Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tcdav26

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Yarmouthport, MA
To make it more obvious, they did not even bother to ask me to give them the logs until I asked them the painfully simple question of "don't you guys need the log for the engineers to do the analysis?".
Sweet Jesus. They went and did their mirroring thing that can do, I sent several photo examples as well. I was told by the laaaaaaady that I talked to she was gonna call me Sunday, regardless if the “engineeries” respond. I’ll give a status report later on...

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Sweet Jesus. They went and did their mirroring thing that can do, I sent several photo examples as well. I was told by the laaaaaaady that I talked to she was gonna call me Sunday, regardless if the “engineeries” respond. I’ll give a status report later on...
If they ever call you back.
One of my report was made in April, 2018.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
I have started getting used to it. I guess why this originally jumped out at me is my screen is mostly orange/red with the background I have. It seems to be really affecting the reds/oranges in particular.

kaintxu

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2018
Edinburgh
So I have just updated after making a copy in itunes just in case I have to downgrade back to 11.4, but to be honest, I can't see any difference.

Not saying you guys are not having a problem. My sensibility for these things is not too high to be honest, so it could have changed and I'm not noticing anything, or it might have not changed (I think it hasnt)

Happy with the update and will do my wife's s next and report.

ehaugk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
I want to poll folks who have experience the wash-out/saturation issue. Is there a time of day or a specific brightness level that you've noticed the issue more? I've found that it is extremely prevalent when brightness is turned all the way down at night or in dark conditions. Extremely noticeable. But then mostly during daytime when brightness levels are higher it seems fine. This would also explain the heated debate as to why some folks have noticed it and others have not. Curious to see if anyone else can confirm the hypothesis.

tcdav26

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Yarmouthport, MA
I want to poll folks who have experience the wash-out/saturation issue. Is there a time of day or a specific brightness level that you've noticed the issue more? I've found that it is extremely prevalent when brightness is turned all the way down at night or in dark conditions. Extremely noticeable. But then mostly during daytime when brightness levels are higher it seems fine. This would also explain the heated debate as to why some folks have noticed it and others have not. Curious to see if anyone else can confirm the hypothesis.
Well now I wonder if it’s an issue with the ambient light sensor. And when true tone is off, it’s not really all the way off... that could be messing with the contrast. Also explaining why some people don’t see it because there senors are fine. Hmmmmmmm.

Reactions: empirenine

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Well now I wonder if it’s an issue with the ambient light sensor. And when true tone is off, it’s not really all the way off... that could be messing with the contrast. Also explaining why some people don’t see it because there senors are fine. Hmmmmmmm.

I'd be inclined to wonder if there is a difference between people using a full coverage screen protector, and either no screen protector or one that's not full coverage. The full coverage ones seem to be hit and miss as to whether they leave enough clear glass above the earpiece hole for the ambient light sensor (which is the same size and shape as the earpiece hole, and located directly above it) to operate correctly.

tcdav26

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Yarmouthport, MA
I'd be inclined to wonder if there is a difference between people using a full coverage screen protector, and either no screen protector or one that's not full coverage. The full coverage ones seem to be hit and miss as to whether they leave enough clear glass above the earpiece hole for the ambient light sensor (which is the same size and shape as the earpiece hole, and located directly above it) to operate correctly.
I’m not using a screen protector, so that’s not an issue for me. I still wonder if any of this is hardware or software. It’s annoying that Apple support isnt more helpful. Their first thing that say to me is just return and replace it

MarcWMT

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
5563FBF3-8D4E-4CD7-8647-CEE978B997A1.png
Does anyone else feel like your iPhone X Screen.. the colors look... off after updating to iOS12?

Problem solved after talking to Apple. IOS12 must have changed a setting in General, Accessibility, Display Accomodations. Settings in that menu should be like this. In my case the last option (white point) was on: that turned out to be the problem

ehaugk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
View attachment 791424

Problem solved after talking to Apple. IOS12 must have changed a setting in General, Accessibility, Display Accomodations. Settings in that menu should be like this. In my case the last option (white point) was on: that turned out to be the problem
Unfortunately problem not solved. My settings look like that, as I imagine numerous also do. Problem still exists.

holyrita

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2010
My settings look like that, also still experiencing the issue. I got so frustrated that I tried a restore and set up as new but it was still there. Restored from a backup after that and now I'm having software issues too. This just sucks :(

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
iOS 12.1 B2 doesn't fix this issue either btw.

I can only hope that it reverts back to what it once was in the next beta!

Reactions: Kate0088

BillMoller

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016
Is the color wash out issue the same as the Portrait photo issue? "Washed out colors in Portrait mode on IOS12" https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8549699

I have the portrait mode issue, on an iPhone X...

OP, "I am using a iPhone X. I've update on IOS 12. some how i noticed an issue that is that when i switch to portrait mode in camera app the colors of image become faded (less vibrant, very dull) as soon as the camera focuses on a subject. this is happening only in portrait mode. the wide angle lens in normal photo mode works perfectly."

My "contribution," "New to iOS 12, when portrait mode locks on, colors snap to a gross off-grey. Camera otherwise shows great colors, even while locking on."

