Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Desmosedici_88

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2018
I made a profile to reply on this topic because i'm just flabbergasted on how Apple was able to mess this up.

After finishing the update i noticed the difference right away on the homescreen. Icon text was a bit more difficult to read and everything seemed washed out or too bright. Then i went to the "widgets center" where i have my widgets. The weather widget was extremely difficult to read. The white clouds where difficult to see. At first i was thinking that my brain was playing tricks on me. Reducing the white point in the settings did help a bit.

I think the wallpapers in ios12 are too bright, so they interfere with the text and icons. In iOS 11 the wallpapers where dimmed down.

Reverting to 11.4.1 does fix the problem. Everything looks so much better. Now i only miss the group notifications :(

Ps. If you have iOS 12 on your iPhone x, just set the stock green wallpaper with the rainbow to your homescreen and go to your widgets and look at the weather widget. Its really bad...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I really hope they address this

How could they overlook it?

It sounds like it’s been happening since betas

Screen is everything

Reactions: boltjames

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I don’t mean to be condescending but are you sure this isn’t in your heads? A few people have seen something and then the plant has been put in your mind and you’re expecting to see something so you do.

I’m really trying to notice a difference and it literally looks exactly the same as ios11.

Desmosedici_88

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2018
How do you revert back to 11.4.1? I have never done it before. Is it simple?

It's pretty easy. However, you cannot restore the iOS 12 backup. So if you made some pictures or anything these few days you need to save them manually.

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/downgrade-ios-12-back-11-4-1-your-iphone-0185081/
[doublepost=1537381913][/doublepost]
I don’t mean to be condescending but are you sure this isn’t in your heads? A few people have seen something and then the plant has been put in your mind and you’re expecting to see something so you do.

I’m really trying to notice a difference and it literally looks exactly the same as ios11.

100% sure. Indeed was thinking it's in my head. After downgrading i'm 100% sure they changed something.

Reactions: Kate0088

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010

No. I came looking to see if there was a thread on this as the difference was really obvious as soon as I updated.

Reactions: jhwalker

Kate0088

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2018

Last edited:
Reactions: boltjames

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I made a profile to reply on this topic because i'm just flabbergasted on how Apple was able to mess this up.

After finishing the update i noticed the difference right away on the homescreen. Icon text was a bit more difficult to read and everything seemed washed out or too bright. Then i went to the "widgets center" where i have my widgets. The weather widget was extremely difficult to read. The white clouds where difficult to see. At first i was thinking that my brain was playing tricks on me. Reducing the white point in the settings did help a bit.

I think the wallpapers in ios12 are too bright, so they interfere with the text and icons. In iOS 11 the wallpapers where dimmed down.

Reverting to 11.4.1 does fix the problem. Everything looks so much better. Now i only miss the group notifications :(

Ps. If you have iOS 12 on your iPhone x, just set the stock green wallpaper with the rainbow to your homescreen and go to your widgets and look at the weather widget. Its really bad...
I cannot believe they missed this either. As you said, the screen is everything!

Reactions: MaxSto

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017

Definitely not in mine or other people's heads. If a "seed being planted" by these posts was the reason, how do you explain people like myself noticing a problem immediately after the update and before knowing any of these posts even existed?
[doublepost=1537384599][/doublepost]
Same here...
Everything is washed out and hard to read on my iPhone X display...

Let’s hope for iOS 12.1
I hope everyone is reporting this to Apple. To be honest I am a little shocked that MacRumors hasn't jumped on this and gone to bat for us all to Apple.

Reactions: MaxSto

MaxSto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
Mönchengladbach, Germany
Definitely not in mine or other people's heads. If a "seed being planted" by these posts was the reason, how do you explain people like myself noticing a problem immediately after the update and before knowing any of these posts even existed?
[doublepost=1537384599][/doublepost]
I hope everyone is reporting this to Apple. To be honest I am a little shocked that MacRumors hasn't jumped on this and gone to bat for us all to Apple.

Come on MacRumors, we need your support.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
They could make it an article indeed to give it some attention
And they should, instead of making all these posts about how great iOS 12 is and how fast the adoption rate is. C'mon MR! You're supposed to look out for us Apple customers. This is a very serious issue. I noticed something was off immediately after updating my 8+. The colors just fell flat and certain text is extremely difficult to make out.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
IMG_6343.PNG
IMG_6344.PNG
IMG_6345.PNG

Hi there!
Could you please, post screenshots of the widget center using the green/rainbow stock wallpaper and the solid black one?
I will post mine. (stock green/rainbow, pure black, pure white). Thank you!

Last edited:

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016

Then go to settings, wallpaper and select the stock ios 12 wallpaper. Look at the colors. Then set it as your wallpaper and go to the homescreen. You see it instant.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Yeah, look at the blue "Other" and orange "Productivity" text against that dark gray background on the Screen Time widget. IT IS HORRENDOUS on the eyes! Very cringey!!

And what is this "Set up Screen Time in Settings." ridiculousness that splashes over the widget when you first swipe over to the widget screen? It is already "set up"! Bug...

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I went back to 11.4.1 and colours look great now, back to normal. Hopefully apple will fix this in an update soon so I can go back to grouped notifications. I have given Apple feedback about this issue, hope everyone else does too!
I too hope everyone is reporting this to Apple. Otherwise this can be viewed as some sort of change that we are just supposed to live with. Maybe that's why there's a lack of engagement on this from MacRumors. Maybe they think this is just the new "norm". Yikes!

I opened a developer bug report with screenshots and links back to this thread and others.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I went back to 11.4.1 and colours look great now, back to normal. Hopefully apple will fix this in an update soon so I can go back to grouped notifications. I have given Apple feedback about this issue, hope everyone else does too!
Could you please, post screenshots of the widgets center using the green/rainbow stock wallpaper, and the pure black? Thank you!

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Could you please, post screenshots of the widgets center using the green/rainbow stock wallpaper, and the pure black? Thank you!
Yes, please do! I want to be reminded of what it looks like in iOS 11 with a pure black wallpaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.