Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
My eyes adjusted.. don’t even notice it anymore but something did change when I did this update and created this thread. I noticed a difference immediately.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
83416033-B1E2-49D6-B063-16CE4FFA764B.jpeg
44523AC9-2DCC-411C-874D-20827875BC28.jpeg

Thats very obvious apple

solara321

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
[doublepost=1541903648][/doublepost]Finally updated my phone again yesterday that iOS 12.1. I did the original update & I wasn’t happy with the home screen being so faded. So I went back to iOS 11. I still think the problem exists on the home screen maybe a little better. It’s much better on the rest of the device. To make the home screen look better I changed my wallpaper now to a slightly darker one and I’m much happier with that & cant tell. I really think it’s worth upgrading for the new features you get.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
So this is still a problem? Did Apple do this to get iPhone X users to upgrade? Wtf is going on?

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
It’s planned obsolescence. They couldn’t slow down phones anymore because we figured them out, now their dimming the displays so that you look at the new ones and think how much better they look, you HAVE to HAVE it.

And for anybody still reading this who are feeling fired up right now ready to defend Apple, i am only being sarcastic.

Or am I?

Reactions: Robertoxxxl

kbartig

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2018
After reading this thread and others I delayed upgrading to iOS 12 but then got impatient waiting on the new features so upgraded and sure enough my phone was affected as well. I contacted Apple who asked me to try the simple steps of Force Reboot and Reset All Settings. I knew they wouldn't fix the issue but decided to try anyway. However, the Reset All Settings bricked the phone getting stuck in a look showing a white screen with black apple logo asking me to "Swipe up to upgrade". When I did it would try to do so get stuck, screen goes black, and then back to the Swipe up to upgrade screen. Apple then had me connect it to iTunes in recovery mode to update or restore there.

You will notice earlier in this thread it was mentioned that an update via iTunes in recovery mode resolved the issue. I didn't think how this could but in doing this to recover my phone it actually did resolve the recovery issue. The Apple agent said that an iTunes update puts a fresh copy of the latest iOS on your phone to resolve any issues if the over the air installation was corrupt. My installation must have been corrupt or it wouldn't have been bricked by a Reset All Settings. Just a theory but there may be a connection between my corrupt OS and the screen issue. Maybe not but just happy that the iPhone X on iOS 12 issue where colors look faded, way to warm, and blues slightly purpleish has now been resolved.

I hope this helps others as well.

kbartig

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2018
My understanding is restore will indeed erase everything unfortunately. When you updated in recovery mode did it go through the full installation process that takes about 10-15 minutes? When I first tried to do it, update didn't do anything, just said I already had the latest. Then when it was bricked it took a long time to update and then it was fixed. I have only been using it for a couple of hours so if anything looks strange after a day or two of use I will write back and let folks know but for now it does seem to be back to normal.

Kate0088

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2018
My understanding is restore will indeed erase everything unfortunately. When you updated in recovery mode did it go through the full installation process that takes about 10-15 minutes? When I first tried to do it, update didn't do anything, just said I already had the latest. Then when it was bricked it took a long time to update and then it was fixed. I have only been using it for a couple of hours so if anything looks strange after a day or two of use I will write back and let folks know but for now it does seem to be back to normal.

Last edited:

kbartig

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2018
I would agree with that, will likely be the same. I was hoping this would be a universal fix. I have spoken to 3 different Apple agents and none have heard of this which is so surprising.

viettanium

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Vietnam
im on iPhone X iOS 13.4
when you click the preview homescreen in wallpaper settings, the color is beautiful
but when you quit to homescreen the color is poor
please fix this Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.