Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Hi, i’m looking to purchase an ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen but would only be able to get 64gb storage. Is that enough for me, an ordinary person trying to use this tablet for videos and games?

I would definitely NOT buy a 12.9 iPad Pro with 64 GB of storage. It is a very expensive iPad, and you will cripple the lifetime of it with only 64 GB. I'd CONSIDER it on an iPad mini, or a base model iPad, if you know your data needs will be limited but on a 12.9 pro - NO WAY.

256 minimum, preferably 512 or more. Yes, it will add to the price, but in terms of % increase vs. the baseline cost - for the longevity/flexibility it is worth it.

Unless you're literally just using the iPad for browsing the internet and maybe basic note taking, 64 GB will be very very small, especially as newer versions of iPadOS come out and you run into problems upgrading due to lack of space.

Going for 64 on a 12.9 pro is just wasting money in the long run - Apple shouldn't be selling them as they're just creating premature e-waste with that configuration imho. The CPU will be good for a long time, as will the 8 GB of RAM. 64 GB of storage will not.

128 GB would be a limiting base line minimum imho, but for a device of this price range, 256 really should be entry level.

Even if you're doing pretty basic stuff, 64 GB will disappear fast and the Pro machines can use swap for virtual memory if required; they can't won't if you have no free space.

64 GB in an iPad Pro is like buying a $200 wagu steak and then cooking it well done - in the microwave.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
>rying to use this tablet for videos and games?

I really *REALLY* hate these type of vague questions.

VIDEOS:

What type of videos? Are these videos stored on the iPad, or will they be streamed using a service like YouTube or Hulu? If it's streamed videos, you'll be fine. If they are videos stored on the iPad, no. A DVD movie is 8GB in size or thereabouts. Your 64GB tablet will have about 50GB of free space, and movies will eat through space like crazy.

GAMES:

What type of games? Are these simple games (think "Angry Birds"), AAA title games (think "RE 4" - or whatever AAA games are these days that kids play), or streaming games (think "Nvida Force Now" - assuming it's compatible with the iPad)?

- Simple games would be fine. These games usually don't take up much storage, and your tablet can process the graphics with ease.
- AAA Games will struggle, and you'll be hitting the memory limit really fast. Expect to only be able to install one or two games at most.
- Streaming games would be fine, since the tablet would be used just to relay information from a server where all the processing is happening.

IMPORTANT WORD ABOUT UPDATES:

I believe this iPad will be getting one more update of iPad OS. Generally iPad OS is generally supported for 3 years after the last update for security patches. To my knowledge, AAA games require the latest version of iPad OS to run, since they push the machine to the limits. If this machine will be used for streaming or simple games, I expect the iPad to be usable until the underlying security system is no longer supported, about 5 years after the last update or thereabouts.

MY ADVICE:

Unless you're getting a very good deal, or you'll be using this machine as a streaming machine, pass on this machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
GAMES:

What type of games? Are these simple games (think "Angry Birds"), AAA title games (think "RE 4"), or streaming games (think "Nvida Force Now" - assuming it's compatible with the iPad)?

- AAA Games will struggle, and you'll be hitting the memory limit really fast. Expect to only be able to install one or two games at most.

Resident Evil 4 won't run on the 2017 iPP anyway. :p

RE4 requires M-series or A17 Pro chipset. I believe this might be the most demanding game on the App Store at the moment.

Reactions: JustAnExpat

DFBwin

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
What’s the advantage of that when we can tether our iPads to iPhones? The only one I can think of is a GPS module, but this might not be needed/used by people?
This is exact the same thought I had when I cheaped out on cellular.
But if you use it on a day to day basis, it gets tedious to always use tethering …
So in the end it’s just convenience.

I ended up buying a new one because I used tethering that often, that I got tired of it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
What’s the advantage of that when we can tether our iPads to iPhones? The only one I can think of is a GPS module, but this might not be needed/used by people?

If you use the iPad with no wifi most of the time, built-in cellular is a lot more convenient plus your phone’s battery won’t die as quickly.

Reactions: G5isAlive and geta

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I only buy cellular ipads for myself and my wife. The advantage is not having to think about internet connections at all, which includes having another device in proximity to the ipad, or the status of said device's battery level, data cap on that line, etc. There's a cost, no doubt about that but it doesn't break the bank for me so I don't worry about it at all. We are all different.

