Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Why is it that when you say the emperor has no clothes everyone gasps? Isn’t it obvious that today’s phones are laughably large?

When sanity returns, everyone will look back and say, “I can’t believe we lugged those heavy bricks around all day.”

people are addicted to instant information gratification. you can't get that from a flip phone. Phones will not get any smaller until they are replaced with something better. sorry.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Picked up the 8 Plus after using the 15 series for a while, and it hit me: the older phones are so much easier to hold and carry because they’re thinner.

Current phones are too thick.
Another controversial statement from the poster.

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
we have finally found the menace who had Apple needlessly making devices thinner and batteries smaller.
I mean, what are you on about? iPhones have been getting progressively thicker for many years now.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Next camera bump will be binoculars but at least you get good photos of your receipts and selfies. 2 hours keynote 1:58 will be about camera. Everyone who buys iPhone are professional filmmakers so those few people who just need light and thin phone for normal use will be forced to buy Android.

• Sad
Reactions: geta

GUNSTAR1

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2024
Seattle, WA
I guess im in the group that wants the thickness flush with the cameras and use the extra space for battery and a better cooling module for gaming.

Lakris

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
I don't think the phones are too thick, but I haven't given it much though before just now.
The issue really is how do you carry your phone? Purse? Okay. But if you carry your phone in pant pockets, no way the current generation of phones is comfortable. Even the "small" base iPhone is thicker than ever. Too thick. Put a case on it: even thicker.

If phones were the size of--and a replacement for--wallets, that would be one thing. But they're not, despite the Apple Pay thinking that the only thing that goes in wallets is a card or two. Nonsense. In Europe it's even worse: Europeans typically travel with a wallet full of coins, cards, bills, etc. That's one pocket, taken up fully by a wallet stuffed to the brim. No room in that pocket for anything else.

So what we have in our pockets these days is wallet, keys, airpods, and phone, maybe coins (if in America), and more, and that's just too much. The size and thickness of these phones make it way, way too much.

What Apple needs to do is start selling iPhone clothes.

People who like the Apple Watch often boast of their ability to leave the damn phone behind for a bit. That should tell you all you need. The iPhones have become a burden, and that's because they're too big, too heavy, too thick.
Where in Europe? Here in Norway people usually don't use a lot of coins or bills, and many of us don't even use a wallet because all we need is a credit card and driving license (there's an app for most things you pay for like bus tickets, membership cards+++) Most people put their phone in the back pocket of their jeans or their jacket.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Why is it that when you say the emperor has no clothes everyone gasps? Isn’t it obvious that today’s phones are laughably large?

When sanity returns, everyone will look back and say, “I can’t believe we lugged those heavy bricks around all day.”
Or people have different preferences and some of us don't have the same issues that you do with the thickness of our phones? Crazy concept, I know.

Charlesrfinal

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2021
my 15PM is longer and thicker than what I've had previously; and I'm ok with that.

Not to be a size queen but another 2mm might get me more battery.

Stevenyo

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2020
I‘ll die on the hill that any phone with a camera bump is too thin. The thing needs to be able to rest on a flat surface. I barely use my iphone cameras anyway, making my whole device so ugly and ungainly is not worth it to me. But also, there are so many better designs an elementary school kid could come up with than a haphazard, off center, unstable camera bump, so maybe it’s not inherently too thin, just designed with no care or thought

Reactions: boss.king

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I don't think the phones are too thick, but I haven't given it much though before just now.

Where in Europe? Here in Norway people usually don't use a lot of coins or bills, and many of us don't even use a wallet because all we need is a credit card and driving license (there's an app for most things you pay for like bus tickets, membership cards+++) Most people put their phone in the back pocket of their jeans or their jacket.

For some reason you made me think of this Onion article:

😁😁😁

TheWraith

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2024
I'd like it to be thinner, sure. I don't know if it's my top priority, but i know I like my 15 PM more than my 14 PM in large part because it got lighter with the titanium. Size and weight matter.

