Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
This makes perfect sense - people saying "WTF, they got the size wrong and now they're changing the name?" have got it all wrong. Apple never called this the SE2 (they haven't mectioned it at all, of course). It was dubbed the "SE2" by some analyst, or (more likely) random website. This phone is a natural successor to the 8 and never had anything to do with the SE, except in hopeful minds of the SE faithful. The only name more appropriate than "9" would be "8S".

I expect that Apple feels there's no worry about the two naming schemes (6/7/8/[9] and 10/11/12) overlapping , because this (the old) line won't go past a "9S" - they'll have fully moved into the 11/12/13/… lineup by that point.

Good points, but Apple needs to understand that we want an SE sized phone regardless of what they call it.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
There won’t be one, just like the SE ended the 5 design era.

Then what will be the lowest price point model? Still seems they'll continue doing a Pro version, regular version, and then an 'economy' (SE) version. Oh well.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
The SE was a bad name to begin with. They should have called that the 5se. Then this could have been called the 8se. (or really the 7se as the 8 should have been called the 7s anyway!)

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
I don't know if I believe this. Naming it 9 when it's newer than the X and 11 would just cause confusion. Marketing wise you want people to know that it's new.
They don’t WANT to sell a lot of these phones. They are filling a price point but but they would rather sell a higher margin 11 or 11 Pro.

Reactions: freedomlinux

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
You know what I think? Consumers don’t care about what the iPhone is titled. I mean, Apple could label this phone with the most obscure title, consumers will see the smaller form factor/size, that’s what’s going to sell this phone. The only people who get really upset about iPhone titles, are members on this site.

Im not upset at all. Couldn’t care less actually. I don’t intend to buy the small iphone. Just adding my opinion thats all. Thats kinda the point of a public forum.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I’m looking for a replacement for my 256GB iPhone 8, and I refuse to buy a notched display or a phone that uses FaceID.

This meets my requirements so long as 256 is available.

same here.
need/want 256GB.

but previously (elsewhere) rumored mentions have it at max 128GB.

and, unfortunately, it may not also have the new U-1 chip in it as well, in order to be found by apple Tags.
so this phone may be the last newly released phone apple sells without a U-1 chip.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The SE was a bad name to begin with. They should have called that the 5se. Then this could have been called the 8se. (or really the 7se as the 8 should have been called the 7s anyway!)

So...you think the ‘5SE’ moniker sounds better than the SE...?😁 Point is, it’s been mentioned multiple, _no_one_ cares_ about what this iPhone will be called, the only uproar you’re going to hear about about the iPhone title, are those who are overly pedantic on sites like this. If Apple can execute the form factor/price point/including all the features of what this phone has to offer, _that_ is what will sell this phone, not the title.

Apple Can name this phone whatever they want, but if it doesn’t meet the expectations in terms of the form factor/price, then what good is the name/title of the iPhone to begin with? (Rhetorical question...)

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Apple doesn't get it. The people that want a smaller phone don't want it to be 4.7. This honestly should not be called SE 2 because it has nothing to do with the original idea of the SE.

Apple get it, thats why they called it iPhone 9 not SE2?

Reactions: aksala

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
They don’t WANT to sell a lot of these phones. They are filling a price point but but they would rather sell a higher margin 11 or 11 Pro.
Good point - and it actually would bring a tidiness to their lineup in terms of hierarchy:
-9 is the entry level model
-10(R) is the mid level (sure it has a chip that is one generation older than the 9 is rumored to get - this will not make any difference to the average consumer)
-11/11 Pro - newest bestest and most expensive...
[automerge]1575683023[/automerge]
This isn't confirmed yet.
True, but it won't be called the SE2 - that's just what the tech press has been calling it up until this point for lack of a better name. I'm sure Apple hasn't officially given it a name yet either. Remember when the press was calling the 8 the 7s and the X the 8?

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
An iPhone 9 somewhat implies that it will have wireless charging and a glass back. I have been assuming that a $399 phone would be all aluminum and no wireless charging.

