Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samuelj1988

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
Sigh. Turn off USB Accessories. Go to settings>face ID and Password>USB Accessories. Turn it off, reboot, problem gone.

It’s amazing to me that someone like Lew wasn’t even aware of this. Now he’s commenting on Twitter after the fact that he knew about this and it doesn’t fix the issue, but that is pure BS. He’s trying to reach “bend gate” level of hits with this and never once in the video mentioned this setting. He’s just trying to cover his tracks now.

A. If he knew about USB Accessories setting he would have mentioned it in the video.

B. Turning out off fixes the problem.

It’s a security feature Apple added and it clearly states that if the phone has sat idle for a while it will need to be unlocked before plugging in a USB accessory and may not take a charge until woke up.

Not true. I’ve turned on usb accessories when locked and still, my phone won’t charge when it’s asleeep.

Sigh

Reactions: rnj79

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
I’m sorry, but an officially Apple charger IS a USB accessory. It’s not a bug, which is why it’s affecting other models besides the XS.
It's not "USB accessory" that should be protected with face ID, only data transfer should be, but charging (even with laptop) should work.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
It's not "USB accessory" that should be protected with face ID, only data transfer should be, but charging (even with laptop) should work.

You're wrong. It can and will prevent the device from charging.

From Apple Support: If you don’t first unlock your password-protected iOS device—or you haven’t unlocked and connected it to a USB accessory within the past hour—your iOS device won’t communicate with the accessory or computer, and in some cases, it might not charge.

It doesn't matter if its connected to an outlet or computer. Lew only discusses this on twitter and never once mentioned it during his video, which to me is embarrassing that he didn't know this feature was on the phones. He isn't going to correct it because he gets more hits with Apple bashing as that is his MO on his channel.
[doublepost=1538481746][/doublepost]
Not true. I’ve turned on usb accessories when locked and still, my phone won’t charge when it’s asleeep.

Sigh

I don't even know what you are trying to say. Turning OFF usb accessories in settings>Face ID and password is what turns this feature off. You may need to then reboot the phone. Thanks for the attempt at being clever though.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010

From Apple Support: If you don’t first unlock your password-protected iOS device—or you haven’t unlocked and connected it to a USB accessory within the past hour—your iOS device won’t communicate with the accessory or computer, and in some cases, it might not charge.

It doesn't matter if its connected to an outlet or computer. Lew only discusses this on twitter and never once mentioned it during his video, which to me is embarrassing that he didn't know this feature was on the phones. He isn't going to correct it because he gets more hits with Apple bashing as that is his MO on his channel.

I don't even know what you are trying to say. Turning OFF usb accessories in settings>Face ID and password is what turns this feature off. You may need to then reboot the phone. Thanks for the attempt at being clever though.

Regardless of the USB Accessories choice on my phones, the problem persists. I can still do data transfer, I did a complete iTunes backup, and the phone never started charging.

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018

"...your iOS device won’t communicate with the accessory or computer, and in some cases, it might not charge."
My iPhone X charging but wont communicate with PC, there is no data transfer after one hour from face ID unlock. After update will be the same for iPhone Xs/Xs Max.

Please read this article for more info about restricted mode
https://blog.elcomsoft.com/2018/09/ios-12-enhances-usb-restricted-mode/

Reactions: Orangeman13

Samuelj1988

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017

Not trying to be clever. Turning the toggle off enables data access and I’m sorry for being confusing. However toggle on, toggle off, phone restarted etc nothing made it work consistently. 12.1 fixes completely which is a dream. Weirdly the other fix was using a fast charger, which apple support recommended - either wireless charger or a fast charger fixed the issue before the beta. Screenshot attached to explain the toggle on confusion. It seems illogical; but turning the toggle off turns data transfer on.

Attachments

• 09395A08-A182-4BC1-9F25-2C024344B81B.jpeg
    09395A08-A182-4BC1-9F25-2C024344B81B.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 221

ardsar

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
I only get this problem while using my ipad charger. Plugging into car, pc or phone charger all work correctly.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I only get this problem while using my ipad charger. Plugging into car, pc or phone charger all work correctly.

