Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
It would be really really great if this comes true. The Music Store for Europe is really coming late.
And it would mean I'd have to change my sig twice in a year...now...let's go for all three and make Sherlock useful outside the US;)

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Re: Pure tracks

Originally posted by noxes
What about iTMS Afganistan or Iraq, they deserve it...
They don't need one. They are already part of the US.
Soon enough we'll be watching the Denver Broncos against the Mesopotamian Dragons in the Baghdad Superdome... :)

Oh well...

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Re: UK iTunes :eek:

Originally posted by JDOG_
I hope the pricepoint for music is £.50/song or something to match American prices...with the Exchange rate near $2:£1 having music priced near a £1 would be brutal. All I know is that I've seen more iPods here in London than L.A. or New York, even in SE (which is considered kind of the dodgy side).
I think we are gonna get something like 79p/89p a song. Considering that CD prices (play.com notwithstanding) roughly follow the $1 is £1, I think you are dreaming when you ask for 50p a song. I think the expression I'm looking for is 'rip-off Britain'...

Winston Smith

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2003
Oceania
A lot of generally negative comment for a thread thats rated positively......

Personally I've chosen not to buy an iPod until iTMS is available where I live and I think the price is appropriatly inline with the exchange rate at the time.

Stoffel

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Germany
Cannot wait to buy my first songs in the german iTunes store. At this time we can browse the available music in the store with iTunes but get a sad message if we want to buy it....

doogle

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Australia
Re: Re: Pure tracks

Originally posted by NicoMan
They don't need one. They are already part of the US.
Soon enough we'll be watching the Denver Broncos against the Mesopotamian Dragons in the Baghdad Superdome... :)

Oh well...

Is the Macintosh user generally more aligned to the left (I am talking politics here)? I notice across the Mac boards a real lack of right wing flames when people post things like the above....not that I disagree I feel comfortable knowing that I there are like-minded (Apple) people out there.
Is Macrumors the place for lefties or is it Think Secret - or is Spymac the home of new conservatives.
Just a thought.

fearless

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Auckland, NZ
Re: Re: Re: Pure tracks

Originally posted by doogle
Is the Macintosh user generally more aligned to the left (I am talking politics here)? I notice across the Mac boards a real lack of right wing flames when people post things like the above....not that I disagree I feel comfortable knowing that I there are like-minded (Apple) people out there.
Is Macrumors the place for lefties or is it Think Secret - or is Spymac the home of new conservatives.
Just a thought.

Dunno, but only America's biggest jingo would take offence at NicoMan's irony... compared to some of my postings at Apple, it's mild...

Left and right really depend on where you are... Australia's Labor Party (left) are as militaristic as the Liberals (right)... in NZ even the most diehard conservative will admit that the evidence for WMD was, at best, flimsy...

edStar

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I think the Japanese ITMS is coming soon in the spring, I think I heard someone in Apple announce that.

I recall reading an article stating that staff at the Ginza store notifying costumers of its introdution "sometime in fall". So there must be some clout behind that.

Also I think Australia is missing out on the iPhoto Book Publishing, which is a real shame. Digital Photo Printing is starting to take off, why not floor the competition with not only iPhoto 4 but with these splendid books??

Also some upstarts have begun a small, yet pathetic music service in Australia already. Apple and Co. seize the opportunity to have #1 market share in Australia!!! You have little to NO competition down here, you'd be a shoe in. And once you establish yourself, it be hard for those clone services in America to translate as well as iTunes Music Store did.

COME ON!!! There is MONEY to be had out of Australia! Don't forget about us, just because we are small and insignificant!!!!

(I must apologise for the excessive use of exclamation marks, those responsible for the exclamation marks have now been sacked. Thank you.)

doogle

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Australia
absolutely his post was not aggressive in any way - it got me thinking, is all...where are all the rightwing loons?

back to topic...

they will never get an iphoto printer in Australia. iTMS, maybe one day...the market here is too damn small!

The problem holding us all back is regulation and national laws...get rid of 'em! If we had an International Internet Content Law then maybe things like gloabl iTMS would be easier.

But then the US wouldn't sign any International Law;)

applefans

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
HKSAR
Originally posted by pkradd
I seriously doubt there will be an "iTunes Music Store - Europe". There will be, however, iTMS France, iTMS England, iTMS Italy, iTMS Germany, etc. Each version will have their own site. Remember, there are many different languages, artists and label affiliations in each country. It's much more complicated then people are willing or able to understand. Most of the delay in developing these other iTMS locations has to do with the artists and not "the old corpulent farts in the record business." Stupid comments by pimple-faced post puberty teenagers not withstanding!:p

Isn't that internet is cross border and international? Why can't we people living outside the border of US use the iTMS located inside USA? Downloading songs from it should like a breeze. Of course, there are issue of local interests, just like amazon, we don't necessarily go to amazon uk to purchase if we live in the uk, we can go directly to amazon usa if we want to. Isn't that right?

ssamani

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
UK
Originally posted by kettle
The sooner we get the EU to be called the United States of Europe and we leave the term Europe for Geographical descriptions the better. Canada is in America but Canada is not in the USA.

