019
I’m looking for a replacement for my 256GB iPhone 8, and I refuse to buy a notched display or a phone that uses FaceID.

This meets my requirements so long as 256 is available.

Reactions: jpn

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Can’t wait to see the testing with the network/antenna technology. This is where costs will be cut.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I’m looking for a replacement for my 256GB iPhone 8, and I refuse to buy a notched display or a phone that uses FaceID.

This meets my requirements so long as 256 is available.
It’s possible but 64/128, at least at the initial release, wouldn’t surprise me on the least. The XR is 64/128.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I wonder if they’ll make this slightly deeper/thicker like they did with the 11 pro phones?

That plus no 3D Touch should mean that the battery will be a lot bigger.

This is going to be a really nice phone, I think.

superiska123

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
I am honestly baffled that in 2019 we have 10+ different styles of hidden notches on phones to choose from, but we have absolutely no small phones on the market. A couple of years back, you could go as small as 4" or as big as 7", but now it's phablet or nothing... And no, the regular XS is not a small phone IMHO, and neither is the 8, truly...

That said, if I have to choose between an iPhone XS sized phone or an iPhone 8 sized phone, I'll take the 8, no doubt about it. While it's still bigger than the SE, the iPhone 8 is still smaller and lighter than 90% of other manufacturer's phones. That's why I'm very much looking forward to the 9/XE/SE 2/whatever name it ends up having.

Reactions: reallynotnick

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I fully agree that SE owners who bought the phone because of its size would prefer that. I'm one of those people.

Thankfully, that phone is coming, as long as you are willing to pay the going rate for an all-screen iPhone (which as you say, is what we want) along with the rest of the latest iPhone gadgetry and gimmickry.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fgordonkelly%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2FNew-iPhone-5.4-inch-Edited-1200x855.jpg

Apple should really start harmonizing it’s hardware design across the iPhone line. FaceID has been here for three years and it is also on the mid-tier priced option.Time to do away with TouchID or incorporate it on the power button for all models.

Hopefully the iPad line follows this suggested route in a year or two. Does it really make sense to keep purchasing the present form factor of TouchID when there is possibly a better method out there. Power button TouchID v.3 would be quite welcomed to keep the cost down and the device can have more usable screen and a smaller notch.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
If it has a larger screen, in the same for factor as the 8, and is called the 9. It's clearly not an iPhone SE successor.
[automerge]1575657851[/automerge]
Given that the original SE wasn't called the iPhone 6.8, I believe SE2 is very logical. People judge an iPhones worth at resale based on the sequential #. Everyone knows that the SE came out as a pause/interruption of that system about the time of the iPhone 6/6S. iPhone 9 disrupts both of those concepts. The average user is intelligent enough to know it premiered about the time of the iPhone 11, SE2 is completely appropriate...whereas iPhone 9 only serves to confuse.
Except that it isn't a successor to the SE it's a successor to the 8, so 9 makes more sense.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
I believe the Back Camera's image sensor will be 8 Mpx ... 3 GB today isn't what 3 GB was back when Apple introduced their first 3 GB DRAM iPhone, the 7+, which was a speed demon with its RAM.

Today, Apple doesn't release 12 Mpx iPhones with ONLY 3 GB !

They learned their lesson with the X & XR .. XS got its 3.7 GB, & the 11 got it's 3.7-3.8 GB.

Once it becomes common knowledge that the 8s/9 will ONLY have an 8 Mpx Back Camera image sensor, the enthusiasm for it will settle (way) down.

For those who don't know, a 12 Mpx image sensor is needed to capture in 4K ! ... provides the necessary border area for Image / Video Stabilization (& that is with OIS ALSO enabled).

Regardless, I believe the 8s/9 will sell EXTREMELY well ! ... especially to those under 12yo, & those over 65yo.

sigh

I don’t know why you lack knowledge considering your history here

What the hell makes you think they will release an iPhone with an 8MP Back sensor when all iPhones sold have 12MP,

Yes Apple has released phones with 4GB of RAM but you are also forgetting that iOS 13 now requires 2GB of RAM as opposed to iOS 12??? So that Is a response to it

EDIT: back then 3GB was great around that Time you mentioned because iOS 10 was lightweight now as above iOS 13 needs more RAM

Last edited:

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
If it's the exact same style as the iPhone 8 kinda makes sense to me? SE line was a totally different size and form factor.

iPhone X started is a totally different form factor but what do you name the successor of the iPhone 9 then? Or the one after that? and after that?..... 9SSSSSSSSSS

DUN DUN DUN! :eek:

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Makes sense. The ‘X’/‘10’ was the point where all new phones had Face ID.

Calking it the 9 does sound crazy given that the 11 has just been launched, however it makes sense as it feels like more a successor to the 8 & as the SE is associated with the smaller 4 inch screen from factor, they’re wise to steer clear of that.
[automerge]1575656018[/automerge]

I think lots of people would be - those who just want a form factor that they are comfortable with and/or those who are price sensitive. Lots of people just want something that works well and don’t care about ‘the new’.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They could sell the "9" for 400 USD (effectively replacing the current 8 which is going for 449).

That won’t happen. There’s no way Apple will manufacture an entry level iPhone 9 with a $400 price point. The SE was more of an exception. I’m willing to believe the ‘iPhone 9’ will start somewhere between ~$500-$525.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It’s exactly like the SE in all the ways I mentioned: off-season intro, $399 pricing, re-using older design, latest processor and smallest available display.

The 8 is $449, and it only has an A11 and 2 GB of RAM. The “SE2” will be a great upgrade from 6/6s/7/8.
Try to tell that to true SE fans who have already showed disapproval of the size increase. 4.7 isn’t 4.0 no matter how you try to spin it

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
They could just call it "iPhone". It would be their base no frills iPhone, which would probably be more than adequate for most users....kind of like the base iPad. With an A13 chip, 3GB RAM, and 64GB storage, there is plenty of power under the hood. Lot's of people prefer the home button and Touch ID. The 4.7in screen is also a sweet spot in terms of the consumer market.

Bottom-line: At $399, Apple will sell a ton of these phones.

Last edited:

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
That won’t happen. There’s no way Apple will manufacture an entry level iPhone 9 with a $400 price point. The SE was more of an exception. I’m willing to believe the ‘iPhone 9’ will start somewhere between ~$500-$525.
At that price, it better have the dual-lens camera that's in the iPhone 11
[automerge]1575660461[/automerge]
Try to tell that to true SE fans who have already showed disapproval of the size increase. 4.7 isn’t 4.0 no matter how you try to spin it
4" screens are done. The sooner you accept that, the better your life will be.

Reactions: Elitegate
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.