Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The issue is 100% recreateable.
#1 Set Screen lock time to 30 seconds
#2 let the device fall asleep by itself
#3 wait 30 seconds after it has fallen asleep

Now try to Plug in without tapping the display. And Plug In.
The device will not register that it is plugged in.

Also I Have Raise to Wake Disabled Apple May simply insist that Raise to Wake must be on that way the device wakes up with any movement.

Can confirm that my XS Max DOES NOT have this issue. I recreated what you typed, including disabling Raise To Wake, and my phone charges immediately after I plug the cable in. That's either via power brick or from my iMac USB.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
The issue is 100% recreateable.
#1 Set Screen lock time to 30 seconds
#2 let the device fall asleep by itself
#3 wait 30 seconds after it has fallen asleep

Now try to Plug in without tapping the display. And Plug In.
The device will not register that it is plugged in.

Also I Have Raise to Wake Disabled Apple May simply insist that Raise to Wake must be on that way the device wakes up with any movement.

I tried using the criteria and can’t create the charging problem.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I tried using the criteria and can’t create the charging problem.

Just Reporting back in and can confirm now.
My new FF serial number device.
Which was Replaced due to ChargeGate.
Is 30% Brighter than my FK serial number device about 70% is what Max brightness use to be and No color shift and Uniform.
Also True Tone does Not turn Everything Yellow. Charging now with my 12Watt iPad Pro brick is solid and fast no failures to charge.
Apple Rep said Apple may contact me since a pop-up she has never seen before opened up saying Apple wants to know more about my issue.

strikerdj2011

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
Yeah But for those who don’t use FaceID or a PassCode those options are Greyed out.
Another workaround is Enabling Raise to Wake. But that annoying.

those who dont use either are stupid why would you not use them in this day and age on a 1200 quid phone lol

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
those who dont use either are stupid why would you not use them in this day and age on a 1200 quid phone lol
Typing in a code is tedious and since there’s no way to Delete your FaceID once Apple has those Biometrics ID rather not.
The only PassCode that is defenseable in a court of Law is a PIN Code. Not a Finger Print or Face Scan both can be ordered to be taken by force by a Judge. A PIN Code can not.

Reactions: Farrellcollie

strikerdj2011

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2018
Typing in a code is tedious and since there’s no way to Delete your FaceID once Apple has those Biometrics ID rather not.
The only PassCode that is defenseable in a court of Law is a PIN Code. Not a Finger Print or Face Scan both can be ordered to be taken by force by a Judge. A PIN Code can not.

ok al capone defo got some thing to hide lol

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
No issue with my Max. Just waiting for someone to make a post with the subject “Bonergate”...seems like almost all other “gates” have be posted about.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Did your phone not charge right before 12.1?

I know ChargeGate will be Fixed in 12.1 I just used the Excuse to get a Replacement model on the Spot in hope of getting a Color Correct Display with a less Yellow Tone and I was successful.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I know ChargeGate will be Fixed in 12.1 I just used the Excuse to get a Replacement model on the Spot in hope of getting a Color Correct Display with a less Yellow Tone and I was successful.
Great...”Chargergate” to correct “yellowgate”

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I’m in my car for the first time with my Max still no charging issues.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Great...”Chargergate” to correct “yellowgate”
That’s exactly what I did. Worked flawlessly.

By tomorrow most likely no more exchanges since ChargeGate is such a non issue.

Genius rep even tried to tell me that ChargeGate was a feature. Not in so many words but that I had to disable USB protection.
Thankfully since it’s greyed out I showed that it was not my issue.

But clearly Apple is issuing talking points and excuses to feed Geniuses to eliminate swapping phones.

I can’t even begin to say how bad the display on my FK model XsMAX was. My new FF model has to easily be 30% brighter.

And on my FK model XsMAX True Tone would turn the display yellow. I had to leave it off to have a useable device.
Now I can have True Tone on.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Just happened to me. Wasn’t even trying to replicate it. Just plugged in my phone before bed and noticed it didn’t vibrate to indicate charging (my screen was locked). Hope this gets fixed soon.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Sigh. Turn off USB Accessories. Go to settings>face ID and Password>USB Accessories. Turn it off, reboot, problem gone.

It’s amazing to me that someone like Lew wasn’t even aware of this. Now he’s commenting on Twitter after the fact that he knew about this and it doesn’t fix the issue, but that is pure BS. He’s trying to reach “bend gate” level of hits with this and never once in the video mentioned this setting. He’s just trying to cover his tracks now.

A. If he knew about USB Accessories setting he would have mentioned it in the video.

B. Turning out off fixes the problem.

It’s a security feature Apple added and it clearly states that if the phone has sat idle for a while it will need to be unlocked before plugging in a USB accessory and may not take a charge until woke up.

off3nc3

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2014
Romania
Never had this issue on my brand new Xs Max , people really need to start learning on how to use this device. ( hint hint USB Accessories ).

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Sigh. Turn off USB Accessories. Go to settings>face ID and Password>USB Accessories. Turn it off, reboot, problem gone.

It’s amazing to me that someone like Lew wasn’t even aware of this. Now he’s commenting on Twitter after the fact that he knew about this and it doesn’t fix the issue, but that is pure BS. He’s trying to reach “bend gate” level of hits with this and never once in the video mentioned this setting. He’s just trying to cover his tracks now.

A. If he knew about USB Accessories setting he would have mentioned it in the video.

B. Turning out off fixes the problem.

It’s a security feature Apple added and it clearly states that if the phone has sat idle for a while it will need to be unlocked before plugging in a USB accessory and may not take a charge until woke up.
Official apple charger is not "USB accessory" and this is obviously bug in IOS which will be fixed in IOS 12.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.