Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Personally, we’re an all Apple family; Mac Mini’s, MacBook Pro’s, Apple TV’s, iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, etc.

Professionally, it’s Android. In the pro a/v world there are tons of Android players that work great with whatever project we’re working on.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Those 3 videos I posted above, are the main reason I just can't go back to an iPhone anytime soon again, it feels like a phone stuck in 2010. Last iPhone I had was the 12 PM, and yes the hardware and design were amazing, but iOS just sucks so bad. No offense, but I just can't see how people find it so great, it's baffling.

It's amazing this forum is so pro iPhone, or users here that dual wield 2 phones, say the iPhone is their primary and Android secondary. More power to you guys and gals that do that, but I just don't get it.

But then again I own ZERO Apple products in my house, maybe that's why? Our computers are all custom built PC gaming rigs running Windows 11 Pro, Laptops are all Windows 11 Pro based as well. No tablets, zero need for one. Both home theaters in the house use Google Chromecast.

But it's funny every time I'm at the store and see an iPhone, I play around with them, and really like the design, and screen and smoothness of them. But when I use my brain for 10 seconds and think about getting one, I realize what a massive downgrade they are, and then keep on walking to pick up toilet paper.

I have to agree with you. If I'm being completely honest, I find iOS to be a big unintuitive mess. Aside from there being so much that it can't do, the things it can do are often quit unintuitive. An example of that is replying to an email and having to place more than one type of attachment to it. It's a problem. You end up having to send multiple email replies with each attachment type. That is absolutely terrible. Simple things like not being able to pause a video recording. What the heck is Apple thinking?! Why would I want to have all these different recordings, that I then have to trim and merge, when I could have just pressed pause? ...and don't get me started on the things it can't do, like smart lock/extend lock, dialer shortcomings, and lack of true multitasking. The iPhone really is an old school phone of yesteryear. They have a lot of catching up to do.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I’ve used the iPhone that long too …can understand why people stay it on it ..but some stuff you have to scratch your head with Apple..including like previously mentioned can’t we just pause a video ? Why can’t I delete all my messages in bunch instead of one by one on my watch ? I can go on lol

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Look I really like Apple products. The MacBook air with m2/3 is probably the best ultra portable fan less laptop in the market.

But that is where Apple is innovating to a point is in the laptop space. In the iPad and iPhone space things have stalled. It seems like Apple can only focus on one market segment at a time. iPad should get some updates this year so we will see. But overall iPadOS is just in an odd place. Overpowered m chips are great but an iPad is still just a big phone OS with some adaptations. iPad Pro is just a poor value proposition but the other options are purposefully gimped to get you to buy the Pro but most people will never use the iPad Pro capabilities beyond scrolling web pages and streaming videos which an iPad Pro is certainly overkill.

Then you have iPhone. A very good device except they have split up Pro and non Pro with pretty stark differences. Not only does the screen tech differ substantially but also the processor and cameras. And of course Titanium. Apple is such crap with interoperability outside of their ecosystem. They could make an android phone work identically to an iPhone in terms of message, FaceTime, etc. It would allow people who don't want an iPhone but live their Mac to have a happy life again. It would bring Android users into the Apple ecosystem Un a way that might gain them customers but most of all it would not piss off people who value a choice. And I get it. It is Apple's choice to be dicks as long as it makes financial sense for them to do so and bring a sense of exclusivity to the brand. All companies do it but most aren't as bad as Apple. It is this aspect of purposeful locking and lock out that makes me upset with Apple and not want to use or buy their products.

Their talk of ecological concern is such hollow BS considering where and how their products are manufactured.

Apple will so just odd software implementation and just force it even if it is a bad idea until they just can't ignore it instead of just fixing a bad idea early. They copy other OS features and introduce it like they invented the idea first but then if people ask they say they did it better? I don't care if you borrow stuff from other OS. Just don't act like everything you do is your own creation. Give credit to Android and if you can improve it do so. Then Android can borrow that better implementation and both OS improve. No problem.

So in terms of Android being better or iOS being better in most ways they are pretty equivalent. I just enjoy using Android and Android devices when it comes to my phone.

