Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
Update on my case. Got an email from Apple telling me that this wasn't covered by warranty because of third-party parts inside the phone.
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
A senior apple care rep are going to take my case abd investigate.

I completely switched phones with my wife and her known good iPhone X’s max that has never had an issue. (Even when I would use it).

We backed up our phones to iTunes. Switched sims and restored them accordingly. Now the phone that was mine is giving her zero trouble and hers that was giving her no trouble is now giving me the same problems I had before with mine ( and the 2 I had exchanged).

At this point I don’t believe it is a hardware issue at all but possibly something software.

I am going to put her phone back as hers and start mine as a brand new iPhone with the newest iOS beta and install apps only as necessary to see if that helps....

rcckks96

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Stamford,CT
I have about one restart per day. I’ve also noticed the phone gets pretty hot sometimes. Hotter than my 7 plus ever did. And it seems like it’s getting worse. If I close all the apps and force reboot it is fine for a while. Then randomly it’ll start to get hot again, under normal use.

matsgs

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
Apple service center said there was something wrong with the phone, so it wasn`t covered by warranty. They needed $60 to change a part that they ment was from a third-party service. The phone has never been opened before I shipped it to them.

9to5Slavery

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
Apple service center said there was something wrong with the phone, so it wasn`t covered by warranty. They needed $60 to change a part that they ment was from a third-party service. The phone has never been opened before I shipped it to them.

So did you pay them?

That is so unbelievable...

Mine restarted 6 times today.
And it wasn’t on idle.

I am even nervous about calling Apple support because of this nonsense.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
So did you pay them?

That is so unbelievable...

Mine restarted 6 times today.
And it wasn’t on idle.

I am even nervous about calling Apple support because of this nonsense.

I returned by 3rd XS Max and got the XR..... same damn problem!!!!!!!

So lost at this point. I am about 5 days away from throwing out iPhone completely and going with a pixel or note.....

The iOS logs are a complete waste of time, don’t seem to mean much.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
There have been at least 10 times when I woke up in the morning with Face ID totally unresponsive. Only way to unlock it is to enter my passcode. No idea why but I have read about these random reboots. Only thing that makes sense - that my phone sometimes reboots overnight I guess? I never noticed a reboot during the day however.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I suspect this issue is hardware related, not software. I say this because I had the exact same issue as the OP on my iPhone 7, it used to happen almost daily and I chalked it up to some software issue or a rogue app.

My new iPhone (XR) is going on 10 days now, it was restored using a backup from my iPhone 7, so all the data, apps, etc.… carried over and it hasn’t done it once.

drdzino

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2019
Yes I have been having the same problem since I got my 256GB Max on Friday, I erased everything yesterday and set it up as a new phone but still having issues with apps closing and the phone randomly rebooting. I have been speaking to Apple today and have a support call running with a "senior" engineer who has guided me through doing a full DFU with iTunes, I am currently using the phone without logging in to my apple account to see if the issues still persist.
Yes I have the same issue on my XS max 256gig, it has been randomly restarting on its own since I activated it.

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
I have several issues with my XS Max - for once I cant go to my picture folder and mark a picture and send as SMS. Apple support says its a known bug. All my other phones with same IOS works fine (i also have iphone 8 at work, and tried my wife 7 and my kids 5 also work fine). So only XS Max seems to have this issue. Second, AirDrop doesnt work for some phones, where as they can see the XS Max, the XS Max fails to see certain phones.

I dont believe a second its a software issue, as there has been several updates since i got it and none of it worked from day 1.

I love the screen size and the speed, but its without doubt the phone with the biggest amount of issues i had to date (had iphone 4, 5, 6, 6plus, 7 and 8 and now the max).

Something is wrong with this device, and its a horrible feeling, and its annoying.

loobylou70

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2019
UK
I returned by 3rd XS Max and got the XR..... same damn problem!!!!!!!

So lost at this point. I am about 5 days away from throwing out iPhone completely and going with a pixel or note.....

The iOS logs are a complete waste of time, don’t seem to mean much.

Can I ask if you got this resolved? I'm on my 3rd XR and booked in for yet another trip to the Apple store to get it replaced again. I've restored from iCloud on one, then set up as a new phone on another and still get the same problem. I seem to get 2-3 weeks without an issue then it starts over again with the reboots and the panic full messages is the analytics.
There has to be something going on here that's being missed????

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
Can I ask if you got this resolved? I'm on my 3rd XR and booked in for yet another trip to the Apple store to get it replaced again. I've restored from iCloud on one, then set up as a new phone on another and still get the same problem. I seem to get 2-3 weeks without an issue then it starts over again with the reboots and the panic full messages is the analytics.
There has to be something going on here that's being missed????

I am now on a Note 9.... so nope. I just gave up and I haven't had a single issue with the Note 9. I just miss iMessage.

Rawdoodles

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2020
I have this issue on the XS. A couple of times the restart happened while charging, and once while in my pocket. I also looked at the analytics logs and I found two instances of panic events: a panic-base and a panic-full. Looking at the logs, I can't tell what caused the crash, but interestingly enough every time I had to re-enable my Gmail account and sign back into it. All other apps loaded fine, without needing to log back in. I now uninstalled Gmail as a test to see what happens.

