Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportykid2332

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Has anyone else noticed their new iPhone randomly restarting? The past few mornings when I pickup the phone, I get the FaceID alert that it needs the passcode after being restarted. This makes me think it's been restarting at least once overnight. I've also noticed this occasionally when taking it out in the middle of the day and caught it restarting once when just sitting on a table. Curious if anyone else has noticed this issue?

MilesUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
UK
Has anyone else noticed their new iPhone randomly restarting? The past few mornings when I pickup the phone, I get the FaceID alert that it needs the passcode after being restarted. This makes me think it's been restarting at least once overnight. I've also noticed this occasionally when taking it out in the middle of the day and caught it restarting once when just sitting on a table. Curious if anyone else has noticed this issue?

Yes I have been having the same problem since I got my 256GB Max on Friday, I erased everything yesterday and set it up as a new phone but still having issues with apps closing and the phone randomly rebooting. I have been speaking to Apple today and have a support call running with a "senior" engineer who has guided me through doing a full DFU with iTunes, I am currently using the phone without logging in to my apple account to see if the issues still persist.

Reactions: BoScO999

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
My X did this, it would only happen overnight as it sat on the charger, never during the day. It was very odd and I never tracked down the reason. My new XS Max hasn’t done this yet, though.

sportykid2332

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Yes I have been having the same problem since I got my 256GB Max on Friday, I erased everything yesterday and set it up as a new phone but still having issues with apps closing and the phone randomly rebooting. I have been speaking to Apple today and have a support call running with a "senior" engineer who has guided me through doing a full DFU with iTunes, I am currently using the phone without logging in to my apple account to see if the issues still persist.
Interesting, yeah it hasn't bothered me immensely yet so I haven't gone through that process. I'm considering upgrading to the 12.1 public beta since I ran the public beta on my X previously. Are you on 12 currently?

MilesUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
UK
Interesting, yeah it hasn't bothered me immensely yet so I haven't gone through that process. I'm considering upgrading to the 12.1 public beta since I ran the public beta on my X previously. Are you on 12 currently?

Yes on 12.0 currently, it seems to be behaving since the DFU and I have now signed back in to my account and installed all my apps etc....will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

I guess this is one of the downsides of buying on release day, you get to experience all of the new model bugs :D

sportykid2332

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Yes on 12.0 currently, it seems to be behaving since the DFU and I have now signed back in to my account and installed all my apps etc....will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

I guess this is one of the downsides of buying on release day, you get to experience all of the new model bugs :D
I guess so. Well yeah let us know if the issue persists. I'll let you know if the beta helps (or hurts) anything

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Yes my first Max did this. And I say first Max because I returned that one and swapped it out. I was having other issues with it as well. I was getting white bars and my camera was performing crappy. New phone hasn’t done it yet. Fingers crossed.

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2014
The PNW
Are you sure you don't need to just clean off that front camera?

MilesUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
UK
So my phone is still randomly rebooting and apps are freezing, I need to get it replaced, will I need to make a genius bar appointment or can I just take it to my nearest Apple store for a replacement?

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
So my phone is still randomly rebooting and apps are freezing, I need to get it replaced, will I need to make a genius bar appointment or can I just take it to my nearest Apple store for a replacement?
Because it’s a new device I’m sure they will exchange it out as long as they have sufficient stock. don’t think you need a genius appointment.

Good luck

Last edited:

MilesUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
UK
Because it’s a new device I’m sure they will exchange it out as long as they have sufficient stock. don’t think you need a genius appointment.

Good luck

Spot on, now at my local Apple store getting a replacement phone. First available Genius Bar appointment was for next Monday!

Reactions: FFR

sportykid2332

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Spot on, now at my local Apple store getting a replacement phone. First available Genius Bar appointment was for next Monday!
That's what Apple Chat just told me I could do as well. Only annoying part is I have to bring everything back, including the box, cables, etc.

MilesUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
UK
So the replacement phone was doing exactly the same thing, I have given up and reverted back to my 7+ which has never given me any trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.