I like the freedom and choice Android offers me. I like the tight integration of Apple devices but it is also the Achilles heal of Apple products for ne because I am not only using Apple products. So for now I forgo the convenience of Apple products and their tight integration in order to preserve my freedom of choice outside of Apple.

One day of Apple were to open things up a bit I would be a lot happier using Apple products both from an idealist perspective and for my own real world benefits.

When AMD, Intel, or Qualcomm ever catch up to m series clips in efficiency not just performance then it may change the game a little. Windows has improved a lot over the years.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I have to agree with you. If I'm being completely honest, I find iOS to be a big unintuitive mess. Aside from there being so much that it can't do, the things it can do are often quit unintuitive. An example of that is replying to an email and having to place more than one type of attachment to it. It's a problem. You end up having to send multiple email replies with each attachment type. That is absolutely terrible. Simple things like not being able to pause a video recording. What the heck is Apple thinking?! Why would I want to have all these different recordings, that I then have to trim and merge, when I could have just pressed pause? ...and don't get me started on the things it can't do, like smart lock/extend lock, dialer shortcomings, and lack of true multitasking. The iPhone really is an old school phone of yesteryear. They have a lot of catching up to do.
I use the outlook app, yes it is Microsoft, but it's so much better than the mail app

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I never really understood the freedom argument with Android, apart from emulators and placing apps freely there haven’t been anything I’ve ever done or wanted to do with my Android devices that my iOS devices can’t do. But when I’ve used Android I’ve been forced me to do a lot of work to set things that are obvious, like not wanting ads in my notification bar…

For me the biggest draw of Android have nothing to do with the software but rather the hardware choices available, you have more freedom to choose there. But that comes back around when we talk tablets where I think the hardware and software leave a lot to be desired. So either I get a more tailored fit hardware wise on my phone or my tablet, can‘t get both.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
I never really understood the freedom argument with Android, apart from emulators and placing apps freely there haven’t been anything I’ve ever done or wanted to do with my Android devices that my iOS devices can’t do. But when I’ve used Android I’ve been forced me to do a lot of work to set things that are obvious, like not wanting ads in my notification bar…

For me the biggest draw of Android have nothing to do with the software but rather the hardware choices available, you have more freedom to choose there. But that comes back around when we talk tablets where I think the hardware and software leave a lot to be desired. So either I get a more tailored fit hardware wise on my phone or my tablet, can‘t get both.
What were you using that you had ads in the notification panel? 👀

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
What were you using that you had ads in the notification panel? 👀

Samsung phones.

I also got annoyed as hell with certain apps having some sort of message that couldn’t be removed from there at all like “now playing” things and so on.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Samsung phones.

I also got annoyed as hell with certain apps having some sort of message that couldn’t be removed from there at all like “now playing” things and so on.
I've not experienced ads in my notification panel.... And I don't know why you can't remove something from the notification panel. Sounds like the issue is less the device, and more the user.

Reactions: edubfromktown

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I've not experienced ads in my notification panel.... And I don't know why you can't remove something from the notification panel. Sounds like the issue is less the device, and more the user.

Nope, loads of other users experience it since it is both the Galaxy Store that sends them and Samsung may send offers for their products. You can turn it off of course but it is insane that it is even allowed from the beginning, which user wants ads there?

Maybe they added it now but before you couldn’t keep the media playing out of the notification panel, think it was added in Android 11 or something. This is something that seems impossible to turn off from my google searches and that was my experience as well, if I got rid of it it would come back after a restart and the next time I started playing music.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Nope, loads of other users experience it since it is both the Galaxy Store that sends them and Samsung may send offers for their products. You can turn it off of course but it is insane that it is even allowed from the beginning, which user wants ads there?

Maybe they added it now but before you couldn’t keep the media playing out of the notification panel, think it was added in Android 11 or something. This is something that seems impossible to turn off from my google searches and that was my experience as well, if I got rid of it it would come back after a restart and the next time I started playing music.
Reminds me of ads in the Apple app store. Never used to get them and now I do. Very similar to Samsung but you can turn Samsung ads off. I haven't found a similar setting in iOS?

Ads in the notification panel other than the Samsung store which we already established are extremely rare and generally only occur in a hacked or Trojan penetrated OS or hacked browser. So your experience is actually unusual.

Also you would never see ads in a Pixel phone notification panel.

