Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesc5z

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
This is really driving me crazy the longer the day goes on. Home screen was soooo washed out looking I ended up having to change my wallpaper to a much darker one just to give me a band-aid "fix".

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
What the heck did they change? Sometimes my screen looks yellow. I’m sitting in my car now and the white has like a yellow tint to it. This sucks. Apple releases a software update that makes the X fly and it takes the training wheels off of this thing but it turns your screen into looking like a iPhone 3GS. I can’t help but think this was intentional.

BAZ1307

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Newcastle, UK
My iPhone X’s screen looks a lot better after iOS 12 actually. I had initially been underwhelmed by my X’s screen when I bought it last year as it seemed a lot warmer than the iPhone 7 I had previously. This update seems to have corrected that and it looks a bit cooler than before? Not only that but photos I’ve taken in the past now seem to pop, which finally makes me feel wowed at it’s OLED display for the first time ever.

Maybe it’s a slight change to correct the colours for when the eventual switch of suppliers for the OLED screens in the XS and Max happens?

Reactions: vddobrev

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
I have the global variant that came with the BEST display (uniformity, white point etc) and it pops even more now after a clean install of ios 12.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
No way to really describe this other than when I updated my iPhone X to iOS12 the screen looked dimmer and duller, text almost a bit yellow instead of bright white and contrast dialed down.

I checked all the contrast and brightness settings and they're the same as they were before the update, and I don't use True Tone.

Any thoughts? Anyone else experiencing this?

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
No way to really describe this other than when I updated my iPhone X to iOS12 the screen looked dimmer and duller, text almost a bit yellow instead of bright white and contrast dialed down.

I checked all the contrast and brightness settings and they're the same as they were before the update, and I don't use True Tone.

Any thoughts? Anyone else experiencing this?

This was mentioned earlier and many people are reporting the same issue. I indeed noticed this after updating too. Didn’t think much of it at first but now as I use the phone more it’s actually starting to bother me a bit. Our once beautiful screens are now washed out and dull.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
This was mentioned earlier and many people are reporting the same issue. I indeed noticed this after updating too. Didn’t think much of it at first but now as I use the phone more it’s actually starting to bother me a bit. Our once beautiful screens are now washed out and dull.

This is ridiculous. Goes without saying.

Reactions: magicschoolbus

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Can anyone do comparison photos before and after iOS 12 upgrade?

And not a system screenshot but an actual photo of the device

I’m curious and don’t update until a jailbreak anyways

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Can anyone do comparison photos before and after iOS 12 upgrade?

And not a system screenshot but an actual photo of the device

I’m curious and don’t update until a jailbreak anyways

My wife just got home with her X running iOS11 using the same settings I did before the update. I’m going to do some quick A/B comparisons.

Reactions: thadoggfather

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Lock screen extremely washed out. Looks like apple up the white point. Only the lock screen seems to be affected. Ruined my wallpaper.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I can’t help but feel like
Mojave is also less vibrant than Sierra on my 2016 nTB with a Samsung display

I used high Sierra for like a day or
Two many months ago and felt like it was a bit like mojave draining on contrast but my memory isn’t the best

ryanmp

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
Exactly the same issue for me. Really dull and weird colours.

iPhone 8 here.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
So I just spent 20 minutes comparing my wife's iPhone X (iOS11) and my iPhone X (just updated iOS12) bought on the same day last November and here's what I'm seeing:

1. All whites are yellowed.
2. Contrast is dialed down.
3. Sharpness is softened.
4. Brightness is reduced (at the same 50% level).

Overall appearance compared to iOS11 is not as sharp, lifeless, yellowed.

I don't know the cause but what I can report is that:

1. iOS12 enables Increase Contrast by default vs. iOS11 which has it set to off.
2. My wallpaper (simple grey gradient) is a lot more lit up, where it used to fade to black it's now a dark grey.
3. Increasing brightness restores some of the pop but not enough to overcome the contrast/sharpness hit.
4. The whites stay yellowish no matter what I try.

This appears to be a move by Apple to either save battery or prevent OLED burn. Either way it's taken my best-in-class display and made it much weaker and harder to read.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
So I just spent 20 minutes comparing my wife's iPhone X (iOS11) and my iPhone X (just updated iOS12) bought on the same day last November and here's what I'm seeing:

1. All whites are yellowed.
2. Contrast is dialed down.
3. Sharpness is softened.
4. Brightness is reduced (at the same 50% level).

Overall appearance compared to iOS11 is not as sharp, lifeless, yellowed.

I don't know the cause but what I can report is that:

1. iOS12 enables Increase Contrast by default vs. iOS11 which has it set to off.
2. My wallpaper (simple grey gradient) is a lot more lit up, where it used to fade to black it's now a dark grey.
3. Increasing brightness restores some of the pop but not enough to overcome the contrast/sharpness hit.
4. The whites stay yellowish no matter what I try.

This appears to be a move by Apple to either save battery or prevent OLED burn. Either way it's taken my best-in-class display and made it much weaker and harder to read.

Any way we can get a photo?

Does turning off increase contrast fix it?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My increase contrast wasn’t enabled and I really don’t notice any changes to the screen image quality.. Maybe it’s isolated to a low number of devices. I updated 3 devices today and they all look fine

Reactions: vddobrev

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Any way we can get a photo?

Does turning off increase contrast fix it?

I tried but the photos didn't capture what it looks like in real life.

Increase Contrast does nothing to the white/yellow/sharpness/contrast issue. It seems to only affect things like iMessage bubbles and such to make them easier to read (text bubbles turn navy instead of light blue, for example).

Reactions: thadoggfather

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
My increase contrast wasn’t enabled and I really don’t notice any changes to the screen image quality.. Maybe it’s isolated to a low number of devices. I updated 3 devices today and they all look fine

Same here. No increased contrast and screen quality is the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.