Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I was just so happy that i got the replacement there and then i didnt wanna ruin their and my mood by starting complaining if it makes sense. But you do have a point... maybe when i get the follow up email i may complain a bit

Ps, cheers for your help mate, much appreciated
Did they confirm it was a battery issue?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If that was my phone i wouldn’t bother with an appointment, I’d just walk in and speak to someone immediately. Judging by the picture the only safe place for that iPhone is in a metal box in the garden. Hope it’s sorted.

Reactions: waquzy

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Regardless of refunds, I would always advise anyone to buy Apple products directly from Apple.
Not sure if they sell iPhones but John Lewis sell Apple products for the same price and offer a standard 2 year warranty, whereas Apple only offer a 1 year. You can usually argue a 2 year warranty under EU law, but it’s a wrangle. John Lewis are perhaps the best retailer here and have superb customer service. I always buy my iPads or MacBooks from them for this reason. In Cardiff they are next door to the Apple store too so they share stock.

Reactions: azing

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
Did they confirm it was a battery issue?

They didn't say anything actually, the adviser/engineer just took one look and said, oh yeah, it has indeed coming apart, I saw him putting down the reason for replacement as "the side is peeling off" He told me I get a new one straight away.
He also said that in the first 3 weeks since the launch, there have been only 2 returns(mine being the second) of the iPhone X in the HighCross Apple store, the first one had a software issue apparently.

Reactions: webbuzz

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
They didn't say anything actually, the adviser/engineer just took one look and said, oh yeah, it has indeed coming apart, I saw him putting down the reason for replacement as "the side is peeling off" He told me I get a new one straight away.
He also said that in the first 3 weeks since the launch, there have been only 2 returns(mine being the second) of the iPhone X in the HighCross Apple store, the first one had a software issue apparently.
Thanks for the reply.

Glad you received a replacement.

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
If that was my phone i wouldn’t bother with an appointment, I’d just walk in and speak to someone immediately. Judging by the picture the only safe place for that iPhone is in a metal box in the garden. Hope it’s sorted.

I did say I don't feel safe taking it back home, but the adviser said it has definitely nothing to do with the battery... I even said I thought this would classify as an urgent matter, in-case the phone blows up or what not. He just looked at me like £$%!$%"$£

But i think later they realised this could be serious and actually texted me and invited me back to the store

dontworry

Suspended
Mar 18, 2010
I did say I don't feel safe taking it back home, but the adviser said it has definitely nothing to do with the battery... I even said I thought this would classify as an urgent matter, in-case the phone blows up or what not. He just looked at me like £$%!$%"$£

But i think later they realised this could be serious and actually texted me and invited me back to the store
Situations like these I ask for a manager to tell me the same thing. If two people say it, I’m more likely to trust them. I just can’t imagine an Apple store manager letting you leave with a X in that condition.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
They have sorted me out, got a new phone, in that white box like u said. Im well happy!!!

Great! Glad they got you in today after all. You should follow up about your experience in your customer service email. They definitely should have worked you in with that battery issue. Them saying that it wasn’t without a diagnostic being ran was premature and having you run around with an unsafe device wasn’t wise on their part either.

Either way, hope this one works out for you!

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I live in Pakistan here there is no apple store if this happens I cannot get replaced as all iPhones are smuggled

Stop spreading false rumors. There are Apple Resellers there. The company that deals with Samsung also has the dealership for Apple and you can surely get your iPhone replaced via them. And if you think that phones are smuggled then you must be smoking crack. There are a lot of people who import them and as i said there are companies who get it.
[doublepost=1511229355][/doublepost]
you know how worse Pakistan passport is can not get visa to travel

Wow what a false claim. I am sitting in USA on Pakistani passport. Have been to England,Thailand,China,Canada,France,Spain on the same passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DiveKitty

MacQork

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2017
I have the same problem, same side, just a gap between the screen and housing, can fit a piece of paper there.

Called Apple Care and they took care of it, got redirected to aftersales and they told me I get sent a new one.

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
I have the same problem, same side, just a gap between the screen and housing, can fit a piece of paper there.

Called Apple Care and they took care of it, got redirected to aftersales and they told me I get sent a new one.

Did u have the problem on day one or later? Apple care is good like that, i don’t have it, too costly

MacQork

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2017
Did u have the problem on day one or later? Apple care is good like that, i don’t have it, too costly

I noticed it yesterday when eating a banana (using a new phone and eating a banana makes you realise how Much banana Gets on your hands lol) Some got stuck between the gap and tried to get it out with a piece of paper. Then I realised there was a gap at all. I don’t have Apple Care + either, I just called the normal Apple Care.

No problem at all with my phone except for the gap. Now I’m scared my replacement Will have a non-uniform screen, talk about paranoia lol

I had to install a backup from my old phone and my X turned really hot as it was super laggy. I couldnt erase the phone it would give me an error, so that may be it? Could’ve been there from the start for all I know

twisted_mind

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2015
A similar thing happened with my out of warranty Apple Watch. Apple more than happily replaced it with a series 1 (mine was series 0). Not a single penny charged. No AppleCare or any insurance either.
The OP’s device is still in its first month of warranty. I see nothing but a seamless replacement.
Just get it replaced. A swollen battery could be very risky with all the explosion incidents we read of.

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
I noticed it yesterday when eating a banana (using a new phone and eating a banana makes you realise how Much banana Gets on your hands lol) Some got stuck between the gap and tried to get it out with a piece of paper. Then I realised there was a gap at all. I don’t have Apple Care + either, I just called the normal Apple Care.

No problem at all with my phone except for the gap. Now I’m scared my replacement Will have a non-uniform screen, talk about paranoia lol

I had to install a backup from my old phone and my X turned really hot as it was super laggy. I couldnt erase the phone it would give me an error, so that may be it? Could’ve been there from the start for all I know

Ah ok, i didnt know you can do that by simply phoning in and they will send you a replacement. I imagined they would just set up an appointment with the Genius Bar and you actually have to take your phone there to be looked at before getting it replaced.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Not sure if they sell iPhones but John Lewis sell Apple products for the same price and offer a standard 2 year warranty, whereas Apple only offer a 1 year. You can usually argue a 2 year warranty under EU law, but it’s a wrangle. John Lewis are perhaps the best retailer here and have superb customer service. I always buy my iPads or MacBooks from them for this reason. In Cardiff they are next door to the Apple store too so they share stock.

Nope. I would FAR rather buy from Apple than John Lews. Have you read their (John Lewis) trustpilot reviews ?

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Did it bulge enough that you would notice it while in an Apple Leather case? I'd hate to have it happen to me and have it go unnoticed for any period of time.

The nearest Apple Store is about 2 hours away, I'm sure USPS/UPS/FEDEX wouldn't be to happy shipping a battery that might catch fire!

MacQork

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2017
Ah ok, i didnt know you can do that by simply phoning in and they will send you a replacement. I imagined they would just set up an appointment with the Genius Bar and you actually have to take your phone there to be looked at before getting it replaced.

The thing is that the genius bar was completely booked for two weeks and as the device is a week old this shouldnt happen.

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
Just finished my “how was your experience” with the engineer and the apple store survey. I gave them 2/5 stars, i wrote a long letter explaining everything what had happened. Lets see if i hear back from them

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Just finished my “how was your experience” with the engineer and the apple store survey. I gave them 2/5 stars, i wrote a long letter explaining everything what had happened. Lets see if i hear back from them

send an email to tim cook. you will hear back within minutes. telling this from my own experience!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.