Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
They're all out.

Did Apple underestimate the number of shuffles in anticipation of clearing out stock for new shuffles to arrive at MWSF 06? I'd say. Smaller, lighter shuffles to debut in new colors, including black.

Stocks of shuffles and iPod nanos are all constrained. Maybe Apple should not have discontinued the minis so prematurely as some units are fetching $350 or more on eBay.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Wow

This reminds me of the iMac G4 fiasco. Apple expects the nano to lower shuffle sales, but it doesn't.

I think this proves that a new shuffle comes at MWSF.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
hyperpasta said:
This reminds me of the iMac G4 fiasco. Apple expects the nano to lower shuffle sales, but it doesn't.

I think this proves that a new shuffle comes at MWSF.

Yeah, maybe. They figure people will want to get their hands on the new stuff (either a new shuffle or something else).

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Say it with me now-New Shuffles next Tuesday! Black & White, more capacity, etc. Which also means-more capacity for Nanos!!!! Who's with me?

abhishake

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2005
Macrumors said:

Several readers report that the 1GB iPod shuffle is out of stock for the holidays at Apple's online store:

I don't actually think Apple is trying to make anymore..

New shuffles in January. That's the only plausible cause for this message.

ZorPrime

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles
Lacero said:
Stocks of shuffles and iPod nanos are all constrained. Maybe Apple should not have discontinued the minis so prematurely as some units are fetching $350 or more on eBay.

Really good point. It would have been nice to see the iPod mini phased out instead of dropped, especially since the mini had a higher storage capacity. It's still nice to see robust sales for Apple's products. :)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
...and I was supposed to be getting one for Christmas
cry-1.gif

oh well, perhaps I'll get a better one in the New Year then...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
ZorPrime said:
Really good point. It would have been nice to see the iPod mini phased out instead of dropped, especially since the mini had a higher storage capacity. It's still nice to see robust sales for Apple's products. :)

I'd buy a silver mini over a nano any day.

ZorPrime

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles
d_and_n5000 said:
Say it with me now-New Shuffles next Tuesday! Black & White, more capacity, etc. Which also means-more capacity for Nanos!!!! Who's with me?

Count me in! :D Higher capacity Nanos would be really nice, especially since the mini had more space. I'd get a Nano right now, if it had 6 or 8 gigs of space. As soon as it does, I'm there. :cool:

ZorPrime

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles
iGary said:
I'd buy a silver mini over a nano any day.

That's so funny... you read my mind. :) I was thinking about the good memories of the silver mini. It would be cool if Apple brought back the brushed silver look. :D

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
We have had few 1GB models in the last month or so, but a smattering of 512MB shuffles. Almost all our nanos have been 2GB, with a few 4GB sneaking through. Considering we are one of anything up to 6 major stores in Nottingham City centre that sell iPods, our sales have been very high, (due to high stock figures at times). Lots are going for the 5G iPod at the moment, thinking they have no chance on the nano.

I expect the shuffle to become a choice of black and white and hope it to have a small OLED display. I know this wouldn't exactly be Apple's favourite plan, but that small and cheap display would be the difference between someone ruling out the shuffle, (and settling for a rival company's), and deciding to have one. I know dozens would take the iPod with little persuading, if it had that display. Sales are what really counts at the end of the day.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
ZorPrime said:
Count me in! :D Higher capacity Nanos would be really nice, especially since the mini had more space. I'd get a Nano right now, if it had 6 or 8 gigs of space. As soon as it does, I'm there. :cool:

Why can't they make the 2G Nano in as ionized aluminum, like the mini. It would look like a remote. ;) :)

Nano 8GB with an ionized aluminum case. :D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Apple should have stuck to the mini design for the nano. Upgrade the mini to flash memory and a color screen. Fill up the spaced saved for a larger battery that would give us 40+ hours or more. That would have been nicer than the scratch-prone nano and their breaking screens.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i'm glad i got a free 6gb mini before they were discontinued.

now ill just have to get a new battery for it before my warranty expires.

jhartung

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2004
A bunch were defective

Mine broke after 6 months, as did many others'. I bet it's some sort of unoffical recall.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
4 GB Nano has a lead time of 2 weeks. Hope you didn't want to get one of those for the Holidays

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
steve_hill4 said:
Shouldn't that be in the Marketplace? ;)

I know some that would buy a 4GB nano for that price at the moment though, very hard to get hold of.

Our local Future Shop has plenty of 4GB iPod nanos (at least they had, 4 days ago). Maybe I can help your friend?

P.S.: email me directly if your friend is interested, and be sure to have a PayPal account to transfer the money. I'm only asking for the price of the nano + taxes + shipping. I'll take care of packaging (plenty of bubble wrap left from my other eBay purchases).

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
The new 1GB retail shuffles might be sold out, but you can buy one on the Refurb page for only $100. I saw that price and instantly told a friend who wanted a shuffle so bad for the past 3 months.

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
advised my brother agiainst his wiil to hold out for the new iPod shuffles in January. Hope they come out, come on Apple dont let me down!:confused:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
p0intblank said:
I will get a shuffle one of these days...
I prefer my shuffle to my nano. I will be getting another shuffle, only if they bump up capacity and make the edges chamfered, battery life longer, and wee bit smaller.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.