Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
The issue really is how do you carry your phone? Purse? Okay. But if you carry your phone in pant pockets, no way the current generation of phones is comfortable. Even the "small" base iPhone is thicker than ever. Too thick. Put a case on it: even thicker.

If phones were the size of--and a replacement for--wallets, that would be one thing. But they're not, despite the Apple Pay thinking that the only thing that goes in wallets is a card or two. Nonsense. In Europe it's even worse: Europeans typically travel with a wallet full of coins, cards, bills, etc. That's one pocket, taken up fully by a wallet stuffed to the brim. No room in that pocket for anything else.

So what we have in our pockets these days is wallet, keys, airpods, and phone, maybe coins (if in America), and more, and that's just too much. The size and thickness of these phones make it way, way too much.

What Apple needs to do is start selling iPhone clothes.

People who like the Apple Watch often boast of their ability to leave the damn phone behind for a bit. That should tell you all you need. The iPhones have become a burden, and that's because they're too big, too heavy, too thick.
Man, I have a 15 Plus in a case and I put it in my front pocket no problem?

MagicBird

Suspended
Dec 28, 2023
Picked up the 8 Plus after using the 15 series for a while, and it hit me: the older phones are so much easier to hold and carry because they’re thinner.

Current phones are too thick.
1709232574418.png

MercuryNL

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2022
I also agree with OP. The difference in thickness between let's say an Iphone 15 pro Max and an iphone 14 Plus is noticable. The 14 Plus feels much nicer in hand than the 15 Pro Max because the 14 Plus is slimmer. On paper the difference is not that big, but for me the increase in thickness with the 15 pro phones is just a bit too much.

Reactions: janeauburn

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
It is not simply "if you try hard enough," it is about cost to engineer, produce and distribute tens of millions of some very latest high-tech thing every year.
trying to cover cost to engineer, produce and distribute tens of millions of some very latest high-tech things every year IS "trying hard" - and it's not simple. I never claimed that.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm using a 2022 iPhone SE and it could use better heat dissipation and battery life, though the battery life is okay. Compared to similarly priced Android phones, it's much better at being powerful vs a weak phone with an OLED display.

All iPhones could use better heat dissipation, so thinner is not better. However, it's good to have a phone that's easy to handle.

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
I cant tell if you are being serious or not. For any given battery technology there is only so much you can do, mass equals capacity. you want more capacity, you get more mass. period. Are you suggesting Apple can come up with a higher charge density battery? That's quite a tall order given how many other people are working on the same with relatively slow progress. Instead, Apple has been focusing on making components that use less power... but even there you can only go so far so fast. The only remaining alternative is to make a phone thinner, you need to make it wider or taller or both. Volume is fixed. Pick a ratio. I wouldn't want to see my phone get wider.
I am serious in the way that I wish there were thinner top of the line iPhones, while being aware of physical limitations, but also believing that IF somebody is capable of overcoming these limitations, a little bit at least, it's going to be tech giants like Apple.

As I tried to express in several posts in this thread ..... apparently not eloquent enough.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
IDK why, but my iPhone 15 feels slightly thicker than my old Galaxy A53 even with the case on. lol

Apollo68

Suspended
Dec 17, 2023
The issue really is how do you carry your phone? Purse? Okay. But if you carry your phone in pant pockets, no way the current generation of phones is comfortable. Even the "small" base iPhone is thicker than ever. Too thick. Put a case on it: even thicker.

If phones were the size of--and a replacement for--wallets, that would be one thing. But they're not, despite the Apple Pay thinking that the only thing that goes in wallets is a card or two. Nonsense. In Europe it's even worse: Europeans typically travel with a wallet full of coins, cards, bills, etc. That's one pocket, taken up fully by a wallet stuffed to the brim. No room in that pocket for anything else.

So what we have in our pockets these days is wallet, keys, airpods, and phone, maybe coins (if in America), and more, and that's just too much. The size and thickness of these phones make it way, way too much.

People who like the Apple Watch often boast of their ability to leave the damn phone behind for a bit. That should tell you all you need. The iPhones have become a burden, and that's because they're too big, too heavy, too thick.
I carry an iPhone 15 pro max in my pants pockets daily, along with my wallet, keys and a gun tucked in my waistband. would have to say that my phone is not uncomfortable to carry. point being is I have a pretty substantial EDC and comfort is not a complaint.

nmart1214

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017

My slim wallet goes on the back of my phone, making it feel like a full sized wallet in left my pocket. My keys have a cheap carabiner and clip to my belt loop. AirPods and small coin pouch go in my right pocket. Nothing feels off and everything is just fine.

Apollo68

Suspended
Dec 17, 2023
I for one am happy that they have started making iphones thicker. Now we just need to get the headphone jack back as well. removing that was ass.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Why is it that when you say the emperor has no clothes everyone gasps? Isn’t it obvious that today’s phones are laughably large?

When sanity returns, everyone will look back and say, “I can’t believe we lugged those heavy bricks around all day.”

Reactions: geta

Apollo68

Suspended
Dec 17, 2023
Why is it that when you say the emperor has no clothes everyone gasps? Isn’t it obvious that today’s phones are laughably large?

When sanity returns, everyone will look back and say, “I can’t believe we lugged those heavy bricks around all day.”
No, because they aren’t that big. People wanted phones to replace small tablets, but also to have phones that do not have laughably bad battery life.

• Haha
Reactions: geta

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021

It's all relative.
My first "smartphone" was/is a 13 Pro.
I don't have any experience with older or smaller phones, consequently, I don't have any means of comparison.
The 13 Pro feels just fine to me.

Reactions: Apollo68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.