Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MilesUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
UK
I think it’s more likely to be a software problem so will give Apple a few months to sort the bugs and then try again.

sportykid2332

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/xs-max-crashing-issue.2143106/#post-26575276

I detailed a similar problem I am having in this thread... Does it sound familiar to you? Super annoying issue to be having right out of the box.

So my first phone's issue was slightly different. I never had any apps crash and the phone never rebooted while I was using it. Instead, I'd often notice it restarting while sitting idle on my desk and every morning I would notice that the phone had restarted, (i.e. when swiping up, the message said "Your passcode is required when iPhone restarts")...side note: the genius bar guy initially told me that message doesn't always mean the phone has restarted o_O

arcturuz

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
same issues here with random reboots

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-apple-logo-on-screen-when-waking-up.2143136/

did an online chat with an apple tech last nite, he did an online diagnostic test and said my phone passed all hardware tests.
[doublepost=1538039301][/doublepost]
So my first phone's issue was slightly different. I never had any apps crash and the phone never rebooted while I was using it. Instead, I'd often notice it restarting while sitting idle on my desk and every morning I would notice that the phone had restarted, (i.e. when swiping up, the message said "Your passcode is required when iPhone restarts")...side note: the genius bar guy initially told me that message doesn't always mean the phone has restarted o_O

yes yes exact same issue my iphone xs max 256 gold is experiencing

restart when idle and same message "your passcode is required when iPhone restarts" when trying to use Face ID

sportykid2332

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
same issues here with random reboots

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-apple-logo-on-screen-when-waking-up.2143136/

did an online chat with an apple tech last nite, he did an online diagnostic test and said my phone passed all hardware tests.
[doublepost=1538039301][/doublepost]

yes yes exact same issue my iphone xs max 256 gold is experiencing

restart when idle and same message "your passcode is required when iPhone restarts" when trying to use Face ID
Yeah I would suggest just getting it exchanged..doesn't seem like support wants to deal with this issue. My new phone has been fine

Reactions: 2979382

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
I have this issue on the XS. A couple of times the restart happened while charging, and once while in my pocket. I also looked at the analytics logs and I found two instances of panic events: a panic-base and a panic-full. Looking at the logs, I can't tell what caused the crash, but interestingly enough every time I had to re-enable my Gmail account and sign back into it. All other apps loaded fine, without needing to log back in. I now uninstalled Gmail as a test to see what happens.

LE: went to the local Apple authorised premium reseller in town and got my phone swapped out with a new one. Tech guys said it's not a software induced issue, and they're fairly confident it's the hardware failing periodically, so I think we may have stumbled upon a new Apple gate. I am calling it: #sleepgate.

Last edited:
Reactions: shoulin333

arcturuz

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
I have this issue on the XS. A couple of times the restart happened while charging, and once while in my pocket. I also looked at the analytics logs and I found two instances of panic events: a panic-base and a panic-full. Looking at the logs, I can't tell what caused the crash, but interestingly enough every time I had to re-enable my Gmail account and sign back into it. All other apps loaded fine, without needing to log back in. I now uninstalled Gmail as a test to see what happens.

LE: went to the local Apple authorised premium reseller in town and got my phone swapped out with a new one. Tech guys said it's not a software induced issue, and they're fairly confident it's the hardware failing periodically, so I think we may have stumbled upon a new Apple gate. I am calling it: #sleepgate.

got mine replaced at apple store today too

after running diagnostics, the genius guy say he'd swap a new one for me although he didn't confirm if there is any hardware failure.

i think the analytics log with full of panic-full events was an obvious sign

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
got mine replaced at apple store today too

after running diagnostics, the genius guy say he'd swap a new one for me although he didn't confirm if there is any hardware failure.

i think the analytics log with full of panic-full events was an obvious sign

Good man! I hope your second phone will behave as expected.
I posted an article now about the issue: https://medium.com/@attilavago/are-you-affected-by-apple-iphone-xs-sleepgate-2d1897495e39 Looks like we're gonna have a #sleepgate alright.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Last edited:

arcturuz

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
There is no "gate," nor will there be a "gate" from this. It is s software bug that has already been fixed in the next release (with iOS 12.1).

how could it be a software bug if the new swapped phones do not have this issue under iOS 12.0?
[doublepost=1538268509][/doublepost]
I haven't witnessed any restarts, but have been prompted to enter passcode to enable face id. I'm on 12.1 beta.

does it say passcode is needed when phone restarts?

if yes, you could be facing the same problem, check your analytics for panic events.