LE: went to the local Apple authorised premium reseller in town and got my phone swapped out with a new one. Tech guys said it's not a software induced issue, and they're fairly confident it's the hardware failing periodically, so I think we may have stumbled upon a new Apple gate. I am calling it: #sleepgate.

I'm so glad I came across your post. My iPhone 11 just yesterday started restarting on it's own every few minutes when using (not when idle) and it's just got worse. Now the sound has gone, won't play music, videos or sounds, Volume buttons don't work, face ID and passcode don't come up so anyone can unlock my phone it feels like my phone is shutting down. This has happened completely out of the blue, hasn't been dropped or damaged. My analytics is absolutely full of the panic full error. The phone is only 3 months old I have an appointment at Apple Store Tomorrow so hopefully they will give me a new one as mine is unusable now. I just don't want them to try and blame me for it to get out of giving me a new one. What's everyone's advice? Should I Demand a new one? Should I show them the analytics? Iv read other forums that say as soon as they see the panic full error they exchanged for a new one without doing anything further. Is this the case? Sorry for all the questions iv never had a problem with any of my previous iPhones so this is all new to me.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I had a similar issue on my XS Max in the first few weeks with it, it made no sense to me, but for some reason it eventually went away. When it happened the phone would freeze , heat up and reboot, it was super odd.

I'm so glad I came across your post. My iPhone 11 just yesterday started restarting on it's own every few minutes when using (not when idle) and it's just got worse. Now the sound has gone, won't play music, videos or sounds, Volume buttons don't work, face ID and passcode don't come up so anyone can unlock my phone it feels like my phone is shutting down. This has happened completely out of the blue, hasn't been dropped or damaged. My analytics is absolutely full of the panic full error. The phone is only 3 months old I have an appointment at Apple Store Tomorrow so hopefully they will give me a new one as mine is unusable now. I just don't want them to try and blame me for it to get out of giving me a new one. What's everyone's advice? Should I Demand a new one? Should I show them the analytics? Iv read other forums that say as soon as they see the panic full error they exchanged for a new one without doing anything further. Is this the case? Sorry for all the questions iv never had a problem with any of my previous iPhones so this is all new to me.

Show them the Analytics, that is the first thing I would do while explaining to them the issues experienced.

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017

Definitely show them the analytics. Any tangible proof is a step towards making a solid case. They exchanged the phone within 3h for me. They said it was obvious from the logs that it wasn't my fault. Ask for a new replacement.

Rawdoodles

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2020
Definitely show them the analytics. Any tangible proof is a step towards making a solid case. They exchanged the phone within 3h for me. They said it was obvious from the logs that it wasn't my fault. Ask for a new replacement.

Thanks for getting back to me. I will show them. What were they doing in that 3 hours? Why make you wait after seeing the error report on the analytics? I have looked through the analytics and it starts at the time it first went off.

Thank you for your advice. I went in today, the phone wouldn’t even stay on long enough to do a diagnostic test so he just gave me a brand new one instead, he said he knew it was a hardware issue so it could not be fixed and he had never seen so many of the panic errors. So I spent the evening setting up my new phone as my old one again wouldn’t stay on long enough to back up.

PeterRollback

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
Arizona
Go to Settings, Privacy, Analytics Data and scroll down to the P section. Do you see any panic-full logs? if so, that could signify potential hardware board problems.

Rawdoodles

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2020
Go to Settings, Privacy, Analytics Data and scroll down to the P section. Do you see any panic-full logs? if so, that could signify potential hardware board problems.

Yes there are lots of panic full logs the Apple tech said he had never seen so many. Iv got a brand new phone now under the warranty as it couldn't be fixed.

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
Thanks for getting back to me. I will show them. What were they doing in that 3 hours? Why make you wait after seeing the error report on the analytics? I have looked through the analytics and it starts at the time it first went off.

Thank you for your advice. I went in today, the phone wouldn’t even stay on long enough to do a diagnostic test so he just gave me a brand new one instead, he said he knew it was a hardware issue so it could not be fixed and he had never seen so many of the panic errors. So I spent the evening setting up my new phone as my old one again wouldn’t stay on long enough to back up.

We don't have an actual Apple Store in Dublin, so we need to go to the Authorised Premium Reseller. In their case, I left the phone with one of the guys in the shop who took notes about the diagnostics I made and sent it up to the repair guys upstairs. Given that my own research into the matter was quite exhaustive, all they did was verify my claims themselves and against the Apple database. I got an email 3h later telling me I can pick up a brand new replacement. I also took the opportunity to upgrade to the 256GB variant (I paid the difference of course).

Reactions: Tsepz

MYZ

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
Reviving this old thread to say that my iphone SE 2 has started doing this in the past few months. I bought the 128GB version new on release date back in 2020 so it's out of warranty now.
I don't think it has ever restarted while using it, but it has a few times in my pocket and many times overnight.
Definitely a hardware problem as I don't remember this happening in the first few months of ownership.

Has anyone ever received an explanation from an Apple Engineer regarding this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.