Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
for newer flagships something like the galaxy flip is your best option, but slightly larger is the s22/s23, pixel 6a/7a, otherwise if you're okay with older there's lots out there. You can obviously go for an iphone SE too.
Flip5 is larger when unfolded, and considerably thicker when folded, but I don't want that kind of phone anyway. The others are larger, as you said, including the SE. An older phone than my 13 mini isn't of any interest to me. Thanks anyway.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have switched back to my pixel because of the call screen and hold for me features.
They are a godsend these days, I know iOS silence unknown callers but it’s not the same.

I get lots of spam calls.
No it's not the same. The call screening feature on the pixel is next level. I am also still in awe of the Duplex demo all these years later.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I agree with this reviewer.

It seems this forum has a ton of iPhone users, people that main an iPhone and maybe try Android, or people that dual wield both iPhone and Android.

How bout people like this YouTuber below or myself, Ive been on Android since the Nexus-One, and been maining Android all these years, having 20+ different Android phones over the years, and maybe just 2 or 3 iPhone's in 15 years. I think going from Android only for a decade, and then trying an iPhone for the first time, can be shocking and very difficult to adjust to. A lot of people can't understand this if they still regularly use an iPhone or even every few years go back to an iPhone. But the people that NEVER had an iPhone, or haven't in over 10 years, it's a totally different story.

Reactions: edubfromktown

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
This reviewer didn't pull any punches here, and I love it. It's good seeing people talk about this issue. Also, remember how a 60Hz screen on $400 Pixel 6a was "disgraceful", but a $800+ iPhone having a 60Hz screen is a non-issue?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Those 3 videos I posted above, are the main reason I just can't go back to an iPhone anytime soon again, it feels like a phone stuck in 2010. Last iPhone I had was the 12 PM, and yes the hardware and design were amazing, but iOS just sucks so bad. No offense, but I just can't see how people find it so great, it's baffling.

It's amazing this forum is so pro iPhone, or users here that dual wield 2 phones, say the iPhone is their primary and Android secondary. More power to you guys and gals that do that, but I just don't get it.

But then again I own ZERO Apple products in my house, maybe that's why? Our computers are all custom built PC gaming rigs running Windows 11 Pro, Laptops are all Windows 11 Pro based as well. No tablets, zero need for one. Both home theaters in the house use Google Chromecast.

But it's funny every time I'm at the store and see an iPhone, I play around with them, and really like the design, and screen and smoothness of them. But when I use my brain for 10 seconds and think about getting one, I realize what a massive downgrade they are, and then keep on walking to pick up toilet paper.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
It's amazing this forum is so pro iPhone

I prefer and primarily use Android, but it would be super weird if this forum wasn't mostly pro iPhone. It is an Apple forum after all.

But then again I own ZERO Apple products in my house

I suppose that raises the question why do you use this forum? (just out of curiosity; not saying you shouldn't)

Last edited:

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Those 3 videos I posted above, are the main reason I just can't go back to an iPhone anytime soon again, it feels like a phone stuck in 2010. Last iPhone I had was the 12 PM, and yes the hardware and design were amazing, but iOS just sucks so bad. No offense, but I just can't see how people find it so great, it's baffling.

It's amazing this forum is so pro iPhone, or users here that dual wield 2 phones, say the iPhone is their primary and Android secondary. More power to you guys and gals that do that, but I just don't get it.

But then again I own ZERO Apple products in my house, maybe that's why? Our computers are all custom built PC gaming rigs running Windows 11 Pro, Laptops are all Windows 11 Pro based as well. No tablets, zero need for one. Both home theaters in the house use Google Chromecast.

But it's funny every time I'm at the store and see an iPhone, I play around with them, and really like the design, and screen and smoothness of them. But when I use my brain for 10 seconds and think about getting one, I realize what a massive downgrade they are, and then keep on walking to pick up toilet paper.

I see Android the same way, feels like stepping back to 2010 when using the software but the hardware is great. When I switch to Android I can’t leave my wallet at home because the support for credit cards and such is worse on Android, worse supports for things like digital car keys and whatnot, most of my phones have suddenly lost a big portion of the battery due to some software bugs (gone to bed with 70% woke up with a dead phone), I’ve had to factory reset my phones often and it was never as pain free as on iOS has been in the last 6 years.

Just the time I needed to fiddle with things costs me more than the price of any phone. It’s a shame since I like a lot of the hardware itself in some of the phones.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I had the iPhone 4 through to the iPhone 6S+ and by that point I was thoroughly bored with iPhones so I tried a SONY Android phone. I could have gone back to Apple after that foray but no, my next phone was a Samsung Note 8 and I loved that thing.

I've had Samsung phones ever since and not once have I missed iPhones. I even buy Android tablets too, my latest being the Tab S9. I did try an iPad last year to see how iOS was getting along and I couldn't sell that thing quick enough...

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
I prefer android for the simple fact that I can put music and other files on it just by plugging in a hard drive.
As well as doing a full backup to that same hard drive.

Also I can put icons and widgets anywhere I want on any screen.
You get 15 gig free on google drive compared to the pityfull 5 gig on IOS.

Import and export of photos is painless compared to my iPhone and iPad.

All of these are just my personal preferences as I own both google and apple devices.