The people who want the phones to be as thick as the camera bump are...well, I'll just assume they haven't done the math on how volume works. The phones would be MUCH heavier.

If that's your thing, permanently attach a battery pack and live your best life now!

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
well, the 8+ is 0.3 and the 15 Pro (which would be the correct equivalent) is 0.33. In millimeters this is a 0.8 difference which is significant for a phone.
No, this is not the correct equivalent. The 15 is superior — by far — in every way. Forcing a comparison to the 15 Pro is disingenuous.

• Sad
Reactions: subjonas

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
No, this is not the correct equivalent. The 15 is superior — by far — in every way. Forcing a comparison to the 15 Pro is disingenuous.
Are you serious?
Of course the 15 is superior, it's 6 years younger than the 8.
But at times of the 8 series, there was no distinction between a pro and a non pro model. So the 8/8+ were the top of the line models at this time. Now it's the 15 Pro - so this is the only reasonable basis to compare.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
They should make iPhone with similar shape and thickness as the SE1, but with 5.4-5.8 screen size, touch ID in the on/off button (like iPad Mini 6) and without the camera bump.

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
One reason the current phones have a camera bump is because they are too thick. (Another reason is that Tim Cook has no taste.)
Isn't it just the other way round? They are too thick because of the camera bumps?
Or, did you want to say the bump exists because phones are too thin?
Just trying to understand your statement.

On Tim Apple's taste: I tend to agree. Jobs would have never ever allowed these humongous, ugly, big, protruding, making phones wobble camera bumps to go into production. I mean, he was that kind of guy who wanted computers to be designed beautifully, even INSIDE, where no normal user would ever look into......

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
The phones can’t be thicker. They got rid of the headphone jack so they could make them thinner….remember 🤔….so none of them now are thick enough for a headphone jack…..

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
They aren’t thick enough!!

The thinner they are, the easier they break / bend. You wouldn’t like my 15 pro max as I sometimes use the OtterBox Defender case on it. Using that case, the iPhone is thicker and wider, just like I like them to be. Not sure why consumers are wanting thinner devices these days, it’s not a good idea. The phones and tablets become more fragile and delicate to use. If they are made thinner, most people will use a case anyway and the device is thicker again. If you get a thinner iPhone, then you better get AppleCare because you’re going to break it. Also be prepared to carry a thicker and heavier battery bank with you so you can charge the iPhone more often because a thinner device will have a low battery capacity.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Are you serious?
Of course the 15 is superior, it's 6 years younger than the 8.
But at times of the 8 series, there was no distinction between a pro and a non pro model. So the 8/8+ were the top of the line models at this time. Now it's the 15 Pro - so this is the only reasonable basis to compare.
I’m quite serious. OP compared the two phones in regard to his feelings right now.

Regardless, you are attempting to sandbag the comparison. The 8 had a 4.7” screen vershs a 5.5” screen for the 8 Plus. The 15 already eclipses both with a 6.1” screen, and the 6.7” on the Plus is icing on the cake.

Further, battery life on the 8 was 13 hours for video playback whereas it is 20 hours on the 16. Big difference.

To quote the old phrase: “lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Picked up the 8 Plus after using the 15 series for a while, and it hit me: the older phones are so much easier to hold and carry because they’re thinner.

Current phones are too thick.
My exact same sentiment. Went back to using my 8+ for a short period of time while my 13 pro max was getting a battery replacement in the Apple Store and it struck me how much I missed the thinner form factor and the curved edges which made it so pleasant to hold in the hand without needing a case.

Granted, I know the current batch of iPhones are thicker to accommodate a bigger battery and I love not having to worry about running out of juice before the day is over, but man, I use Apple products precisely because I am willing to give up a bit of utility in exchange for a nicer "feel" of the device.

Reactions: janeauburn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.