Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
Hi, i’m looking to purchase an ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen but would only be able to get 64gb storage. Is that enough for me, an ordinary person trying to use this tablet for videos and games?
It's enough for me, but I don't have any games. Nor do I have my entire music collection on it. My previous iPad had 32 GB and that was a bit tight.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Not true. I have the Mini 6 with 256GB. It works great for watching movies!! I used to play games as well but got tired of them.
Agree 100%.

I work with both Logic, Final Cut, and various photo/art apps on my iPad, and downloaded my entire Music library on my iPad (not in lossless quality) and I'm struggling go much beyond 128GB on my 256GB.

If I were to buy a new iPad today, I'd save the money and get 128GB (unless if there's no 128GB option. Then I'd get 256GB again).

512GB would be overkill for most even playing games. Like, you're not ever going to have a selection of PS5 level games available on your iPad so buying storage to have room for those doesn't make sense.

An iPad is not a gaming console. The console level games on the App Store are too few and far, and they don't take up as much space as the PS5 ones do.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Agree 100%.

I work with both Logic, Final Cut, and various photo/art apps on my iPad, and downloaded my entire Music library on my iPad (not in lossless quality) and I'm struggling go much beyond 128GB on my 256GB.

If I were to buy a new iPad today, I'd save the money and get 128GB (unless if there's no 128GB option. Then I'd get 256GB again).

512GB would be overkill for most even playing games. Like, you're not ever going to have a selection of PS5 level games available on your iPad so buying storage to have room for those doesn't make sense.

An iPad is not a gaming console. The console level games on the App Store are too few and far, and they don't take up as much space as the PS5 ones do.
I hardly play games these days but did in the past. Previous Mini’s with 128GB worked just fine.

Reactions: digitalcuriosity

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
The 2nd gen pro probably won't be able to run iOS 18 which means you will be having a device that don't get security updates after a year and a half (if things doesn't change)
Agreed. Someone squeezing a few years out of their old device is different from someone buying said device from them.
Since you do mention that you will be playing games CPU/GPU power is usually relevant, there is a big difference between the a10X (12.9 2nd gen) and a12X(12.9 3rd gen).
Another valid point. Apple even limits some features of iPadOS on the older processors. When I had the a10X on my 10.5” the Maps app was restricted from displaying the interactive globe view.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
As someone who usually gets base storage iPhones "Games" is a bit of a red flag. Games can take up multiple GBs of space so it really depends on which games you're referring to.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I'll likely get flack for this but I've owned a 2nd generation for the past 5 years and I don't recommend buying one now. I know that many others may report that they have no issues with theirs, but I've had mine replaced twice for touch screen sensitivity issues under AppleCare and now this 3rd unit is displaying touch screen issues as well. It now sits on the side collecting dust most of the time and I use my Mini 6 a few hours a day. Occasionally I'll dust off the 12.9 to watch some videos on it but my youtube watching on my Mini is perfectly satisfactory for me.

I think that the Gen 2 and older iPad Pros are long enough in the tooth to not be worth purchasing at this point with where iOS is. Clearly if OP is looking at one they're prioritizing screen size and price, which I can't fault, but if it were me I'd consider saving up for something slightly newer.

As for capacity, if video watching while offline (storing video in onboard storage) is a priority then definitely 64gb is not enough. At a minimum for me I'd go with 256GB which depending on how large of a library one wants to curate on local storage may also still be limiting to some but should be reasonably large enough to carry someone over for a trip for a week or two.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
I think that the Gen 2 and older iPad Pros are long enough in the tooth to not be worth purchasing at this point with where iOS is.
This. Owners of unwanted but working 2017 iPad Pros should either gift them to someone or let Apple recycle the aluminum into new devices, lol. That’s where my 10.5” went, after the screen became very ugly.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
If you're planning to store games and videos on it, probably not. Those are exactly the types of files that take up a lot of space. I would suggest 64GB only if you're not planning to store anything on your iPad except for documents and simple apps.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Hi, i’m looking to purchase an ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen but would only be able to get 64gb storage. Is that enough for me, an ordinary person trying to use this tablet for videos and games?