Reactions: animalx

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Reminds me of ads in the Apple app store. Never used to get them and now I do. Very similar to Samsung but you can turn Samsung ads off. I haven't found a similar setting in iOS?

Ads in the notification panel other than the Samsung store which we already established are extremely rare and generally only occur in a hacked or Trojan penetrated OS or hacked browser. So your experience is actually unusual.

Also you would never see ads in a Pixel phone notification panel.

Yeah, there’s ads in the app store which is a bit ”meh” as well but less intrusive to have it when browsing apps than seeing it in your notifications bar.

All my friends with Samsung devices have had the same ”problem” with the Samsung store sending them ads so it doesn’t seem to be that unusual when running Samsung at least.

Yeah I think a Pixel device is probably the best Android device for me, but they don’t even sell their Pixel Fold here so I got nothing I’d be interested in to even look into buying. Only Samsung and now OnePlus offers any foldable with support here so those are the only options I see a reason to even consider moving away from iOS to get.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Yeah, there’s ads in the app store which is a bit ”meh” as well but less intrusive to have it when browsing apps than seeing it in your notifications bar.

All my friends with Samsung devices have had the same ”problem” with the Samsung store sending them ads so it doesn’t seem to be that unusual when running Samsung at least.

Yeah I think a Pixel device is probably the best Android device for me, but they don’t even sell their Pixel Fold here so I got nothing I’d be interested in to even look into buying. Only Samsung and now OnePlus offers any foldable with support here so those are the only options I see a reason to even consider moving away from iOS to get.
No worries, enjoy iPhone and iOS. :apple:

Reactions: animalx

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
No worries, enjoy iPhone and iOS. :apple:

Don’t get me wrong, I think Apple is way off base on a lot of things and I find their hardware to be outright boring right now. No foldables just normal slabs like they have been for the past 15 years and they still charge top dollar for it. So all platforms are compromises and which compromises you can live with is very subjective.

For me I think the biggest thing is I want good service in case something goes wrong with the device, if it breaks I need a new one within days and not weeks to avoid having to buy a new phone. No Android manufacturer I’ve ever had contact with in my region provides even acceptable service with repair times for people Samsung folds having stretched to a month. I know I’d get pissed off if that happened to me and switch right back to Apple so might as well not make the switch in the first place.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Tbf, this section of the forum is titled "Alternative to iOS." One can make an argument why does this particular thread exist.

Because those who are in this section... actually prefers Android.

I suspect this thread started out on a different sub-forum and was moved into the Alternatives sub-forum by a moderator. You can usually tell when that happens when the tone of the replies shifts from being largely pro iOS to largely pro Android part way through the thread, as has happened on this thread.

But even for those who regularly use this Alternatives sub-forum and prefer Android for phones/tablets, I've always assumed that all of us also use Apple products to some extent. Didn't realise there were some on here who don't use Apple products at all. Not saying that's an issue, just interesting.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Don’t get me wrong, I think Apple is way off base on a lot of things and I find their hardware to be outright boring right now. No foldables just normal slabs like they have been for the past 15 years and they still charge top dollar for it. So all platforms are compromises and which compromises you can live with is very subjective.

For me I think the biggest thing is I want good service in case something goes wrong with the device, if it breaks I need a new one within days and not weeks to avoid having to buy a new phone. No Android manufacturer I’ve ever had contact with in my region provides even acceptable service with repair times for people Samsung folds having stretched to a month. I know I’d get pissed off if that happened to me and switch right back to Apple so might as well not make the switch in the first place.
To be fair all phones are boring. Aside from the novelty of foldables, which is just a reimagining of phones from twenty years ago, all this hardware is in mature form. Year-to-year are now incremental changes as the rapid evolution peaked some years back. Now they just largely play with the design details and add yet more largely pointless features in software. For the foreseeable future it will remain a rectangular slab of glass and metal in your hand.

I suspect this thread started out on a different sub-forum and was moved into the Alternatives sub-forum by a moderator. You can usually tell when that happens when the tone of the replies shifts from being largely pro iOS to largely pro Android part way through the thread, as has happened on this thread.

But even for those who regularly use this Alternatives sub-forum and prefer Android for phones/tablets, I've always assumed that all of us also use Apple products to some extent. Didn't realise there were some on here who don't use Apple products at all. Not saying that's an issue, just interesting.
Yep, thats exactly what happened.

