Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raidiantx

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018
I’m not using a screen protector, and I still notice the washed out effect.

I finally made some head way with apple support. The new senior advisor I talked with today (not the same one I’ve been talking with for a few days) said that she’s had other calls about this issue (First Lady I had said she hadn’t had any) and the engineers are in fact looking into it. She did say she had no idea when it will be addressed, but they do know of the problem and that it’s iOS 12 related. So I guess that’s something!?

Its certainly very noticeable with a screen protector because you see light scattering , perhaps its washed out without a screen protector, either way im convinced its the whites. My phone looks great now.

tcdav26

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Yarmouthport, MA
Its certainly very noticeable with a screen protector because you see light scattering , perhaps its washed out without a screen protector, either way im convinced its the whites. My phone looks great now.
Well it definitely looks washed out without as well! I’d imagine it’s noticable no matter what! Washed is washed and it looks bad! I’m glad you’re trick is working out! I’m trying it too, and for now, it’s definitely a great temporary fix! :)

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Well it definitely looks washed out without as well! I’d imagine it’s noticable no matter what! Washed is washed and it looks bad! I’m glad you’re trick is working out! I’m trying it too, and for now, it’s definitely a great temporary fix! :)

Tried the temp fix but I don’t notice any difference in colors, it just makes my screen dimmer.

tcdav26

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Yarmouthport, MA
Tried the temp fix but I don’t notice any difference in colors, it just makes my screen dimmer.
It’s not gonna make it 100% pre iOS 12, maybe it’s a fancy Jedi mind trick. Give your eyes a bit to adjust, and you will have to crank the brightness to counter balance.

Raidiantx

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018

You need to push the brightness up. Dont forget true tone plays tricks with your eyes too, so it always did dim and white balance even on ios 11 and its a good thing, switch off true tone to realize how its callibrating your screen.

ehaugk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
So i found a temporary fix. Not perfect but gets it back to how it was with the beautiful pop before.

Go to accessibility > display accomodations > turn off auto brightness > reduce white point by 49% > now manually turn brightness up to about 75-80%

Im pretty sure something ****ed up, probably some OLED saving mechanism. IOS 12 removed fidelity for sure, its especially obviously when you have a glass screen protector which blocks some of the light, reading is a lot harder

Edit: i used to work as post production manager for lionsgates promo. There is no shift in color, they did something to the screen output, the excess whitelight is getting scattered on alot peoples thin glass screen protectors , thus the white light is washing out the darker colors and blacks that otherwise should be punching out. Reducing the white fixes this, making the image back to sharp, but brightness needs to be pushed up to compensate.

Its probably a universal tweak, its just some people really like that pop out effect, if they never noticed the pop out effect then washing the darks a little out wont bother most less sensitive people and apple is likely not testing it with screen protectors.

Edit 2 : ive noticed using auto brightness is fine if you push it up a little bit the auto brightness knows you want it brighter so it will adjust. Much better for battery life!
This does fix it! Thank you for sharing. This is almost perfectly back to the way it was in iOS 11!

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
So i found a temporary fix. Not perfect but gets it back to how it was with the beautiful pop before.

Go to accessibility > display accomodations > turn off auto brightness > reduce white point by 49% > now manually turn brightness up to about 75-80%

Im pretty sure something ****ed up, probably some OLED saving mechanism. IOS 12 removed fidelity for sure, its especially obviously when you have a glass screen protector which blocks some of the light, reading is a lot harder

Edit: i used to work as post production manager for lionsgates promo. There is no shift in color, they did something to the screen output, the excess whitelight is getting scattered on alot peoples thin glass screen protectors , thus the white light is washing out the darker colors and blacks that otherwise should be punching out. Reducing the white fixes this, making the image back to sharp, but brightness needs to be pushed up to compensate.

Its probably a universal tweak, its just some people really like that pop out effect, if they never noticed the pop out effect then washing the darks a little out wont bother most less sensitive people and apple is likely not testing it with screen protectors.

Edit 2 : ive noticed using auto brightness is fine if you push it up a little bit the auto brightness knows you want it brighter so it will adjust. Much better for battery life!
I have noticed that reducing the white point brings colors back to where they used to be.. or similar, but I never had this enabled to begin with.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
You need to push the brightness up. Dont forget true tone plays tricks with your eyes too, so it always did dim and white balance even on ios 11 and its a good thing, switch off true tone to realize how its callibrating your screen.