Greybeard2017

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2020
I would definitely NOT buy a 12.9 iPad Pro with 64 GB of storage. It is a very expensive iPad, and you will cripple the lifetime of it with only 64 GB.
My guess is that a 12.9 iPad Pro second gen with 64GB in 2024 is not going to be a very expensive iPad.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
My guess is that a 12.9 iPad Pro second gen with 64GB in 2024 is not going to be a very expensive iPad.
In the grand scheme of comparing the current costs of used and new iPads no, but I think the point that was being made is that it is not advisable to be buying into a high end model that is near end of service support.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I only buy cellular ipads for myself and my wife. The advantage is not having to think about internet connections at all, which includes having another device in proximity to the ipad, or the status of said device's battery level, data cap on that line, etc. There's a cost, no doubt about that but it doesn't break the bank for me so I don't worry about it at all. We are all different.
Absolutely agree on this... Especially for people like me who don't have an iPhone, it's far from seamless outside the ecosystem, and sometimes it just refuses to work (although most of the times it works).
Also if I am relatively low on battery it's another PITA (especially if you need cellular for like a couple of hours, then it's just impossible)
I guess people who say it's pointless harly ever use it for more that a couple of minutes every now and then.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
My iPad mini is 64GB and I’m not a gamer… the biggest annoyance is that it “offloads” apps to free up space, so if I haven’t used an app lately if likely needs to reinstall. It actually works pretty well for all that, just a short delay. But, I’m looking forward to getting a 256 at the next update.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Hi, i’m looking to purchase an ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen but would only be able to get 64gb storage. Is that enough for me, an ordinary person trying to use this tablet for videos and games?

It’s all about your needs…

Having Mini 6 64GB and for my needs and usage its fine. Got it a bit after release day and still having 26GB free space.

That been said, 128GB version would be the ideal storage for me…

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
If it’s an older device and you’re paying less for it, then 64GB is fine as long as you’re not going to be downloading games or movies. It’s more than adequate for browsing. If you’re going to be using it as a main device though, I’d have second thoughts about it.

I would never buy a new device with such a small amount of storage though.

I still have a 16GB iPad Air 2 which is still usable for light tasks, but I’m always at less than 1GB available for obvious reasons. That is still a usable device, but you always have to remember that storage is extremely limited.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
OP, if you think of gaming specifically, 64 GB might be a bit tight, unless you want to install a game, play it, then delete it and replace by another game sort of thing. You need to consider that iPadOS 17 itself takes about 10 GB, plus the System Data that takes 11.5 GB on my Air 5. So this leaves you with about 40 GB of useable space. You could check the size of the games you are thinking of using and see if this is possible.

If a ProMotion is not so important for your games, you could also consider getting a 12” iPad Air, that is rumoured to come out in 2024:

However, if you are planning to stream your videos and/or games, 64 GB might still work.

Reactions: rui no onna

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
OP, if you think of gaming specifically, 64 GB might be a bit tight, unless you want to install a game, play it, then delete it and replace by another game sort of thing. You need to consider that iPadOS 17 itself takes about 10 GB, plus the System Data that takes 11.5 GB on my Air 5. So this leaves you with about 40 GB of useable space. You could check the size of the games you are thinking of using and see if this is possible.

If a ProMotion is not so important for your games, you could also consider getting a 12” iPad Air, that is rumoured to come out in 2024:

However, if you are planning to stream your videos and/or games, 64 GB might still work.
If the OP is considering this model, his budget is probably under $300. I could see stretching it to $400 to get a (better) ) 2018 12.9, but the new 12.9 air will have a $800-900 starting price. I doubt that would even be an option.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I’ll keep it straight.

If you value your time spent on something else, be it work, family, leisure, or whatever, instead of juggling around trying to free up iPad storage, get as high capacity as you can afford it. We have so many more important matters to attend to over squeezing out that one last GB to save a file on iPad.

Can cloud only setup work? It can, evidenced by many people commenting their own light usage. If you are able to make it work for you, good. Otherwise, get more storage.

