Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnmarki

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2020
My launch iPhone X is at 92%. Normally, it charges 4-6 hrs/night on an Apple 12w and OG Lightning cable + 1.5hrs/day via CarPlay with OG Lightning cable. Also, 2-3x/month I will use the Apple Smart Battery case made for an iPhone XS.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
My wife's launch day X was at 78% when we traded it in (when I got my 12 Pro, I gave her my old X, which was effectively only 1 year old as I had gotten a new device right before my AppleCare expired so a new battery and is still at 96%).

Wireless charged every night for last 2 years with a nightstand Nomad Base Station overnight (1 year prior with the 5W charger).

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I wonder how accurate the battery health estimates really are. While I think that a person's charging habits will impact this to a large extent, I find it hard to believe that a 3 year old battery that has been charged every night (1095 charging cycles) could be at 100% health in reality.

Of course I guess it depends on how "empty" you let your phone get before charging and what constitutes a "cycle."
As I've stated in another thread... I think, it's about charging behavior, but not in the way most people conclude. That is, many people (based on comments, etc) don't use their iPhones until the auto power off due to low battery. Therefore, their devices are rarely rebooted -- mainly for updates/upgrades. My OCD has me doing a full cycle as much as possible, thus my iPhone is rebooted every few days or so*, and the battery nor charge percentage has ever 'jumped'. With some complaining/reporting 1% > drops in a short period or after an OS update/upgrade, (to me) it suggests iOS only does a battery health recalibration /recalculation during a boot/reboot.

Valid hypothesis?

Anyway...

@caranddriver 3 years, 1 month, 12 days later at 85%.

* I don't use my iPhone a lot lately, mostly tablet and desktop computers. As you can see, each cycle lasts plenty of time.
iPhone-X_battery-usage.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.