True Tone has been off since day 1.

I’m still not seeing any difference at all to colors at full brightness with this trick. It just dims my screen and that’s a no no.

Raidiantx

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018
True Tone has been off since day 1.

I’m still not seeing any difference at all to colors at full brightness with this trick. It just dims my screen and that’s a no no.

If trutone is off then your screen not white balanced (white point is whatever the software thinks is white, truetone makes sure this white is the same as the room, so no trutone = no accurate white point) anyways which renders my solution inert probably.

There is also a possibility that this is a bug and it doesnt generate the same problem for everyone. I would point out its unlikely that updating would suddenly enable accessibility options not used before.

I’m pretty confident about the pop hypothesis as i’m always in love with the screen, so the moment it updated i knew something was off, i also did not know of this problem prior updating so i wasn’t looking for it. I also had more difficulty reading text on Whatsapp because the white excess was causing a refraction on the screen protector creating small twirls of rainbow light at certain angles.

Its hard to tell whether this is a bug or something Apple intended to do, as long as Apple doesnt even acknowledge this is a problem. Hopefully they are investigating and will make an announcement and its not some kind of stealth screen problem they are trying to cover up. I will admit that a lot of people will just not see it or may even prefer the washed out effect as it makes everything look more radioctive and closer to stereotypical lcd/tube screens.

Last edited:

MarioPhone96

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2017
New York
Oh. I see. Yeah I did notice that the wallpapers are much brighter than on iOS 11 based on the screenshots above. I’m not sure if that has to do with the intensity of the background making the icons in the foreground seem duller by comparison.

Edit: Oops. Forgot to quote you tromboneaholic.

Last edited:

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Oh. I see. Yeah I did notice that the wallpapers are much brighter than on iOS 11 based on the screenshots above. I’m not sure if that has to do with the intensity of the background making the icons in the foreground seem duller by comparison.

Edit: Oops. Forgot to quote you tromboneaholic.
It's possible Apple pushed more of a "poppy" image to show off the new OLED screens, and now they are backing off to make them a little more accurate.

I really don't know, to be honest, but I think it's possible.

tcdav26

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Yarmouthport, MA
According to a user (nemesisdoctor) on the Apple Support Communities Discussions, here’s a fix for the washed out colors:

• Connect iPhone to iTunes
  • Enter your iPhone into Recovery Mode
  • Choose Update, even if you are on the newest iOS (If you press "UPDATE" in recovery mode it will not erase your phone, it will focus on system only, so all settings will be untouched)
  • Let the iPhone go through the “update” process. After the iPhone reboots you should notice the colors are less washed (idk how it works)
  • If the "Update" trick doesn’t not work, a full system restore UNDER RECOVERY MODE will be necessary.

I tried it, and it worked for me! Give it a try!

Reactions: TL24

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
According to a user (nemesisdoctor) on the Apple Support Communities Discussions, here’s a fix for the washed out colors:

• Choose Update, even if you are on the newest iOS (If you press "UPDATE" in recovery mode it will not erase your phone, it will focus on system only, so all settings will be untouched)
  • Let the iPhone go through the “update” process. After the iPhone reboots you should notice the colors are less washed (idk how it works)
  • If the "Update" trick doesn’t not work, a full system restore UNDER RECOVERY MODE will be necessary.

By “Recovery Mode” do you mean DFU mode? And if so, doesn’t that wipe your device, reinstall iOS, and restore from backup?

Can you post a link to the source article?

EDIT: Found this short thread, but last post implies it doesn’t work.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8545850

Last edited:

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011

Tried and there’s no option to “Update”, it’s greyed out.

tcdav26

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Yarmouthport, MA
By “Recovery Mode” do you mean DFU mode? And if so, doesn’t that wipe your device, reinstall iOS, and restore from backup?

Can you post a link to the source article?

EDIT: Found this short thread, but last post implies it doesn’t work.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8545850
It was another thread that looked similar.

Recovery mode (not the same as DFU): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

It seems to of helped me for the time being, also TL24. Not sure why it would be greyed out, I will look into that

Last edited:

Kate0088

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2018

Last edited:

tcdav26

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Yarmouthport, MA
Sorry guys, I thought that I would post a potential fix that seem to of helped me, I hope it’s not a placebo, I guess we won’t really know unless Apple releases it in an update to iOS. Sorry if this is it working For you! :-/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.