Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
They won’t refund you. You’ll get a white box replacement which, at this point, are brand new production devices.

I see, im pretty new to returns/replacements as i haven’t had any problems with my Apple products in the last 12 years, this is my first one.

So you reckon these so called white boxes are or should be in stock?
[doublepost=1511171293][/doublepost]
Ah, I thought the stock issues were over now. I’m in London so perhaps that was a skewed view.

No, they don’t - it’s not their sale to refund. Regardless of refunds, I would always advise anyone to buy Apple products directly from Apple.

I would have bought it from Apple if they had any in stock!!!

Reactions: andy9l

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I see, im pretty new to returns/replacements as i haven’t had any problems with my Apple products in the last 12 years, this is my first one.

So you reckon these so called white boxes are or should be in stock?
[doublepost=1511171293][/doublepost]

I would have bought it from Apple if they had any in stock!!!

Each store receive the white box replacements for exchanges for this very reason. They are production line items and are brand new at this point. It will take around 3-4 months before we start seeing refurbished units back but even then, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
Each store receive the white box replacements for exchanges for this very reason. They are production line items and are brand new at this point. It will take around 3-4 months before we start seeing refurbished units back but even then, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Ok. Do you know if I have to take the box etc with me as well or just the iPhone

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I live in Pakistan here there is no apple store if this happens I cannot get replaced as all iPhones are smuggled
Then you should be glad that in Apple's case it's been (historically) pretty damn rare that they have swollen battery issues.

Sorry, but you're buying grey-market....in order to attain warranty support you would have to travel to a country that the product is sold.

Reactions: btrach144

malikkamran

Suspended
Oct 6, 2016
Pakistan
Then you should be glad that in Apple's case it's been (historically) pretty damn rare that they have swollen battery issues.

Sorry, but you're buying grey-market....in order to attain warranty support you would have to travel to a country that the product is sold.
you know how worse Pakistan passport is can not get visa to travel

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
Just got back from the Apple store and no luck today, they said that they are fully booked and I should come back on Thursday. Also the gap according to them has nothing to do with the battery and it is not an urgent matter. Just wasted £12 on a train ticket. :( **** service, i even told them that i am worried it might blow up and can i leave the phone to them, they answered no and no. Well disappointed!!!
[doublepost=1511200410][/doublepost]
All I see are fingerprints.

Then get your eyes checked. 2 of the Apple employees did confirm there is a gap and it is not normal and also they had never seen something like this before on the X
[doublepost=1511201275][/doublepost]Wow good news:

Attachments

• 13379BDE-6C76-46E5-9977-DFBBA039C623.png
    13379BDE-6C76-46E5-9977-DFBBA039C623.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 301

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Eh, yeah that's a classic "lithium battery bulge" (Happened to IP5 and 6+ twice) - NOT supposed to happen this early! The very early sign of the battery starting to do this was the phone was running very warm, battery life dropping fast.

I picked up my X yesterday..take it for test run and see how I like it for the next few weeks before I make a final decision, still holding on to my 8+ for now.

The one thing I am personally noticing is the X gets much warmer compared to the 8+, especially when using the camera. Battery seems to be ok though for now I guess.
Not a big fan of this warming up like that right now.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Just got back from the Apple store and no luck today, they said that they are fully booked and I should come back on Thursday. Also the gap according to them has nothing to do with the battery and it is not an urgent matter. Just wasted £12 on a train ticket. :( **** service, i even told them that i am worried it might blow up and can i leave the phone to them, they answered no and no. Well disappointed!!!
[doublepost=1511200410][/doublepost]

Then get your eyes checked. 2 of the Apple employees did confirm there is a gap and it is not normal and also they had never seen something like this before on the X
[doublepost=1511201275][/doublepost]Wow good news:

That is terrible customer service and you should have been seen regardless.

You need to email Tim Cook, obviously he won’t pick it up but someone from his office will and they’ll compensate you with a free case of some sort.

They allow walk in appointments but you have to wait.

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK

You need to email Tim Cook, obviously he won’t pick it up but someone from his office will and they’ll compensate you with a free case of some sort.

Agreed, i think they just realised it as well cos they texted me saying that they managed to save me a spot on the genius bar for tonight @6:50. Got there and was told it has been pushed back 30 mins until 7:20pm lol

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Agreed, i think they just realised it as well cos they texted me saying that they managed to save me a spot on the genius bar for tonight @6:50. Got there and was told it has been pushed back 30 mins until 7:20pm lol

Don’t worry too much right now. Let them see you at 7:30. You’ll get your replacement and be fine.

You’ll also get a follow up email in a couple of days to which you can feedback on the bad customer service and you can outline the issues.

You could even ask for a manager before you leave once you’ve been served and explain your experience with your £1200 flag ship device and ask how are they going to put the situation right and compensate you.

There’s no way they can say it’s not the battery without looking at the device properly!

So, don’t just leave, get a free pair of AirPods.

Reactions: DizzyV6P and waquzy

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
Don’t worry too much right now. Let them see you at 7:30. You’ll get your replacement and be fine.

You’ll also get a follow up email in a couple of days to which you can feedback on the bad customer service and you can outline the issues.

You could even ask for a manager before you leave once you’ve been served and explain your experience with your £1200 flag ship device and ask how are they going to put the situation right and compensate you.

There’s no way they can say it’s not the battery without looking at the device properly!

So, don’t just leave, get a free pair of AirPods.

They have sorted me out, got a new phone, in that white box like u said. Im well happy!!!

Attachments

• 452D6E22-2D78-4775-A8F4-890DC783A1C9.jpeg
    452D6E22-2D78-4775-A8F4-890DC783A1C9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 312

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
They had to buddy. Speak to the manager on the way out.

This is a brand new device at this stage. It shouldn’t have taken what it did to get the outcome.

I was just so happy that i got the replacement there and then i didnt wanna ruin their and my mood by starting complaining if it makes sense. But you do have a point... maybe when i get the follow up email i may complain a bit

Ps, cheers for your help mate, much appreciated

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I was just so happy that i got the replacement there and then i didnt wanna ruin their and my mood by starting complaining if it makes sense. But you do have a point... maybe when i get the follow up email i may complain a bit

Ps, cheers for your help mate, much appreciated

No worries. Glad you got it sorted.

They do have the flexibility to offer good will cases. They always want to make the situation right.

Reactions: waquzy

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
I am really glad you got a new X!

I definitely would report that customer service in your follow up email. If you expressed any concern about the battery, they ought to have seen you almost right away, and certainly not sent you home. A leaking/swelling battery issue can turn very bad very fast!

Reactions: waquzy

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK

Customers with appointment should have priority, after that first come, first served. If they are short of staff there will be a wait. That is just common sense, not bad costumer service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.