Reactions: 2979382

arcturuz

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
Not all new phones are affected with the charging problem. Some bugs in code affect all devices all the time, while others are intermittent.

we are not talking about the charging problem here

it is with random restarts/reboot when the phone is idle

John webstar44

Suspended
May 9, 2018
Wow so much restart on this new XS/MAX my iPhone X
still on 11.2.1 been on 24/7 not even a restart for almost 280 days now.

Beaglexxl

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
Has anyone else noticed their new iPhone randomly restarting? The past few mornings when I pickup the phone, I get the FaceID alert that it needs the passcode after being restarted. This makes me think it's been restarting at least once overnight. I've also noticed this occasionally when taking it out in the middle of the day and caught it restarting once when just sitting on a table. Curious if anyone else has noticed this issue?

Yes mine just did this today. I usually won’t buy the newest model but I did this time mine is the 512gb model :( apparently apple still doesn’t fix all their bugs. I’m guessing it’s a software glitch though....this happened back on the iPhone 5s days....I’m sure the 12.0.1 when ever they release it will fix it...but damn still annoying

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
There is no "gate," nor will there be a "gate" from this. It is s software bug that has already been fixed in the next release (with iOS 12.1).

Two separate issues, mate. Pay attention to the topic. This has now been proven to be a hardware defect, as many people like me have received a new replacement that does not exhibit this issue.
[doublepost=1538518187][/doublepost]
Yes mine just did this today. I usually won’t buy the newest model but I did this time mine is the 512gb model :( apparently apple still doesn’t fix all their bugs. I’m guessing it’s a software glitch though....this happened back on the iPhone 5s days....I’m sure the 12.0.1 when ever they release it will fix it...but damn still annoying

Kind of hard to think it's "just a software bug". As a software developer my experience shows kernel panics are often caused by hardware failing. Sure, sometimes you can apply a patch that utilises the hardware differently to avoid the panic happening, but given the fact that I've gotten a replacement that doesn't have this issue, I'd much rather have the one with immaculate hardware condition.
[doublepost=1538518611][/doublepost]
Wow so much restart on this new XS/MAX my iPhone X
still on 11.2.1 been on 24/7 not even a restart for almost 280 days now.

Has nothing to do with the version of iOS. iOS 12 worked splendidly on my 6S and works just as well on the newly replaced XS. The charge issue, well, that's another story and I suspected that would be an easy software fix.

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
Has anyone else noticed their new iPhone randomly restarting? The past few mornings when I pickup the phone, I get the FaceID alert that it needs the passcode after being restarted. This makes me think it's been restarting at least once overnight. I've also noticed this occasionally when taking it out in the middle of the day and caught it restarting once when just sitting on a table. Curious if anyone else has noticed this issue?
Mine just restarted while browsing Instagram this morning, while searching if others had this issue i found your post.. strange

s7ephene

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2018
Mine Max seems to randomly reboot at least twice a day. Typically when using an app. Not just one app but various

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
I am on replacement phone #3 (iPhone XS max 256 silver... had 2 space grey before) and it is still doing it. Anyone else still having this issue?

Thinking of trying beta 5 but if that doesn’t work I think I’ll be returning for an 8 plus. The crazy thing is that my wife’s (iPhone XS max 256 gold) has zero problems.

matsgs

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
I had the same issue. It started with the phone asking for passcode now and then. Then it escalated. It was restarting every 5 minutes or so in the end. The Apple represent I talked to said he got an error with the barometer, he didn't know much about the errors but thought it was something with the battery. Now it's shipped off to Apple, and I will hopefully get a new one soon.

Nanivegeta24

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2018
Noneya

A few times my max has asked me to enter my passcode when i never turned it off.

matsgs

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
Update on my case. Got an email from Apple telling me that this wasn't covered by warranty because of third-party parts inside the phone.
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
A senior apple care rep are going to take my case abd investigate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.