Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
4E7C7C90-0D16-4940-B725-E54E5A258600.jpeg

Try and read the “Other” and “Productivity” text set against that awful gray background on the widgets screen. Stocks is the same way with red against that color of gray. Absolutely horrible on the eyes.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Yep...I thought I was going crazy. Mine looks EXACTLY the same as OP is describing.

How did people now mention this before?!

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
D798E1B6-B68F-4DCF-9474-86149B878DB7.jpeg

Look at the red line of the stocks over that gray color. Just awful on the eyes!! What in the heck?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I wonder if it’s an OTA Only thing

Anyone tried restoring from iTunes and setting up as new ?

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I'm getting a very slight pink-ish tint on my 8 Plus, but bizarrely only when the phone has been in my pocket for a while. Maybe the heat from my leg? Doesn't do it if it leave it on my desk or whatever. Seems to go when True Tone is switched off though. Strange one.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Definitely something going on. My X seems faded and dull. I've tweeted Apple to see if they're aware

Reactions: umusachi

bleak7

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2018
I think they've changed something in transparency behavior. Here are three screenshots taken with a 6s of a grey and black wallpaper with the battery widget. The widget icons aren't very visible on the grey one. Furthermore if Reduced transparency is turned off, any transparent surface becomes much, much darker than it would previously.
black.PNG grey.PNG reduced_transparency.PNG

Attachments

• grey.PNG
    grey.PNG
    67.2 KB · Views: 261
  • black.PNG
    black.PNG
    99.4 KB · Views: 239
  • reduced_transparency.PNG
    reduced_transparency.PNG
    36.1 KB · Views: 215

WitchallsMedia

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
Looks awful as standard on my X.

To work around it:

Settings > General > Accessabilty > Display accommodations > Reduce white point - mines currently at 56% you then have to up the brightness after.

Hopefully Apple will sort it properly, made my eyes go funny last night.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Has anyone tried reverting to 11.4.1 to see if that undoes the colour change?

bleak7

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2018
Ok, so I found this:

https://reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/comments/9dqjy2/discussion_i_emailed_craig_about_wallpaper/

Does that make sense? Is this a wallpaper/home screen/lock screen thing only?

I’m not really nothing this, but then I’m using an older phone and my own custom wallpaper.

I'm not sure that's it. From what I can tell it's only certain transparent elements that have this issue. You can see in my screenshots above, the title bar of the battery widget seems to do transparency right, while the contents is a bit weird.

It feels as if the transparency values mix-max have been inverted, which would look the same or have a negligible difference with wallpapers (and maybe app backgrounds) that hit the middle values, but looks very off when outer values are hit.

That's a very interesting link by the way, thanks for sharing.

Edit: Can you try a very light gray wallpaper on lock or home screen, and check out if the battery widget icons are readable? Just out of curiosity.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
I couldn’t find the battery widgets, sorry.

I think we are talking about two separate issues, one relating to wallpaper, the other concerning widgets/transparency.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
So I just spent 20 minutes comparing my wife's iPhone X (iOS11) and my iPhone X (just updated iOS12) bought on the same day last November and here's what I'm seeing:

1. All whites are yellowed.
2. Contrast is dialed down.
3. Sharpness is softened.
4. Brightness is reduced (at the same 50% level).

Overall appearance compared to iOS11 is not as sharp, lifeless, yellowed.

I don't know the cause but what I can report is that:

1. iOS12 enables Increase Contrast by default vs. iOS11 which has it set to off.
2. My wallpaper (simple grey gradient) is a lot more lit up, where it used to fade to black it's now a dark grey.
3. Increasing brightness restores some of the pop but not enough to overcome the contrast/sharpness hit.
4. The whites stay yellowish no matter what I try.

This appears to be a move by Apple to either save battery or prevent OLED burn. Either way it's taken my best-in-class display and made it much weaker and harder to read.
Looks more like performance tweaks.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
My 7 looks great, and 'increase contrast' was not enabled by default. This was with a OTA update. I have a Xs arriving Friday so will see what the OLED looks like. I'm not seeing any issues tbh with the screen at all. Weird...

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Funny thing is, ive been on the betas since beta 1 and the screen on my X looked terrible, washed out etc.

Since the GM (i wiped it using an IPSW) screen looks awesome now.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
The X screen does really look like it has a yellow tint (using True Tone) and it’s not as sharp.

Apple really has to fix this; if it’s not fixed before ios11 is done being signed; I’m going back to 11. It looks like my phone has a tint to it.

I tried to get photos of my fiancé’s ios11 device... you have to see it with your eyes.

Reactions: boltjames
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.