Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oliv_wil284

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2024
Hi, i’m looking to purchase an ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen but would only be able to get 64gb storage. Is that enough for me, an ordinary person trying to use this tablet for videos and games?

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Hi, i’m looking to purchase an ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen but would only be able to get 64gb storage. Is that enough for me, an ordinary person trying to use this tablet for videos and games?

Would be a stretch. Mines 64gb but I put all my photos and videos in the cloud. If you do that might be ok.

oliv_wil284

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2024
Would be a stretch. Mines 64gb but I put all my photos and videos in the cloud. If you do that might be ok.
yeah, i wouldn’t really have many photos or videos on the ipad so i thought it could work as a stretch. I’d probably have about 10-15 games and a few movie streaming sites and possibly some online shopping apps.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
yeah, i wouldn’t really have many photos or videos on the ipad so i thought it could work as a stretch. I’d probably have about 10-15 games and a few movie streaming sites and possibly some online shopping apps.

Would probably be ok in that case. I’m currently using 38 gig local with all my photos and videos in the cloud. So still have plenty of head room.

And if you’re streaming movies rather than downloading that will make a difference.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Would probably be ok in that case. I’m currently using 38 gig local with all my photos and videos in the cloud. So still have plenty of head room.

And if you’re streaming movies rather than downloading that will make a difference.
It depends on how big the games are. If I were buying a 12.9 I wouldn’t scrimp on storage. It’s a lot of money to spend to find out you are restricted on space later on down the line. I have a 64GB iPad mini which is fine for my usage. I only use about 30GB. However it’s my secondary iPad. I have an iPad Pro 11 which has 256GB of storage.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
@oliv_wil284

My 5 cent is that if you can, get a newer iPad version so that you can enjoy running the latest OS and get updates for it if you plan to keep it for a few years. The 2nd gen pro probably won't be able to run iOS 18 which means you will be having a device that don't get security updates after a year and a half (if things doesn't change).

Since you do mention that you will be playing games CPU/GPU power is usually relevant, there is a big difference between the a10X (12.9 2nd gen) and a12X(12.9 3rd gen).

If you can try and get the 3rd or 4th gen of the 12.9 ipad pro, they will most likely be running iOS 18 and get updates.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
@oliv_wil284

My 5 cent is that if you can, get a newer iPad version so that you can enjoy running the latest OS and get updates for it if you plan to keep it for a few years. The 2nd gen pro probably won't be able to run iOS 18 which means you will be having a device that don't get security updates after a year and a half (if things doesn't change).

Since you do mention that you will be playing games CPU/GPU power is usually relevant, there is a big difference between the a10X (12.9 2nd gen) and a12X(12.9 3rd gen).

If you can try and get the 3rd or 4th gen of the 12.9 ipad pro, they will most likely be running iOS 18 and get updates.

I second this advice.

RinkDinkus

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2022
Instagram: maxzeuner
Definitely more than 64GB if you can—but if you are willing to make it work, use websites vs apps. Amazon takes up 760MB on my phone when I could easily just go to Amazon.com and do 90% of the tasks the same way.
Also as others have mentioned, be aware that this device may be approaching its final software upgrade within the next year or so since it is 7 years old in June. Don’t know if you’re trying to stay as up to date as possible on the OS, or if lack of OS upgrades bothers you.

Viridian5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2023
IMO it’s all about how much you want to have downloaded for offline use. I have a 64gb iPad Air and the only issues I run into with storage are on longer airplane rides when I want to download everything.

Reactions: lewjh and G5isAlive

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
No. You don't have enough room if you like to play games and watch movies. 512gb minimum.

Found Tim’s burner account!

My wife currently has 64GB on hers with dozens of apps and games and still has 24GB to spare. My daughter uses it more than my wife.

The only adjustment I make is I’ll delete some movies downloaded on Disney for my daughter for travel when storage drops. Can always redownload later.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
No. I thought it would be. It’s not. Apple’s extremely small base storage works very well for one thing: if you want to reduce your screen time rendering the device basically unusable for photo, video, or messaging apps will reduce your screen time dramatically!

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
No
Edit: But 2gen Pro was a perfect machine back then, much more aesthetic and durable, I still use it now for note-taking (plugged in all the time because the battery sucks now)

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Hi, i’m looking to purchase an ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen
That model is from 2017, so I hope you’re not spending very much money on it and are prepared for a very old battery that requires frequent charging. 2nd gen was discontinued in 2018 when gen 3 got smaller bezels [and body] and FaceID.
but would only be able to get 64gb storage. Is that enough for me, an ordinary person trying to use this tablet for videos and games?
Lots of people can make do with 64GB, if one is willing to keep things in the cloud or be a minimalist (like I am. I use about 32 of my 128).

