Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
Idk if the colors are saturated but it did look different after the update. Didn’t know if I was going crazy or not lol. This is interesting.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
Idk if the colors are saturated but it did look different after the update. Didn’t know if I was going crazy or not lol. This is interesting.
Nope you're not going crazy.. I can't tell what it is.. but something changed. Not sure if maybe the settings in iOS12 adjust the display differently depending on ambient light vs iOS11? But the colors look.. idk, dull? Then some sharp? It just does not look calibrated correctly.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Nope you're not going crazy.. I can't tell what it is.. but something changed. Not sure if maybe the settings in iOS12 adjust the display differently depending on ambient light vs iOS11? But the colors look.. idk, dull? Then some sharp? It just does not look calibrated correctly.
I remember reading somewhere in the reddit iOS Beta subreddit that the white point was changed, for whatever reason. Probably to better optimize for the OLED screens. Give it a week and you probably won’t even notice the difference.

Reactions: xxjrsmith3xx

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
They changed how they filter the wallpaper, it could be that, they haven't changed colours OS wide or anything.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
I'm going to take a photo of my fiance's iPhone X on iOS 11 w/ the same wallpaper i have on iOS12 when I get home for science.

Reactions: skadd

gpociej

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
All of you have default / same as previous setting of white point?

how-to-reduce-white-point-in-ios-10-1.png

gpociej

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
I'm waiting for update to download so I will report for myself sometime later...

Would be great if someone with two Xs could take a photo with both using same wallpaper or showing a photo on screen.

camilaacolide

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2014
This is the only thing holding back my update... I was eager to try IOS12, but messing up the screen of iPhoneX is not nice. Does anyone has more information?

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I think they altered the nightshift settings. Mine seemed much warmer after the update but after moving the slider a little it seems to be behaving as expected.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
Going to restart my phone and see if there is a difference. My fiancé does have an X that is not updated. I’ll try and grab picks under the same light and same True Tone settings and True Tone off and see if there’s a difference. Who knows if you can even capture this on camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.