Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I've read that iMessage will support RCS later this year. Don't know if it will come true, though.

I think there’s a misunderstanding with this statement. iMessage will not support RCS. The iPhones will support RCS - it will exist separately from iMessage. The green bubble will still exist but you get to send full or bigger sized media files, see read receipts and you will know when someone else is typing a response. Apple is currently only considering the Universal Profile so there is no end to end encryption yet but that might change.

However iMessage will exist in a bubble of its own.

Reactions: tbayrgs and ozaz

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Nokia and BlackBerry were my first love. Then, I used various Samsung Android devices for ages, before finally trying an iPhone, and that was only because I am a gadget lover. Thus, had to try one.

With iOS, I could not stand that I could not place my icons where I wanted, on the device that I paid for. However, over the past 5 years or so, I have simply not felt the need to constantly configure/reconfigure my device (like I did with Android), and thus got to the point of, "Apple told me to have the app icons like this", so that was that. LOL

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I've read that iMessage will support RCS later this year. Don't know if it will come true, though.
I've seen that also, but more than likely it will come with IOS 18 which means mid to late Sept unless 18 Beta has it at some point release which means we might be able to at least try it in July or so.
Considering an/the Apple spokesperson stated “Later next year” in Nov of last, I will back the prediction RCS is an iOS 18 feature.

I think there’s a misunderstanding with this statement. iMessage will not support RCS. The iPhones will support RCS - it will exist separately from iMessage. The green bubble will still exist but you get to send full or bigger sized media files, see read receipts and you will know when someone else is typing a response. Apple is currently only considering the Universal Profile so there is no end to end encryption yet but that might change.

However iMessage will exist in a bubble of its own.
More accurately, Messages (i.e., the app) will support RCS alongside iMessage (i.e., Apple’s messaging service) as well as SMS and MMS. The following might be helpful:

Apple’s compartmentalization appears to drift into marketing, creating a lot of overlap in word usage and subsequent confusion. One of the recent examples is Camera's Night Mode and Standby Mode’s Night Mode. That’s besides Apple's use of nouns as names: apps named Messages, Photos, Music, TV, and Mail as well as features, such as ProMotion — which, for example, if you search “iPhone ProMotion” to find out more about Apple’s variable refresh rate display feature, most of the results are wireless carrier discounts, deals, and sales (as in promotion).
🤦‍♂️

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I use the iPhone because of the ecosystem. The iPhone itself is a nice phone but there are also interesting android phones with better hardware and features that the iPhone simply doesn’t have. However it’s the way all Apple devices work together that keeps me using the iPhone. Also the other devices outside of the iPhone (Mac, iPad, Apple TV, AirPods) are the best in their respective classes for me. So whilst there are many phones that can complete or even better the iPhone when looking at it on an individual level, I would not give up other devices just to get a slightly better phone.

Also on a side note. The stock keyboard on the iPhone is just so useable to me. My work laptop (windows) died this week. I work from home and I had to email line manager/IT to get a replacement. I have a Samsung work phone. Trying to compose an email using that keyboard was like sticking pins in my eyes. The keyboard is horrible, makes so many errors and it just took so long. I know you can get third party keyboards but I like stock apps to be adequate. I ended up sending the email from my personal phone as it took so long and it was so painful. However, there were some emails I had to respond to from the work phone whilst I was waiting for my new laptop to arrive. It was awful. I’ve used the stock Google keyboard on the pixel and that is miles better. It’s totally useable. Samsung need to fix it because it’s been like that for years. When I used android I had to use swiftly.

Reactions: yui4

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I haven't watched the YouTube videos in the opening post, but to share my own choices and what led to them (including wider ecosystem than just phone):

Grew up on Windows and my first one or two smart phones were Android phones. Then spent several years using only Apple hardware. I came to realise I don't really like Apple's vertical integration model due to the lack of hardware choice that results from it. So decided I wanted to switch back to Windows & Android. I switched back to Windows several years ago, but switching back to Android took longer. The much better update/security support duration for iOS devices compared to Android, and better app support/quality and squarer screen ratio on iPads compared to Android were key factors keeping me on iOS.