So, the 2020 line up will likely be six hones:

$399 iPhone 9, 4.7 inch LCD, TouchID, A13, 3GB RAM, 64GB storage, single camera, LTE
$549 iPhone 11, 6.1 inch LCD, FaceID, A13, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, dual camera, LTE
$649 iPhone 12, 5.4 inch OLED, FaceID, A14, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage, dual camera, 5G
$749 iPhone 12, 6.1 inch OLED, FaceID, A14, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage, dual camera, 5G
$999 iPhone 12 Pro, 6.1 inch OLED+, FaceID & TouchID, A14, 6GB RAM, 128GB storage, triple camera with time of flight laser, 5G
$1099 iPhone 12 Pro Max, 6.7 inch OLED+, FaceID & TouchID, A14, 6GB RAM, 128GB storage, triple camera with time of flight laser, 5G

This would be the same number of phones as this year: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, and a more easy to understand progression.

Last edited:

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
So...you think the ‘5SE’ moniker sounds better than the SE...?? Point is, it’s been mentioned multiple, _no_one_ cares_ about what this iPhone will be called, the only uproar you’re going to hear about about the iPhone title, are those who are overly pedantic on sites like this. If Apple can execute the form factor/price point/including all the features of what this phone has to offer, _that_ is what will sell this phone, not the title.

Apple Can name this phone whatever they want, but if it doesn’t meet the expectations in terms of the form factor/price, then what good is the name/title of the iPhone to begin with? (Rhetorical question...)

Yes it does sound better since it describes what it was based on. Many sites/rumors thought that was what it was going to be called, including this one. https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-5se/

Many case designers label their product with It fitting that name. I don’t really care although I do prefer logical names. There are 190 posts with people discussing the name - so someone cares!

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003

1 mobile fon market is maturing. i hesitate to call it saturated, but maturing.

2 apple's services segment continues to grow - and this is an identified strategic priority of AAPL to accomplish this.

3 keeping people within the total apple framework helps apple sell services and subscriptions.
even phones themselves are being offered on what can be termed a subscription basis: "iPhone as a service" plan: otherwise known as the iPhone Upgrade Program guarantees you a new iPhone every year.

its like gillette when it was beginning its business:
they would sell you the handle at a not such a high price, in order to get you to buy their blades.

i think apple wants to sell a ton of these lower price tier phones.
its becoming less (somewhat less) important about the profit that is made on a hardware device, and more about selling services on that device.
broaden device range. don't cede lower tier to competitors. while using older tech in the device to make a respectable margin.

if, as one poster in this thread mentioned that the market for this iPhone 9 is teenagers and senior citizens, IF apple were able to put the U-1 chip in this phone do you realize how many apple Tags could be sold to just these two market segments (and especially to these two segments...)

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The XR also has a 256 GB option.
It did previously, but it was discontinued when the iPhone 11 was released, presumably as a market segmentation strategy. For that same reason, I don’t really expect 256 GB in the “SE2”.

If iPhone 11 sticks around next fall, it might retain the 256 GB option. Who can know?

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
If it has a larger screen, in the same for factor as the 8, and is called the 9. It's clearly not an iPhone SE successor.
[automerge]1575657851[/automerge]

Except that it isn't a successor to the SE it's a successor to the 8, so 9 makes more sense.
At $399, it’s definitely a successor to the SE. If they could offer a 5.5” at $399 they would, but 4.7” is the best they can do right now. I personally don’t think it’ll be called 9, since that sounds like it’s two generations behind at launch.

In 2022 or so, I expect them to drop the 4.7 for the Plus’s 5.5” (or if it’s less expensive, maybe some other size LCD display close to that... 5.2/5.3??).

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I don't get why anyone would be interested in this 5 times warmed up old design. In 2020! You could have bought this years ago. And please don't tell me anyone needs an A13 cheap. It's a cellphone, not a Macbook

I will take this design over the garbage X series design. Why? No ugly distracting notch and a home button. I don't get why this is so hard for people to comprehend. I just wish they'd bring back the iOS 6 look with this. Hate today's design with a passion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.