Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
So the Mini has worse battery life than the X when it was new? That’s surprising.
Despite the efficiency gains brought by the A14, the mini still has a significantly smaller battery than the X. Now I haven't run any scientific test, but after a week of use, I can confirm that both phones last me less than a full day on medium-high usage (roughly 5-6h on screen).

Reactions: BluefinTuna

bbasra

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Mine is 81%. I had the battery replaced with Apple but then ended up selling it to MusicMagpie.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
The more posts I read about battery life the more I’m convinced that it’s less how you charge the battery and more how you use the phone. In terms of how hot the battery gets with heavier usage and what not. Temperature seems to be one of the biggest enemies of Li-Ion batteries. Can’t wait for new advancements in battery tech. It’s got be coming soon, no?

Reactions: Jxdawg

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
My launch day iPhone X dropped to 85% capacity in a little over a year, I got it replaced by Apple for $29 with the battery program they had that time and the second battery also dropped to 85% nearing 2 years. Upgraded to the 12 Pro Max now.

Reactions: AaronM5670

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
Appreciate the additional inputs. Looks like most owners are down to the low 80s-high 70s%. Interesting that someone said their X at 82% is the same as their 12 Mini - that isn't the most confidence inspiring observation for the Mini battery.

enduro0125

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Mine was at 92% when I traded it in this week.
Launch day purchase.

My mini has better battery life than my X before trade in.

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
My day 1 iPhone X is at 77% and part of the reason I switched to the 12 Pro Max today!

JR17358

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2019
Florida
My 3 year old iPhone X was at 76% and was giving me warnings to change the battery as I recall. I had given the phone to my wife and it was doing everything she needed it to do so I had a new battery installed and it's now running great again.

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
Got it done this week. 9:10 a.m. appointment (opened at 9 a.m.) and probably handed over the iPhone around 9:20 a.m.. The email for pickup showed up at 10:36 a.m. (didn't have another device so didn't see it). I came back at 10:45 a.m. and had it by 10:52 a.m.

The Apple Store also replaces the speaker as part of the battery replacement. They said it gets destroyed as part of the process. I don't mind a new speaker, but is that what happens with non-Apple battery replacements too?

I also downloaded the battery charging alarm app that alerts you when you get a certain percentage of battery charged if you set the alarm. Seems like the people that don't let battery get too high or low have the longest battery life. No overnight charging it appears as well.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
Got it done this week. 9:10 a.m. appointment (opened at 9 a.m.) and probably handed over the iPhone around 9:20 a.m.. The email for pickup showed up at 10:36 a.m. (didn't have another device so didn't see it). I came back at 10:45 a.m. and had it by 10:52 a.m.

The Apple Store also replaces the speaker as part of the battery replacement. They said it gets destroyed as part of the process. I don't mind a new speaker, but is that what happens with non-Apple battery replacements too?

I also downloaded the battery charging alarm app that alerts you when you get a certain percentage of battery charged if you set the alarm. Seems like the people that don't let battery get too high or low have the longest battery life. No overnight charging it appears as well.
You can do something similar in the shortcuts app and you don't need an app running in the background. You gave me the idea for it actually and I figured out how to do it. This shortcuts app is surprisingly powerful. Here's how to do it:

Shortcuts app----> Automation ---> Create personal automation --> scroll down to the bottom "battery level" ----> choose what % you want ------> next ----> add action ------> search (as in actually do a search) for "notification" ----> Show notification----> customize it how you see fit.

Can't figure out how to change the sound tone...but this will do.

Reactions: caranddriver

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
You can do something similar in the shortcuts app and you don't need an app running in the background. You gave me the idea for it actually and I figured out how to do it. This shortcuts app is surprisingly powerful. Here's how to do it:

Shortcuts app----> Automation ---> Create personal automation --> scroll down to the bottom "battery level" ----> choose what % you want ------> next ----> add action ------> search (as in actually do a search) for "notification" ----> Show notification----> customize it how you see fit.

Can't figure out how to change the sound tone...but this will do.
I can't really seem to follow your process. I get to shortcuts app and there is nothing about automation anywhere.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
I can't really seem to follow your process. I get to shortcuts app and there is nothing about automation anywhere.
On the bottom when you first open on the left should say my shortcuts, then in the middle automation, and then gallery on the right.

Attachments

• 66467212-6213-46D2-B232-148983BFC6B2.jpeg
    66467212-6213-46D2-B232-148983BFC6B2.jpeg
    466.8 KB · Views: 51

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
On the bottom when you first open on the left should say my shortcuts, then in the middle automation, and then gallery on the right.
Works great. The app is good for tracking, but if you take phone off charger, the app alarm has to be reset I found out. My alarm at 80 percent did not ring and I caught it myself at 85% charge. Something to remember using it.

mvtm

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2017
My 7+ battery health is 85% currently but i have already replaced the battery when there was Apple's iPhone replacement battery program. ?

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
On a side note, I paid for the battery with an Apple e-gift card. The associate had to manually punch the number in though since the scanner couldn't read the string of numbers and letters. The original Genius said they are unable to use a balance on an Apple account. So if you need to pay for something in store, you may want to avoid transferring gift card amounts immediately to an online balance.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
My X was over 80%, but also had a warning to replace, a year ago when I tried to have it replaced. The Apple store couldn't open the phone, so I used it as a trade in. I liked that phone!

Though the 12 Pro I now have is a good replacement that I like too. The 11 was less liked due to no telephoto. But my sister likes it since it has much better battery life than her old 2016 SE.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
Works great. The app is good for tracking, but if you take phone off charger, the app alarm has to be reset I found out. My alarm at 80 percent did not ring and I caught it myself at 85% charge. Something to remember using it.
I don’t know about the alarm, but the notification doesn’t have to be reset. I’ve taken it off the charger many many times and it works every time. Check out the screenshot, try to duplicate and you should be good to go.

Attachments

• 14526EDB-023F-47D8-95FE-4573BF5F197E.jpeg
    14526EDB-023F-47D8-95FE-4573BF5F197E.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 98A68310-9D04-4294-B854-A8A6323135EF.jpeg
    98A68310-9D04-4294-B854-A8A6323135EF.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 64

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
I don’t know about the alarm, but the notification doesn’t have to be reset. I’ve taken it off the charger many many times and it works every time. Check out the screenshot, try to duplicate and you should be good to go.
I meant the 3rd-party battery health and charging alarm app. The iOS automation shortcuts work great.

Reactions: nmeed

Powermax

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
That is interesting, my speaker got replaced as well when I got a new battery from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.