Support duration has improved considerably in Android in the last couple of years (especially Google and Samsung devices) to the extent that any remaining differences in support duration are now a non-issue for me. This caused me to switch my phone from iPhone to Android about a year ago. Decided also to give Android tablets another try and I found didn't care as much about screen ratio as I previously did. Also found that Android tablet apps are much better than the last time I tried an Android tablet (probably around 2016), and came to feel that unless you use a tablet for professional purposes (most don't) any remaining differences in app quality is not particularly important anyway. So am now also using an Android tablet and have sold my iPad.

I mostly don't miss the Apple ecosystem. The one exception to this is how well MacBooks work when it comes to battery management/usage and reliability of suspend/resume behaviour. Wish Microsoft and Windows PC makers could make significant improvements in this area.

Last edited:
Reactions: gusmula

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
The samsung phones are very nice, but navigating Android is a nightmare.

This is just a familiarity thing. Having used Android for the past year I now find it frustrating to navigate iOS (and that's in spite of me using iOS for several years prior to Android).

RCS is a background system that we might not be able to opt out for. The Messages app in iPhones will support the RCS service.

Since you're able to disable iMessage I think it would be odd if Apple didn't also provide the option to disable RCS. Even Google provides the option to disable RCS in Google Messages.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
This is just a familiarity thing. Having used Android for the past year I now find it frustrating to navigate iOS (and that's in spite of me using iOS for several years prior to Android).
Agree! I have heard that in the past and that is my first response. I can assure anyone that the same applies to any platform a person uses and depends on everyday. My experience has been that iOS is not as easy to find certain settings as it was in iOS 5. Things are now different on a Mac with the latest OS. The same applies to Windows or Linux.

Guess what? We learn to adjust and figure things out. I will add that Android for the last several releases has stayed very consistent with its UI. Now Samsung has their own UI and i've got used to it as well and figured things out.

Reactions: ozaz

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
No, not wherever you want, only in any order.
Whatever. Apps are going to be arranged in rows no matter what. And you can move them in any position and from one page to another such as putting the apps you use most all on the first home screen page with the others on in back.

Sounds like you’re describing something very, very people would care about.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
But there are also other videos on people moving from iOS to Android and saying it's better.
I chose iOS because I know when they'll drop the support.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Whatever. Apps are going to be arranged in rows no matter what. And you can move them in any position and from one page to another such as putting the apps you use most all on the first home screen page with the others on in back.

Sounds like you’re describing something very, very people would care about.
I'm sorry, but that's one of the first complaints I hear from Android users when I've tried to convince them to switch to iPhone.
And it's true, you can put icons anywhere you want on Android and based on my experiences a lot of people care about that.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
But there are also other videos on people moving from iOS to Android and saying it's better.
I chose iOS because I know when they'll drop the support.
The first video in particular comments more on why people seem to prefer one over the other. It comes down to mindset and personality quirks. It’s not a clear distinction, but more a general indicator.

lionofthesouth

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
Prefer Android, but currently using an iPhone 13pm, as I find apple maps better for my use. I make deliveries in rural area. Lot of houses have names, and find a lot more available on apple maps. That is the only reason I will stick with iPhone for my main phone. I do have a pixel 7 Pro as well, and a samsung S9 ultra tablet

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
The first video in particular comments more on why people seem to prefer one over the other. It comes down to mindset and personality quirks. It’s not a clear distinction, but more a general indicator.
I mean, to be fair, over the last years I've realised that a phone is a phone. I wouldn't care if I had an iPhone or Android anymore. I don't even really care if I have a Mac or a PC anymore. A phone is a phone and a computer is a computer. The only benefit for having a Mac for me is that I can learn swift on it and build Xcode projects. On Windows and on Linux Swift is painful.
I don't know why but I've really stopped caring. I just want my phone to have the latest security updates, which Android struggles with.
There are so many random brands out there that you've never heard of and even well known brands such as Motorola and Sony can be disappointing when it comes to the updates.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
A big key distinction is that iOS is only on and tailor made for iPhone because Apple makes both software and hardware whereas Android, like Windows, is used on disparate devices made by different manufacturers.