Last edited:

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Exactly 100% all personal preference.. I daily drive both sides just like many of us around these forums and I can accomplish most everything on each side… I don’t find myself limited on either side…

Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux

I agree although for me Macs are the best Apple product, especially now they are using their own chips. No bloatware like Windows, no ads, no driver issues, great performance and battery, exceptional build quality, and not at all locked down like iOS.

I could never go back to iPhone. Compared to most people here I'm not in the US, but in the UK. The value proposition of Android here is much stronger. Say what you want about the Chinese phone brands like Xiaomi, Oppo etc. but they are supported here and offer much better value over the standard US android choices that essentially boil down to Samsung and Google. I'm still using a Redmi Note 10 Pro, bought 2 and a half years ago for $200ish. Has 120Hz, not even the iPhone 15 Plus has that in 2024. I could still sell it for $100 and buy another great phone for not much more.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I agree although for me Macs are the best Apple product, especially now they are using their own chips. No bloatware like Windows, no ads, no driver issues, great performance and battery, exceptional build quality, and not at all locked down like iOS.

I could never go back to iPhone. Compared to most people here I'm not in the US, but in the UK. The value proposition of Android here is much stronger. Say what you want about the Chinese phone brands like Xiaomi, Oppo etc. but they are supported here and offer much better value over the standard US android choices that essentially boil down to Samsung and Google. I'm still using a Redmi Note 10 Pro, bought 2 and a half years ago for $200ish. Has 120Hz, not even the iPhone 15 Plus has that in 2024. I could still sell it for $100 and buy another great phone for not much more.

Good point, I agree Mac's are great, and I also like the Mac OSX but for some reason iOS is just not my thing unless it's heavily revamped in the future.

Reactions: h.gilbert

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I had the iPhone 4 through to the iPhone 6S+ and by that point I was thoroughly bored with iPhones so I tried a SONY Android phone. I could have gone back to Apple after that foray but no, my next phone was a Samsung Note 8 and I loved that thing.

I've had Samsung phones ever since and not once have I missed iPhones. I even buy Android tablets too, my latest being the Tab S9. I did try an iPad last year to see how iOS was getting along and I couldn't sell that thing quick enough...

I had iPhone's from 3 to 8 Plus and then went to Android. Pixel 4a -> OnePlus 8T -> and S23+ (3 months ago).

Hated the iPhone keyboard, idiotic nav to get to app settings and found nothing nearly as good of a Reddit reader as Boost on Android. Don't miss the ecosystem at all.

I use an HP i7 16GB Chromebook as my daily driver and have MBP's and a Studio Base Max for heavier lifting and Lightroom stuff.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I only wish MacOS kept its distinct Mac UI instead of unifying its look with iOS. It's new look and UX doesn't feel the same and the special feeling of using a Mac is gone, to me at least
I’ll agree with this. I understand and can respect their goal of consistency. While I don’t HATE the unified look, I do miss the old one

urbanman2004

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2013
I prefer Android b/c it allows me to customize and personalize my device to my liking while modifying it to unlock additional feature sets and to perform tasks that have become essential to my normal routine all while offering quality of life improvements that were not originally available when I purchased the device.

bigup

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
United Kingdom
I used to be a serial changer between Android and Apple, every month id swap back and fourth, then for the first time I stuck with the 14PM for a year (longest ive ever had a phone and ive had phones since the analogue days :D ) since having it I have bought the accessories that are associated with the eco system, air tags, pods, watch etc etc

ive become too comfy in this eco system and for me to move back to Android will be a pain. Plus my family and kids are all on apple so find my works well.

One thing I absolutely hate with Android is the delayed Gmail notifications, I suffer from them, not sure if its account related but have tried all the tricks under the sun including the adb commands to turn off Doze etc etc and I cannot get Gmail notifications to arrive instantly like they do on all my apple devices, sometimes id have to wait 4-5 mins for the phone to alert me, ive even tried it with an S24 Ultra which I wanted to try for a day, same thing, so its now gone back to Samsung and now back to my 15PM which its ultra reliable.

Im not paying £1300 for a phone to have to wait 5 mins to get email, id be manually checking which do not want to do.

Some may say use another client on android but Gmail works well for me, I use the Primary, Promotions and Social sections which only works in Gmail app. In any other app all three sections would combine into 1 mailbox and my mailbox would be blown apart haha

Claudia P

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2016
I like IOS because it works and I don't have to fool around with it all the time, it just works. I had Android phones for years and thought I preferred them until I got the iPhone 7+ for reasons I don't even remember now and I really began to see why people raved about their iPhones. In 2016 my last PC was dying and I had had my fill of Windows 10, it had pretty much destroyed my PC's at the time and I bought an Imac 27". I'm still using that iMac BTW, I haven't looked back since. The integration between iPhone, Mac, and iPad is so seamless I can't imagine going back to the struggle that is Android and Windows machines. You can love or hate Apple but the fact is their products work!

Reactions: Warped9

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Not a device to device performance comparison, but an interesting take on why people might like what they like.

I found both of these interesting as they came to similar conclusions.

I have both of them. Both have its own plus & minus. Now, I use more iOS (iPhone, iPad) for its simplicity & ecosystem (I have only iPhone, iPad and iMac. I don’t really like Apple Watch or its speakers / earphone). It doesn’t mean that Apple is better or vice versa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.