Reactions: edubfromktown

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
But it is sort of an issue, at least in motivation. What motivates someone to converse in a forum/etc when they don’t use any products, service, etc? I don’t use Linux in any capacity, never have, and wouldn’t head over to a Linux forum to rag on why Linux is terrible (not my opinion, just an example statement ;)).

If it’s to do some research or maybe gain some perspective about something one is curious about, or thinking about purchasing/using, that’s great. But I question the motives of anyone who comes to solely troll, criticize or denigrate. There’s a small group of folks in this subforum who seems to fit the latter. And I’m not solely singling out non-Apple users on an Apple-centric site—same goes for the Apple fans who come to this subforum with the same behavior.

Just my observation.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
To be fair all phones are boring. Aside from the novelty of foldables, which is just a reimagining of phones from twenty years ago, all this hardware is in mature form. Year-to-year are now incremental changes as the rapid evolution peaked some years back. Now they just largely play with the design details and add yet more largely pointless features in software. For the foreseeable future it will remain a rectangular slab of glass and metal in your hand.

Yep, thats exactly what happened.
Boring and quite pricey

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
But it is sort of an issue, at least in motivation. What motivates someone to converse in a forum/etc when they don’t use any products, service, etc? I don’t use Linux in any capacity, never have, and wouldn’t head over to a Linux forum to rag on why Linux is terrible (not my opinion, just an example statement ;)).

If it’s to do some research or maybe gain some perspective about something one is curious about, or thinking about purchasing/using, that’s great. But I question the motives of anyone who comes to solely troll, criticize or denigrate. There a small group of folks in this subforum who seems to fit the latter. And I’m not solely singling out non-Apple users on an Apple-centric site—same goes for the Apple fans who come to this subforum with the same behavior.

Just my observation.
I absolutely agree with the above. I have always refrained from criticizing any product including the iPhone if I haven't owned, said product. In fact without owning an iPhone I on the contrary have offered praise to Apple and the iPhone for the things it does right. I now own an iPhone but my preference is still the Pixel phone for reasons I have made clear on many occasions. But now if I want too, I can complain or criticize the iPhone because I now own one.

As you stated there are some who have never owned anything but an iPhone and come here to tell the alternative crowd why the iPhone is superior without ever owning anything but. Then there are those that come here and are nothing more than unpaid Apple corporate public relations individuals who try and tell us why Apple is superior as if i'm reading a marketing page from Apple's own website.

The group on this forum tend to be open to different products and they have a right to complain and criticize because they usually buy phones besides the iPhone.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I absolutely agree with the above. I have always refrained from criticizing any product including the iPhone if I haven't owned, said product. In fact without owning an iPhone I on the contrary have offered praise to Apple and the iPhone for the things it does right. I now own an iPhone but my preference is still the Pixel phone for reasons I have made clear on many occasions. But now if I want too, I can complain or criticize the iPhone because I now own one.

As you stated there are some who have never owned anything but an iPhone and come here to tell the alternative crowd why the iPhone is superior without ever owning anything but. Then there are those that come here and are nothing more than unpaid Apple corporate public relations individuals who try and tell us why Apple is superior as if i'm reading a marketing page from Apple's own website.

The group on this forum tend to be open to different products and they have a right to complain and criticize because they usually buy phones besides the iPhone.

People on this forum that own Apple products can get pretty crazy even within their own. I have seen M1 MacBook Pro owners who don't own a M2 MacBook Air come on the air forum on an air specific thread and crap all over people who don't agree the Pro is best. It is crazy? I have never seen anything like it.

So iPhone or Apple product lovers can come over to the Alternative to iOS sub forum and trash Android and Android devices all the time, any time. All without having more than a cursory clue of what they are talking about. They latch onto one key negative talking point they heard on YouTube and then go on the Android threads of whatever device and trash it because of what a YouTube reviewer said or what their co worker said or showed them for 30 minutes.

Most people that own both Android, iOS, iPadOS, Windows, Android, etc. Devices on a regular basis get really tired of these type of posts because they inflame old stereotypes instead of allow a better realistic view of multiple operating systems and devices.

Reactions: Tig Bitties
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.