Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nixx

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2014
I’m on XS Max number 2 (Apple support asked me to return it) and it suffers from same chargegate issues. Sigh.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
2 words.

Quality Control

With all the Field Engineers testing and the Beta testers testing things like this should be picked up
We are paying a premium price for a Quality iPhone and there is no excuse

Reactions: DJTaurus

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
2 words.

Quality Control

With all the Field Engineers testing and the Beta testers testing things like this should be picked up
We are paying a premium price for a Quality iPhone and there is no excuse

I'll raise you a $850 Note 7 exploding, $850 Pixel 2 with crap screen, and $999 Note 9 with breaking S-pen, and freezing camera and on-screen nav buttons.

Sorry, but EVERY device has its launch issues regardless of price. Name a device and Google it you will find 1 or 2 major issue with it at launch. It's impossible to test every possible scenario for everything in the relatively short amount of the time they get.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Getting a wireless charger fixes this issue..surprised everybody doesn’t have one by how to use when they go bed which is the only time your iPhone should need charging
I switched to wireless chargers bedside and on end tables.

After thinking about it, not taking advantage over the feature would be like having a sundae without whipped cream and a cherry on top.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Will add two minor anecdotes here. First, my Anker charge pad which I used on my iPhone X is not working with my XS. Second, and this only just happened once and I was not able to recreate it yet, I plugged the phone in for a charge this morning and it didn't start charging. I flipped the lightning cable around and it started charging. I flipped it back and it started charging.

Both are minor and I expect a software fix will deal with it. Until then I will just be careful to make sure the phone is charging when I think it is charging. It has plenty of battery life for my daily uses, so this isn't causing any real issue for me.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
I’m on XS Max number 2 (Apple support asked me to return it) and it suffers from same chargegate issues. Sigh.

And it will till 12.1 comes out. Stop returning them as it's a waste of time because it's a software related issue that all phones will have if on 12.0.

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I’ve actually had it happen a couple of times on my Xs now. I just make sure I wake the screen before I plug in now.

Minor issue, will be fixed in the coming October update. Top support by apple as always

Reactions: Orangeman13

nixx

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2014
And it will till 12.1 comes out. Stop returning them as it's a waste of time because it's a software related issue that all phones will have if on 12.0.
Maybe you could please educate the Apple support with your wisdom? Obviously you know something Apple doesn’t.

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I’ve got the xs max mine doesn’t do that when locked and I don’t have usb toggle on for when locked either

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I think Apple needs to do user testing with phones as well as software - I know it would potentially give away features but you'd think there would be some way. I know they let employees do some testing but it strikes me that there isn't enough hardware testing before release

Reactions: Orangeman13

mwhals

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Never had the charge problem on my XS Max until I tried charging in my wife’s car. In one 12v outlet it would not charge, but it charged from a different power port. Never had that problem on iOS 11 with the iPhone 8 Plus.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The update is out! .
693a6027fdfa03140ac1e8a87594f888.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetcat3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.