Reactions: BanjoDudeAhoy

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
No. 64GB is not enough considering that there isn't even a full 64GB of free storage available for you to use: System data and various other OS files that you cannot delete or access (or should ever try to touch) will take up a decent chunk of the 64GB (future OSs may take up even more, or the download file for the OS will force you to delete files before you can upgrade).

Yes, I know prices for 64GB get low and value/$ appears good.

But in 2023, considering sizes of apps, games and various photo and video formats, etc., storage will become an issue sooner or later. You'll end up wasting a ton of time trying to move files around, or get slowed down whenever you try to do anything beyond the most basic stuff.

The notion that you can simply rely cloud storage or external is false, as your iPad's battery will drain much faster with constant down- and uploading, or you'll struggle with the cumbersome process of moving files between your iPad and an external drive.

Get a 256GB model or get a 128GB* Pro.

*128GB is, in my experience, enough for nearly every kind of user.

• Love
Reactions: Shirasaki

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
I had gotten a 64GB iPad Air for Christmas. I have iCloud, so no video or photos stored locally, but I like to game. iOS & System data took up probably about 20GB. Downloaded some games, GTA was 10GB. I quickly found that it was not enough storage for me. Sure you could offload apps and play storage manager, but I didn’t want to have to deal with that. Took it back and upgraded to the 256GB model.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
The iPads memory is used for more then just storing files and photos, lots of un used memory is use in keeping the items you are browsing in view and not just dropping off or you losing the total view,
I always had just 64 and always had viewing problems, with my new iPad Air 5 i went with 256 and my viewing is now very good no waiting for the memory to be over written.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore

I will suggest looking at the 3rd gen 12.9” iPad Pro instead, mainly because of the A12x chip but also because of the new design, making it overall a sleeker model with thinner bezels and lighter weight.

With meticulously housekeeping, 64GB will work.

Ultimately it would probably be a chore and therefore unless you are absolutely certain that you have no need for more space, the minimum today would be at least 128GB.

Last edited:

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
I have a 64GB. I don’t use it for gaming. But when I want to download a few movies I quite often run out of space. It’s also aggressive at self deleting apps so I’m quite often having to reinstall an app when I need to use it.

Would definitely recommend going for 128GB but the person who said 512GB minimum is being a bit silly; it depends a lot on how you expect to use the device.

Reactions: G5isAlive

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
The clear "yes" or "no" answers kinda bother me every time because this is soooo subjective :D

I have multiple iPads and all of them with 64 GB of storage. That's perfectly fine - for me.
On my 2018 iPad Pro I have multiple games installed atm (Gris, Lara Croft Go, FAR: Lone Sails, Bad North and GTA 3) as well as a bunch of apps (Affinity Photo, Word, Excel, GarageBand, Discord, Spotify among others) and my current storage use is 31 GB of the 64.

If you're going to play more modern games, you'll probably use (a lot) more storage.
To get an idea of how much, you could check the storage requirements as stated on the App Store. I'd round up generously, but it'll still give you an idea. It's not a clear cut yes or no whether the 64 will be enough.

Also bear in mind that certain modern games may no longer run because this is a 2017 device.

Last edited:
Reactions: TVreporter

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
That model is from 2017, so I hope you’re not spending very much money on it and are prepared for a very old battery that requires frequent charging. 2nd gen was discontinued in 2018 when gen 3 got smaller bezels [and body] and FaceID.

Lots of people can make do with 64GB, if one is willing to keep things in the cloud or be a minimalist (like I am. I use about 32 of my 128).
Oh yes I forgot to mention in my post, that whilst 64GB works well for me on my iPad mini, I have a 2 TB iCloud storage plan so much of my stuff is kept off the device.

Reactions: Bardwolf

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have a 64GB. I don’t use it for gaming. But when I want to download a few movies I quite often run out of space. It’s also aggressive at self deleting apps so I’m quite often having to reinstall an app when I need to use it.

Would definitely recommend going for 128GB but the person who said 512GB minimum is being a bit silly; it depends a lot on how you expect to use the device.
I've found that I can keep quite a few movies on my mini. I have 3 movies and 5 TV show episodes. I only play Mario Kart tour on there. I have about 20GB free. Now that I work from home I don't really take it out of the house. So yes it works for me because I'm at home most of the time, in range of wifi, have ample iCloud storage and have another iPad Pro with 256GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.