The base storage is fine for the vast majority, but you may need to offload and re-load apps.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
It depends on your needs and setup. For me, 64gb is more than enough. But I use iCloud and my Mac drive on my WiFi network to access files, documents, videos, music, etc. If you want to store everything on the iPad, then likely not enough.

DFBwin

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
Don’t get just 64GB
I’m using an iPad Pro 2019 11 inch 64GB for streaming and gaming.
Games are big today. Not a rare sight, that a game is 3-8GB. If you consider playing one of the resident evil titles, it’s well above 10GB.
I’m constantly deleting and installing games so my iPad is not full. I regret not buying at least 128GB.

And get yours with cellular. I did this mistake on my first iPad (the reason why I even bought a second).

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
The main reason you would need more than 64 gig is if you plan on storing a lot of media on the iPad itself.

If you use a lot of apps, that could also take up space. I used to always get the lowest storage on my iPhone but then I ran out due to my messages and email attachments.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I got a 64GB iPad mini and regret it. It’s full all of the time. Keep in mind that the OS takes up part of that storage, and data gets eaten up quickly by the system and your apps, and you have no way to upgrade the internal storage later.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
64GB is too small for me for games. Granted, Genshin Impact uses ~20GB by itself.

Note, A10X is pretty old now. I’ve seen games that require A12 minimum to run.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have 2 iPad minis (both 64GB) and I haven't come close to filling the drive. I use them for watching videos, surfing, and remoting into my Macs. It all depends on typical daily usage. Be careful not to let the forum convince you of spending way more than you need. It is was for strangers to spend other peoples money.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
This is MR with a bunch of enthusiasts and tech snobs, the suggestions will devolve into you need the latest iPad Pro Max Ultra Optimum edition M3 for future proofing with 64GB RAM and 2TB storage

• Haha
Reactions: Seanm87 and geta

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
This is MR with a bunch of enthusiasts and tech snobs, the suggestions will devolve into you need the latest iPad Pro Max Ultra Optimum edition M3 for future proofing with 64GB RAM and 2TB storage

Yes on a forum such as this it is inevitable that some users will encourage someone to buy something much fancier than a person needs.

However, do you recommend buying a 6 year old iPad Pro that has had its last major iOS update, is at the bottom tier of storage, is currently listed as vintage and will probably be listed as obsolete in the next year or two?

I own one, and I can't in good conscience do so. This is escpecially true given that OP hasn't noted the purchase price or their expectation of service life of the device.

Reactions: CharlesShaw

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
Here is my 2 cents I have a iPad 9 generation only 64 gigs which was fine in the beginning but now Apps have gotten bigger take up more on board storage I would not recommend getting the 64 gi model you are looking at look at something a little more new that will get longer iOS support and if 64 gigs works for you take the plunge and get it good luck on your decision 😁👍🏻

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Mine is 64 gb, and that's enough for me. I don't download music or movies. And not as many apps as I have on my iPhone 14 Pro Max.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
I had gotten a 64GB iPad Air for Christmas. I have iCloud, so no video or photos stored locally, but I like to game. iOS & System data took up probably about 20GB. Downloaded some games, GTA was 10GB. I quickly found that it was not enough storage for me. Sure you could offload apps and play storage manager, but I didn’t want to have to deal with that. Took it back and upgraded to the 256GB model.
larger games are space takers. If you get the largest possible memory, you feel you are set. But if you use those big games and even the largest you fill it fast. You need to be aware of the sizes and space you have.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
More than enough for me but my iPad is only used for watching streaming, reading recipes using is as a second display and using the pencil with photoshop . I can’t really imagine using it to take photos or videos so no space gets used

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
And get yours with cellular. I did this mistake on my first iPad (the reason why I even bought a second).

What’s the advantage of that when we can tether our iPads to iPhones? The only one I can think of is a GPS module, but this might not be needed/used by people?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.