Alternatively we could just refer to it as the EU to avoid confusion with Europe. ;) No need to raise the hackles of the UK Tory party by calling it the USE.:eek:

kettle

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by ssamani
No need to raise the hackles of the UK Tory party by calling it the USE.:eek:
the EU was based on trading and standards agreement. It is quite obviously something different than that and I think deserves a name to identify it as such.

As far as your point on "left right" politics go, this situation has very little to do with the party political traditions of this country.
I have more respect for Tony Benn than Tony Blair. Tony Benn has the interests of Great Britain at heart. Tony Blair is more interested in his chances of Presidency of th U.S.E.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Originally posted by pkradd
I seriously doubt there will be an "iTunes Music Store - Europe". There will be, however, iTMS France, iTMS England, iTMS Italy, iTMS Germany, etc. Each version will have their own site. Remember, there are many different languages, artists and label affiliations in each country. It's much more complicated then people are willing or able to understand...

That doesnt stop them opening iTMS UK!!! Oh, sorry - curency conversion to much for apple? :mad: :p

Hob

(I Love Apple, Really)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
there will probably never be such a thing as the united states of europe. or at least it would require an imminent and serious military threat from outside to make it happen; lately they were arranging a mutual protection pact between all EU countries, but it failed because they feared some countries would misuse such a pact.

no, it will not happen by economical or political reasons. the only thing that could make it happen would be a third world war.

so...

if apple can make it happen (same rules and prices for everyone), that's really something.

pingin

macrumors member
May 9, 2003
Originally posted by CrackedButter
Am I the only one who is no longer excited about an iTunes music store?

No.
Give me the CD anyday and I'll rip it myself. And you can always buy and sell a CD 2nd hand anyway as the mood suits you.
The best thing about the iTunes store is the samples - combined with allmusic.com it's a great way of discovering new music.

I'd like to the see the iPhoto store though...

pingin

macrumors member
May 9, 2003
Originally posted by CrackedButter
Am I the only one who is no longer excited about an iTunes music store?

No.
Give me the CD anyday and I'll rip it myself. And you can always buy and sell a CD 2nd hand anyway as the mood suits you.
The best thing about the iTunes store is the samples - combined with allmusic.com it's a great way of discovering new music.

I'd like to the see the iPhoto store though...

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
RE:
Err..... Britain is in the EU. It's just that we havn't gone and scrapped our own currency for that of the Euro.

We're waiting until dubya gives into president blairs pleeding and s***s him good and propper so that we can become the 53rd state.

That was the funniest thing I've read on this site. I love Brits. There should be more of em.

MavanAtapattu

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2004
warks
I'm fed up with people who blame everything on Europe.

Re. the nonsense about BSE earlier. BSE is the fault of greedy farmers. They get paid vast amounts of subsidy from the tax payer, plough up the countryside, cut down the hedgerows and then sell us meat that is going to kill us. I've got no time for them.

I've also got no time for the iTunes music store. If I really want the music I'll buy it on CD or vinyl, if I think it might be nice to listen to from time to time I'll download it for free. If I want to be generous with my money I'll give it to charity, not multinational record companies.

lord_flash

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
Brighton, England
Originally posted by MavanAtapattu
I'm fed up with people who blame everything on Europe.

Here, here! And, for those in the UK who are obsessed with the idea of buying music via iTunes, perhaps they should consider the possibility that I'd be looking at if I were Apple. iTunes for countries in the Euro-zone, none for those stragglers with their own, increasingly insignificant and uncompetitive currencies.

It's odd, but much of the hostility I hear about Europe comes from direct benificaries. Farmers, who get a fat cheque for doing nothing, or people in our cities which have all benefited from the European Regional Development Fund.

If you wanna be xenophobic, that's fine, but at least accept that it comes from a small-minded fear of minor cultural differences rather than the assorted other excuses you hear in the UK press. For example, all the papers went on at length about the weakness of the Euro for it's first year. Now it's stronger than the Pound you don't hear a thing about it...

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Originally posted by lord_flash
Here, here! And, for those in the UK who are obsessed with the idea of buying music via iTunes, perhaps they should consider the possibility that I'd be looking at if I were Apple. iTunes for countries in the Euro-zone, none for those stragglers with their own, increasingly insignificant and uncompetitive currencies.
Personally I wouldn't blame them if they did. That the UK is the largest market in the EU for ipods is probably the main reason they won't.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Originally posted by lord_flash

If you wanna be xenophobic, that's fine, but at least accept that it comes from a small-minded fear of minor cultural differences rather than the assorted other excuses you hear in the UK press.
A lot of people seem to believe we in the UK have more in common with the US than the Europeans. Anyone that's been to the US will tell you that it's quite different to the UK - we just happen to share a language (give or take). Apart from the Europeans speaking languages other than English I've always felt that I had much more in common with them rather than the Americans.

That's not meant as an attack on the Americans in any way. After all aren't we alll supposed to 'Think Different' around here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.