Since Apple removes the headphone jack could #ChargeGate be Apple’s attempt at Eliminating all Cables comeplety. ?
Since the issue does not happen when Wirelessly charging.
Maybe Apple does not want anyone using any cables at all.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Since Apple removes the headphone jack could #ChargeGate be Apple’s attempt at Eliminating all Cables comeplety. ?
Since the issue does not happen when Wirelessly charging.
Maybe Apple does not want anyone using any cables at all.
It's already been addressed in iOS 12.1 betas.

kapnkristian

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2018
Did your phone not charge right before 12.1?

Actually I never noticed it because I always by habit check the time before plugging in my phone to charge or use a wireless charger. But then I was curious and tested it out by leaving my phone on sleep for 30 seconds or so and tried to charge it and it wouldn't charge. Then I upgraded to the 12.1 beta and I couldn't replicate the issue again.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I’m on 12.1 Beta. No issue here. The moment I plug in it charges.

I can’t say if I had the issue before because I had a notification for availability of the 12.1 Beta shortly after getting the Max.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
It amazes me the lengths people on here have gone to in protecting apple over this

It's a disgrace that something that price even does this. If it was anyone else you'd abuse them.

But but but muh iOS 12 beta will fix dis!

So what! It's still weeks away and the average Joe has no clue how to get a beta or wants to Risk it on a stupidly priced phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dazz87 and Krayzkat

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It amazes me the lengths people on here have gone to in protecting apple over this

It's a disgrace that something that price even does this. If it was anyone else you'd abuse them.

So what! It's still weeks away and the average Joe has no clue how to get a beta or wants to Risk it on a stupidly priced phone.
Getting a wireless charger fixes this issue..surprised everybody doesn’t have one by how to use when they go bed which is the only time your iPhone should need charging

Reactions: bruinsrme

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
mine don't have any issue. worst case scenario if you're still under 2 week policy you still can just go and return it and buy it again since XS/XS Max stock is plentiful due to the "Skyrocketed" prices...

guys, it's 100$ extra for the plus sized model...
999 to 1099 for 64GB xs/xs max
1149 to 1249 for 256GB xs/xs max
etc

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I've only ever used a charging mat and can't say I'm disappointed by charge times. I prefer less stress on the phone's charging port.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018

What are you rambling about? 1) it doesnt affect nearly all people and not 100% of the time. 2) the simple remedy until the update is to tap the screen; 1/10th of a second of effort.

Return it then and buh buh buh bye then. EVERY device has launch hardware/software issues when done by humas; anything otherwise is denial. Look at the Note 9, $1000+ as well, launch issues too: s-pen breaking off, on-screen nav buttons unresponsive, camera app freezing. S9/+ had a host of launch software issues you can Google. Pixel 2 has the terrible screen colors fixed by software weeks/months later. Name a device you can find launch issues

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Getting a wireless charger fixes this issue..surprised everybody doesn’t have one by how to use when they go bed which is the only time your iPhone should need charging
Surprised people have different lives and use things in all kinds of different ways.

Pile

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2018
Croatia
So the chargegate is real, it has happened to me once but not often - but many people are experiencing this regularly.

Some people's phones are locking up, some people are saying it charges then stops further on.

This should be fixable by software on the whole, but some of the problems seem a bit more complicated.

But my thoughts are this is terrible, a bloody disgrace. I paid a premium for the ease of use, build quality and the 'just works' thing.

The manufacturing cost of this iPhone Xs and Max is low, everybody knows and they are very profitable. But if we are running into issues like this, it's just not fair on us - we pay for their big houses, cars and holidays.

As Lou said being able to charge your phone is number one, the first of the basic needs. Even as an Apple fan, I am disappointed because this isn't the first time this has happened and won't be the last. And if they haven't got teams or programs to test these devices to be ready for release, then why can you justify the trillion dollar valuation. Future phones which will probably cost £1500-2000, no doubt we will go out and buy, but we have expectations at those prices.

Is it the case that we are indeed sheep and Apple knows release it, broken or not, they will buy?
I have iphone X on ios 12.1 beta 2 and experiencing dead phone on charger....sended report to Apple I don’t know what is going on but defo weird situation as you had with first XS max...dead,black screen, no response on buttons and phone got booted without apple logo by himself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.