Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you feel the sim tray sticking out when you run your finger across the tray area?

• yes

• no

• apple has lost all sense of quality

Results are only viewable after voting.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
haha, I think what I’m feeling is the actual hole in the sim tray, not the tray itself
[doublepost=1511140705][/doublepost]
i think it’s disappointing apple didn’t make the the tray ‘pop’ into place so you know it’s secure. right now it’s just kind of in there by friction
The rubber gasket of the 7 plus seemed to be a bit loose and obstructed the tray to be completely inserted into the phone. I had to use some tools to keep the gasket at where it should've been and then quickly pushed the tray back. It was not easy.

Reactions: Wackery

Gachiennuocmam

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2017
Hello,

Can someone here check to see if their Sim Tray sits perfectly flush with the surface of their iPhone X, or does it noticeably stick out where the pin hole is? You can check easily by running your finger over the surface of where the sim tray is.

Mine sticks out slightly slightly where the pin hole is, as if the tip was slightly bent but is perfectly flush along the rest of the sim tray surface.
This has happened since the iPhone 4. The tray isnt completely flush with metal frame.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
My X had a non-flush SIM as well, but I returned it and got another one (waiting for SIM free Qualcomm model) and this one has a completely flush SIM. So nope, OP is not lying. And to OP, it’s definitley not normal if it won’t sit flush. I’d either try and recommend trying to fix the gasket so it’ll sit flush or bringing it to Apple. Leaving it like that could allow water to get in.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You should save the -gate stuff for when more than a handful of owners report this problem.

Except "Gates" usually starts with a few people in order for a gate to actually become Noticed by others looking for the issue or Who are not aware of it, which can be discussed On a tech forum, as most research the problem on the Internet for a starting point. That's how "Coldgate" was started by one member on Macrumors and other tech forums, which eventually grew to Apple acknowledging the issue, regardless if it was software or hardware related.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-x-display-not-working-on-cold.2086455/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-x-display-not-working-on-cold.2086455/

However, not everything needs to be labeled a "Gate", even though many don't even know what the term Gate actually even refers too and they misuse it out of context.

Last edited:

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
It’s probably the rubber seal for the water resistant feature- I had something similar for my 7. Just use your nail and adjust the rubber and it should sit flush. Or you can post a pic of the issue and we can evaluate
Ha ha because of thousand dollar price tag people have become so meticulous.

Reactions: Applejuiced

VodkaPear

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
The first time i put back the sim card tray, it didnt flash too. So i pop it out, readjust and use bit more force to push it in. Done!

Reactions: Applejuiced

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Hello,

Can someone here check to see if their Sim Tray sits perfectly flush with the surface of their iPhone X, or does it noticeably stick out where the pin hole is? You can check easily by running your finger over the surface of where the sim tray is.

Mine sticks out slightly slightly where the pin hole is, as if the tip was slightly bent but is perfectly flush along the rest of the sim tray surface.

It’s the hole in the tray you’re feeling. Care to apologize to the forum members you were being snarky to?

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
So one or two people have a sim tray that sticks out (easily fixed by all accounts) and you say that Apple has a faulty sim tray. Hmmm... BTW, my sim tray snaps into place on my X.

And OP later says he was feeling the little hole in the sim tray, not the tray. But yes, intentional design and an OP eager to find some fault now equals faulty sim tray-gate :rolleyes:

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Wackery

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
And OP later says he was feeling the little hole in the sim tray, not the tray. But yes, intentional design and an OP eager to find some fault now equals faulty sim tray-gate :rolleyes:
as you can tell from my poll, over 20% of respondents have this issue. It’s science

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
as you can tell from my poll, over 20% of respondents have this issue. It’s science

LOL, no, that is not science.

Also, 16.5% in your poll reported it (which is not "over 20%"), and as seen in this thread it is easily fixable and seems to be an issue with people putting the tray back in.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
My tray was sticking out so far that I thought it was a second button. I was really confused that I didn't know about this extra button already. Once I realized it was the tray, I opened it and then pushed it back in and it sits much better. Not quite perfectly. But not at all worth swapping it out; especially since the phone is going in a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.