Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
hpzine said:
was gonna buy a ipod shuffle but the 8 places that I wen't to where sold out and also all other brands of iPods

brands don't equal models, or do they? I know what you meant though.

:p ;)

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
As many have pointed out this is both good and bad for Apple. It's good, as it likely points to a newer Shuffle in January, or that the line is going to be completely discontinued. I personally like and use my Shuffle extensively, both as a media player, for audio books, and as a data key. I don't think that it can hold on it what I need it to anymore. So my choices for a flash memory are get a 2gb or better USB key or card, or get a Nano and an extra USB cable that I carry around with me all the time. It's a tough decision. I have opted, only because of financial assistance, to get a Nano (my thread on an engraving question).

It hurts Apple in that people will just get another kind of MP3 player and go with another music service. Heck, they should sort of give the players away with every hardware purchase. It only encourages use of iTunes and of the iTunes Media Store.

I expect that my Shuffle will fall into the use as a backup player, or as something that I sell in the near feature. I can't see justifying owning 2 flash audio players/drives.

I wonder if people are actualy pissed at Apple, or if it's media hype?

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
paddy said:
how do you personalise an iPod shuffle?
:confused:

Apple has someone named Bob write on it with a sharpie.

I'm betting they replace the Shuffle with the iPod Inviso. The shuffle is just too damn big and visible.

I'd be happy with them slimming the shuffle down just enough for me to be able to plug in a mouse AND a shuffle at the same time on my iBook.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
DavidLeblond said:
I'm betting they replace the Shuffle with the iPod Inviso. The shuffle is just too damn big and visible.
At least it doesn't "snap in half" like the nano apparently has, (true story, I overhear a lot of people saying "Ooh, that's that nano that the newspapers have reported snaps in half in your pocket").

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
mproud said:
Check in with your Apple Retail Stores. Depending on how lucky you are, you just might be able to score one.

Well, you can still buy a refurb one from the special deals are of Apple's online store. Plus, the refurb. models are only $99.00.

Doozy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
I don't think this is bad news. It will just get the late shoppers to pony up more for a nano.

I love my shuffle, although i use it more as a memory stick, I can't imagine not having it.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
paddy said:
as far as I know you cant engrave an iPod shuffle, at least not on Apples Irish store:confused:
Yep, it sure does look that way. They must not have a suitable engraving machine in the plant that serves your area.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
jholzner said:
Well, you can still buy a refurb one from the special deals are of Apple's online store. Plus, the refurb. models are only $99.00.

Okay, so they are now sold out as well. I checked when I posted this earlier and they were listed and just checked again and they are gone. I wonder if Apple didn't run out be decided to use the flash memory for the nano instead of making more shuffles.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Went shopping today and decided to stop by the Apple Centre, (not an official Store, just a franchise, but the closest we have in Nottingham), and while browsing round their 25 square feet, I heard someone coming in looking for a shuffle only to be told they hadn't got either and they might get a few by the end of the month. As I have already stated, our store, (where I work), are getting very few from Apple and it appears to be the same in most major towns and cities across the UK.

Perhaps they are looking to dry stocks up before a relaunch. Typically, Apple issue new retail prices when they launch a replacement, (e.g the 15" SD PB was £1579, after the replacement came in at £1399, Apple reduced the RRP to £1349 for the older model), largely taking the blow losses incurred by the retailers, from what I understand, (our buyers told us this in effect, if we want to reduce it to a lower price further, we have to take the costs ourselves). By drying up stocks of older shuffles, they could be ensuring there are less around to sell at the lower price. If this is the case, it certainly is a smart move by Apple, saving those pennies.

gregarious119

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Reading, PA
1gb Shuffle becomes new 1GB Nano

I'll put money on the 1GB Nano coming at MWSF. Black and white for sure, maybe colors, similar to the old Mini. Priced the same as it was $149.

Probably move the 512 Shuffle to 79.99.

Why not? Everyone always complained about the Shuffle not having a screen anyways....so just throw the smaller flash in there and sell a ton.

jerrybrace

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2005
1Gb Shuffle to be replaced with 1GB Nano

1GB shuffles are selling out and faster than expected - no replacement until mid-January because they are being replaced with a 1GB nano.

So 1GB nano as the shuffle replacement and 4GB and 6GB for the other nanos.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
gregarious119 said:
I'll put money on the 1GB Nano coming at MWSF. Black and white for sure, maybe colors, similar to the old Mini. Priced the same as it was $149.

Probably move the 512 Shuffle to 79.99.

Why not? Everyone always complained about the Shuffle not having a screen anyways....so just throw the smaller flash in there and sell a ton.

That's what AppleInsider is reporting anyway http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1422. Seems plausible. I would kill the 512MB shuffle though and give Nanos a price drops/ storage bumps as Mr. Average won't be able to tell the difference between a much cheaper HDD player and a flash based player.

Price the 1GB shuffle at the current 512MB shuffle.

Introduce a 6GB nano, priced at the 4GB price point ($249/£179) and push the 2GB and 4GB nanos down in price. Should kill the argument about the poor storage/price ratio of the Nano.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Doozy said:
I don't think this is bad news. It will just get the late shoppers to pony up more for a nano.

I love my shuffle, although i use it more as a memory stick, I can't imagine not having it.

Dumb question: how do you use it as a memory stick? Can you swap files on it between computers just by plugging it in, etc?

Sorry so dumbie.

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
California said:
Dumb question: how do you use it as a memory stick? Can you swap files on it between computers just by plugging it in, etc?

Sorry so dumbie.

I believe that is how it works. The software that comes with it allows you to specify how much of the memory is used for music and how much is used for a general memory stick.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
overstock.com are again selling 1GB iPod Shuffles (they had some back in October). Also a whole array of Shuffle accessories.

b0x

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2005
1gb Shuffles are now out of stock in Australia as well... All looks good for a model refresh. With a bit of luck lanyard headphones will be included as standard!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
b0x said:
1gb Shuffles are now out of stock in Australia as well... All looks good for a model refresh. With a bit of luck lanyard headphones will be included as standard!

Out of stock here too eh? I might just zip down to the local Apple Centre tomorrow and buy all of the 25 1GB shuffles they had there today.

I love my local Apple Centre, they get everything in quickly and hold onto the cool old stuff for longer. I reckon I bought the last wired one button mouse in most of Oz, certainly the last one they've sold here.

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
dietcokevanilla said:
...and I was supposed to be getting one for Christmas
cry-1.gif

oh well, perhaps I'll get a better one in the New Year then...
If

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
dietcokevanilla said:
...and I was supposed to be getting one for Christmas
cry-1.gif

oh well, perhaps I'll get a better one in the New Year then...
If it turns out that way, it will definitely be worth the wait. Good luck!

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
We just got 25 512MB shuffles in today, (after only getting a few over the course of the last week), and some started to go immediately. It feels though as if the tide is turning now and there are fewer people left wanting the shuffle. We also got 135 2GB Black nanos in, and they almost started flying out within minutes.

I hope Apple don't completely stop selling shuffles, a small screen will increase sales dramatically, but they will lose a lot of respect from the average Joe looking for a cheap mp3 player. If they see Apple as a brand you have to pay $200+ to buy in to, they may ignore the value for money the nanos and iPods offer.

As the Doors said, People Are Strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.