There are those who like to fuss or play with their devices and others who just want a tool with little fuss as possible. Apple leans more toward the latter.

A small example. When you turn on iPhone you see see the apps immediately right in front of you. Take Settings for example—it’s right there—you don’t have to swipe to go looking for it. And it’s right there right out of the box. And you can have that with all the apps you use the most frequently—having them right there as soon as the home screen comes on.

With Android you have to take that extra step, extra swipe (or two), to get to want you want. Sure, familiarity glosses over that, but it does take a bit more fussing with it.

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
You do know you can move the app icons around wherever you want them on iPhone, right? It’s been that way for ages.
Yes, thanks. HOWEVER, you cannot simply have 4 icons at the bottom of a screen, with no other icons, or even have all the icons down the left (or right) side of a screen either. This goes back to my BlackBerry Curve and BOLD days. Those were the days...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
A big key distinction is that iOS is only on and tailor made for iPhone because Apple makes both software and hardware whereas Android, like Windows, is used on disparate devices made by different manufacturers.

There are those who like to fuss or play with their devices and others who just want a tool with little fuss as possible. Apple leans more toward the latter.

A small example. When you turn on iPhone you see see the apps immediately right in front of you. Take Settings for example—it’s right there—you don’t have to swipe to go looking for it. And it’s right there right out of the box. And you can have that with all the apps you use the most frequently—having them right there as soon as the home screen comes on.

With Android you have to take that extra step, extra swipe (or two), to get to want you want. Sure, familiarity glosses over that, but it does take a bit more fussing with it.
What you see when you turn on the phone depends on how you've arranged your apps on the homescreen.

Last edited:
Reactions: gusmula and ozaz

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I've used Mac systems (95% purchased at a discount from their refurb offerings) for a couple of decades. Never have cared about the "ecosystem" and do just fine with Android, ChromeOS, Linux and macOS co-existence.

When it comes to mobile phones: antiquated IOS, outrageously price-protected devices and unwieldy Apple Mu$ic just don't work for me. "Flag$hip" Android phones with generous trade-in's at release or 30-45% off 3-6 months after release are awesome!

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
I have a constant battle with myself switching between the two. I've had every iPhone since the original and every Samsung Note/Fold since the Note 2. Currently switching between the Fold 5 and iPhone 15 Pro/iPad Mini combo.

I really love being and to take notes and doodle on the Samsung and I prefer Android OS but my family all use iOS and I have an Apple Watch that keeps drawing my back to the iPhone. The ecosystem is real but the Fold is so much nicer to use and carry around.

Reactions: atiffarooq

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
I can't make up my mind about Android / ios.. I keep switching phones like crazy and it is pissing me off.. In 2023 I had 14PM, S23U, OPPO find N3 and now I roll 15PM and I am tempted to switch to S24U (I really liked S23U)
I keep doing it, it is ****ing up my budget and I don't know how to stop..

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Sure, but with iPhone a lot that is already right there out of the box. With Android you have to fuss with it to get it that way.

This seems very trivial. It takes less than 10 seconds to pull up the app drawer, scroll to the settings app and add it to the home screen if you want to be able to access it from there. Similar trivial issues could be raised about the default iPhone home screen. There are several apps on there that I have no interest in using. For me these produce clutter so when setting up an iPhone as a clean install I have the "fuss" of moving them into folders or hiding them from the home screen.

Neither iPhone nor Android phones have default home screens which exactly matches my own preference, and I don't really think its reasonable to consider this an issue on either platform.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.