Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
As I said, I'm a professional video editor. I deal with color all day for a living. I see no difference on 2 iPhone X, so it's not a universal problem.

The photos posted above showing minor before and after differences are due to different camera exposures.

There may be some settings that have been changed, but it is not universal for everyone.
Great - And I work at a National TV Network where we deal with color all day for a living - with editors, master control, camera ops, coordinators, directors, etc, and... gasp.. professional video editors! Please tell me why your "professional video editor" title has anything to do with you reporting that you are not part of what may be an isolated problem to a few users?

And no kidding its not universal for everyone. Thats been reported in this thread. Do you have anything else do add, or do you enjoy saying, I'm a professional ___ and I do this for a living! And I am not having this problem!

Great!!! Thanks for the update!!! Now get back to work to editing your iJustine Youtube Videos and personal Vlogs. Jerk.
[doublepost=1537802442][/doublepost]
Thats the fix for our screens. Beeing a video editor or game dev! You wont notice it anymore since your eyes are perfectly matched with the world now

Edit: Oh sorry I meant a PROFESSIONAL video editor!!
WERE JUST LOOKING AT IT WRONG, FOLKS. YOU HAVE TO SEE IT THROUGH THE EYES OF A VIDEO EDITOR OR GAME DEVELOPER!

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Great - And I work at a National TV Network where we deal with color all day for a living - with editors, master control, camera ops, coordinators, directors, etc, and... gasp.. professional video editors! Please tell me why your "professional video editor" title has anything to do with you reporting that you are not part of what may be an isolated problem to a few users?

And no kidding its not universal for everyone. Thats been reported in this thread. Do you have anything else do add, or do you enjoy saying, I'm a professional ___ and I do this for a living! And I am not having this problem!

Great!!! Thanks for the update!!! Now get back to work to editing your iJustine Youtube Videos and personal Vlogs. Jerk.
[doublepost=1537802442][/doublepost]
WERE JUST LOOKING AT IT WRONG, FOLKS. YOU HAVE TO SEE IT THROUGH THE EYES OF A VIDEO EDITOR OR GAME DEVELOPER!
If you work with color, then why did you ask if the colors were saturated before the thread became about the screens being washed out?

Those are two situations that would be at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
This is probably not going to go well.... But I have to ask. Are you guys/gals sure you haven’t.... like.... you know, imagined all of this?

I work in a game dev studio with lots of painters, artists, sculptors - people that work with color every day (me included) - and there are several iPhones X going around, updated to iOS 12 - and no one is seeing any issues. Granted, none of us are A/V enthusiasts or anything (there’s a small amount of insanity in these circles that I kinda respect), but still.

So, all I’m saying is that it could be a psychological thing, or the difference is so small it’s not significant to, erm, regular people.

Stop.

You’ve made your point multiple times. Please leave the rest of us who are legitimately experiencing a problem alone. Thanks.

Reactions: MarioPhone96

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
If you work with color, then why did you ask if the colors were saturated before the thread became about the screens being washed out?

Those are two situations that would be at the opposite ends of the spectrum.
But the post title says they are saturated, which is the opposite.
I'm sorry my thread title is triggering you.

At the time I was unsure of what changed - and I still don't know what changed - the screen looks different. Would you like me to update it for you so you can stop crying about my word selection?

Funny that the second this thread got linked by a few tech sites; a bunch of trolls came in and are trying to discredit anyone having problems. Who are you shilling for?

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I'm sorry my thread title is triggering you.

At the time I was unsure of what changed - and I still don't know what changed - the screen looks different. Would you like me to update it for you so you can stop crying about my word selection?

Funny that the second this thread got linked by a few tech sites; a bunch of trolls came in and are trying to discredit anyone having problems. Who are you shilling for?
I am with you! No one really knows what exactly changed. All we know is it is harder on the eyes and far less legible when it comes to certain text colors overlaying certain backgrounds.

Reactions: bleak7

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I am with you! No one really knows what exactly changed. All we know is it is harder on the eyes and far less legible when it comes to certain text colors overlaying certain backgrounds.
The background transparency issue is unrelated to screen calibration, screen saturation, or anything this thread claims to be about.
[doublepost=1537814650][/doublepost]
Even the before and after photos show there is no problem. Did a shill post those?
[doublepost=1537814885][/doublepost]The phone they posted as being washed out (2nd photo) is just due to a different camera exposure as you can tell by the slightly brighter lightning connector.

6ea6a1b1-34f6-486b-91b0-d54cb7fbc6fa-jpeg.787830
960056f4-1b53-4734-a3f0-a9ea764957a4-jpeg.787831

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
The background transparency issue is unrelated to screen calibration, screen saturation, or anything this thread claims to be about.
Even the before and after photos show there is no problem. Did a shill post those?
[doublepost=1537814885][/doublepost]The phone they posted as being washed out (2nd photo) is just due to a different camera exposure as you can tell by the slightly brighter lightning connector.

Thank you for admitting there is a background transparency issue.

Reactions: bleak7

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Yes. The transparency effect seems to be a bit wanky, but it's a graphic effect in the software that seems to be the issue, not screen calibration.
Well I hope Apple fixes it soon because it is killing certain text legibility on the widgets screen depending upon what wallpaper you use.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I can agree with that. I would expect it to be in the next update, but who knows....
I am disappointed that things like this even make it to the final release. Even after so many beta versions in between. Makes a person question the eyes of those testing these betas. Not to mention the Apple designers.

MarioPhone96

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2017
New York

6ea6a1b1-34f6-486b-91b0-d54cb7fbc6fa-jpeg.787830
960056f4-1b53-4734-a3f0-a9ea764957a4-jpeg.787831
Wow. A shill, huh? That was a bit unnecessary, no? I tried documenting what I feel is a problem and it didn’t work out too well. It’s easier to see in person as magicschoolbus suggested.

Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'm not seeing/noticing this on IOS12 but I am seeing it on my Mac OS which I just updated today. Maybe my eyes

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
This is like that dress photo that everyone saw differently. Some people see it some people don’t. (This was meant to be a joke but maybe there’s some truth to it lol)

Reactions: nospleen

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
This is probably not going to go well.... But I have to ask. Are you guys/gals sure you haven’t.... like.... you know, imagined all of this?

I work in a game dev studio with lots of painters, artists, sculptors - people that work with color every day (me included) - and there are several iPhones X going around, updated to iOS 12 - and no one is seeing any issues. Granted, none of us are A/V enthusiasts or anything (there’s a small amount of insanity in these circles that I kinda respect), but still.

So, all I’m saying is that it could be a psychological thing, or the difference is so small it’s not significant to, erm, regular people.

I still have my iPhone X, running the same version of iOS, and the difference is striking (to me, at least).

I've noticed that some people don't see differences in hue, saturation, etc., that I do, though - some people are definitely more / less sensitive to colors than others.

Reactions: MarioPhone96
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.