Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone X With or without a case

• Total voters

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’ve bought a case and a screen protector. I’m not paying that much for a phone only to get it scuffed or damaged.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Space Grey iPhone X here and I keep it naked when it’s “me time” but I slip a Spigen clear TPU case on (takes like 2 sec) if I’m going shopping and use my phone as a shopping list, or going for drinks.. it’s kinda like putting on a jacket.. you can take it off when you get home. Another thing I’ve done is set up slicone coasters all over my condo and I just place my naked phone on them so they don’t slip’n slide or get scratched from random **** on a flat surface.

My partner makes me put on my case once I’ve had too many at home and start sluring.. I have been known to wake up on the floor with my phone scattered across the kitchen floor.. so I I don’t contests

Doesn’t putting the case on and then taking it off regularly increase the chances of scratching the sides? Also, I’d assume the elasticity of the case suffers a bit with this approach.

Reactions: Geert76

JOEY5ONE4

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
Doesn’t putting the case on and then taking it off regularly increase the chances of scratching the sides? Also, I’d assume the elasticity of the case suffers a bit with this approach.

I haven't had any problems so far. I wipe everything with a microfibre cloth before... the TPU case is very thick and doesn't get bent out of shape. It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but I enjoy using it without a case sometimes :)

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I chickened out and put it into an apple leather case. It just feels small and slippery, much more so than my JB 7 Plus.

Will try again when I get used to it.

This is the first iPhone I've ever used a case for. Damn.

Kevin.Richards

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2016
I was seeing a video related to crushing Note 8 and iPhone 8. Samsung came the upper hand as iPhone 8's screen was crushed and stopped responding in fall test. I don't think iPhoneX would sustain such falls because of screen.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Several decent clear cases available for the X. I had an X until dust accumulated in the camera housing. When I went to pick it up, I took a Speck Presidio sport with me to the Apple Store. I can certainly afford to self-insure, but I'm older and don't see the appeal to showing off the communication tool I keep in my pocket. I understand people's desire to do that--after all, Apple could make the phone ugly, cheaper, and just as functional, so why not show it off.

If you go without protection, remember this universally applicable saying: "Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes".....:cool:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Bought a silicon case but reluctant to use since many have reported dust scratching the X's case. Odd since I used silicon cases for years on past iPhones without issue. Really like no case and since the X is larger it is about the same width/thickness as my 6S was with a case. Don't want the X any bigger.

However every time I pull it out on a concrete or ceramic floor I feel Murphy's law pulling on it. o_Oo_Oo_O Do have :apple:Care but......

Also despise setting it flat on a table since it won't set flat (rickety rocking). Come on Apple, I understand it is a technical challenge to flush mount the camera but you have had a few years (and billions of bucks) to prefect this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.