Thanks,
~Bill

Reactions: MarioPhone96

ChrisDB

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
Bucharest Romania
Colors are not changed . If you remember before iOS 11 , home screen look like this , in iOS 11 Apple put a filter on wallpaper like a shade so the icons will pop up . The removed the filer on iOS 12 (which was put on every wallpaper) and now you see the real image and the icons do not pop . This way is better cause in ios 11 the wallpaper was too dark .

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
If nothing was changed it would be nice if Apple put out a small statement just saying what changed in the interface to make it seem like our screens were not out of wack.

MarioPhone96

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2017
New York
Is the color wash out issue the same as the Portrait photo issue? "Washed out colors in Portrait mode on IOS12" https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8549699

I have the portrait mode issue, on an iPhone X...

OP, "I am using a iPhone X. I've update on IOS 12. some how i noticed an issue that is that when i switch to portrait mode in camera app the colors of image become faded (less vibrant, very dull) as soon as the camera focuses on a subject. this is happening only in portrait mode. the wide angle lens in normal photo mode works perfectly."

My "contribution," "New to iOS 12, when portrait mode locks on, colors snap to a gross off-grey. Camera otherwise shows great colors, even while locking on."

Thanks,
~Bill
My iPhone X was doing the same exact thing. Portrait mode on the rear camera was making some severely dull photos. And if I would tilt the camera a little away from my subject, the colors came back like magic.

I also had that screen wash out problem on my iPhone X. Downgrading to 11.4.1 fixed both issues for me. Shame.

holyrita

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2010
Colors are not changed . If you remember before iOS 11 , home screen look like this , in iOS 11 Apple put a filter on wallpaper like a shade so the icons will pop up . The removed the filer on iOS 12 (which was put on every wallpaper) and now you see the real image and the icons do not pop . This way is better cause in ios 11 the wallpaper was too dark .

I don't remember seeing the opposite of this change going from iOS 10 to iOS 11..

Although maybe I attributed it to the new OLED on the iPhone X? Frustrating either way :mad:

Raidiantx

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018
So i found a temporary fix. Not perfect but gets it back to how it was with the beautiful pop before.

Go to accessibility > display accomodations > turn off auto brightness > reduce white point by 49% > now manually turn brightness up to about 75-80%

Im pretty sure something ****ed up, probably some OLED saving mechanism. IOS 12 removed fidelity for sure, its especially obviously when you have a glass screen protector which blocks some of the light, reading is a lot harder

Edit: i used to work as post production manager for lionsgates promo. There is no shift in color, they did something to the screen output, the excess whitelight is getting scattered on alot peoples thin glass screen protectors , thus the white light is washing out the darker colors and blacks that otherwise should be punching out. Reducing the white fixes this, making the image back to sharp, but brightness needs to be pushed up to compensate.

Its probably a universal tweak, its just some people really like that pop out effect, if they never noticed the pop out effect then washing the darks a little out wont bother most less sensitive people and apple is likely not testing it with screen protectors.

Edit 2 : ive noticed using auto brightness is fine if you push it up a little bit the auto brightness knows you want it brighter so it will adjust. Much better for battery life!

Attachments

• 1DF8126C-83AD-4A21-86F8-814A99FF0492.png
    1DF8126C-83AD-4A21-86F8-814A99FF0492.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 266
  • CE903828-EC71-43CF-9E12-5E3B51C6B795.png
    CE903828-EC71-43CF-9E12-5E3B51C6B795.png
    328.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

tcdav26

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Yarmouthport, MA
So i found a temporary fix. Not perfect but gets it back to how it was with the beautiful pop before.

Go to accessibility > display accomodations > turn off auto brightness > reduce white point by 49% > now manually turn brightness up to about 75-80%

Im pretty sure something ****ed up, probably some OLED saving mechanism. IOS 12 removed fidelity for sure, its especially obviously when you have a glass screen protector which blocks some of the light, reading is a lot harder

Edit: i used to work as post production manager for lionsgates promo. There is no shift in color, they did something to the screen output, the excess whitelight is getting scattered on alot peoples thin glass screen protectors , thus the white light is washing out the darker colors and blacks that otherwise should be punching out. Reducing the white fixes this, making the image back to sharp, but brightness needs to be pushed up to compensate.

Its probably a universal tweak, its just some people really like that pop out effect, if they never noticed the pop out effect then washing the darks a little out wont bother most less sensitive people and apple is likely not testing it with screen protectors.

Edit 2 : ive noticed using auto brightness is fine if you push it up a little bit the auto brightness knows you want it brighter so it will adjust. Much better for battery life!
I’m not using a screen protector, and I still notice the washed out effect. Though I will say when you reduce the white point, the color shift on the display is hardly noticeable.... huge change. Maybe if they actually fix this, a lot of people with the yellow tint issue will notice a huge improvement!... maybe.

I finally made some head way with apple support. The new senior advisor I talked with today (not the same one I’ve been talking with for a few days) said that she’s had other calls about this issue (First Lady I had said she hadn’t had any) and the engineers are in fact looking into it. She did say she had no idea when it will be addressed, but they do know of the problem and that it’s iOS 12 related. So I guess that’s something!?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.