Oh and yes, look into the ipad pro with a12X. That extra power can be very handy.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The main issue I would have with a 2nd gen pro model, more than storage, is reliability. Many second gen pros have had screen issues, mainly a white spot on the 10.5in and touch responsiveness on the 12.9 (both model have had both issues, I had both on my 10.5, but the 10.5 was more affected by the bright spot, while the 12.9 was more affected by touch responsiveness, that is touch stopping working for a few seconds and then working again only to stop working after a while and rework again after a few seconds)

Reactions: JustAnExpat

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
What size is your phone? That is a probably what you will probably use.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
I have a 128GB 12.9” iPad Pro and if had an option I would’ve purchased a 64GB one.
I would definitely NOT buy a 12.9 iPad Pro with 64 GB of storage. It is a very expensive iPad, and you will cripple the lifetime of it with only 64 GB. I'd CONSIDER it on an iPad mini, or a base model iPad, if you know your data needs will be limited but on a 12.9 pro - NO WAY.

256 minimum, preferably 512 or more. Yes, it will add to the price, but in terms of % increase vs. the baseline cost - for the longevity/flexibility it is worth it.

Unless you're literally just using the iPad for browsing the internet and maybe basic note taking, 64 GB will be very very small, especially as newer versions of iPadOS come out and you run into problems upgrading due to lack of space.

Going for 64 on a 12.9 pro is just wasting money in the long run - Apple shouldn't be selling them as they're just creating premature e-waste with that configuration imho. The CPU will be good for a long time, as will the 8 GB of RAM. 64 GB of storage will not.

128 GB would be a limiting base line minimum imho, but for a device of this price range, 256 really should be entry level.

Even if you're doing pretty basic stuff, 64 GB will disappear fast and the Pro machines can use swap for virtual memory if required; they can't won't if you have no free space.

64 GB in an iPad Pro is like buying a $200 wagu steak and then cooking it well done - in the microwave.

I hate generic replies like this as it’s just simply wrong. I have a 128GB 12.9” iPad Pro and a 64GB IPad Mini 6. I’m only using 38GB on my IPP and have had it since release date. I actually wanted a 64GB iPP but they didn’t make it. Storage use and RAM are completely separate and if you stream most stuff and use Safari instead of apps then 64GB is plenty. System storage is dynamic and not a used space (mine is currently at only 7GB). I will easily use my iPP for several more years and not have an issue with space.

I have over 80GB of photos/videos in iCloud. I stream everything and the few times I’ve needed to download movies/shows I‘ve had no issues. Recently downloaded a whole season of Slow Horses and Blue Samurai on my iPad Mini before heading to vacation with no issues. Still had 20GB free.

So OP needs to look at the games they may play and figure out how big they are before deciding if 64GB is good enough.

Reactions: geta

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I hate generic replies like this as it’s just simply wrong. I have a 128GB 12.9” iPad Pro and a 64GB IPad Mini 6. I’m only using 38GB on my IPP and have had it since release date.

Sure, its a generic reply, but I would also posit that spending that much on the rest of the iPad and crippling it by not spending the last 10% is a bad financial decision for most people.

If you have to ask, assume you are "most people" (because most people are, by definition) and not some niche edge case like yourself. I have single games larger than the entire storage of your iPad mini.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, its a generic reply, but I would also posit that spending that much on the rest of the iPad and crippling it by not spending the last 10% is a bad financial decision for most people.

If you have to ask, assume you are "most people" (because most people are, by definition) and not some niche edge case like yourself. I have single games larger than the entire storage of your iPad mini.

A bad financial decision is spending much more for an item than you really need. Niche edge case?? My son has my old 2018 12.9 iPP and is only using 25GB. He streams all of his games via XBox as well as TV/movies. I have two nieces in college who are barely using 40GB and one does significant video editing (no idea how much she keeps on device). My wife has an M1 iPad Air and she's using 50GB out of 64GB and that's because she just downloaded about 10 movies for our recent vacation but once she deletes them she's back to around 30GB.

So by definition, I'm not a niche edge case.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
Is two seats enough for a car?

It all depends, right? I have the 64GB iPad Pro from 2018, and it is very heavily used for browsing and media consumption, some dabbling with creative stuff, hell even gaming from time to time, I have Civilization 6 on it. Here's how it looks after five years of constant use (in Swedish but it's all the same), never did any housekeeping really, I just used it:

IMG_CA2D07FC80C9-1.jpeg

I have been perfectly happy with my iPad and the storage. I knew what I would use it for when I bought it, so why should I have wasted money on space I don't need.

It's so bloody obvious, buy what you need for the intended life of the device.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
This was the year of both a new iPad and a new laptop.
The iPadAir5 was my choice of replacement of my older iPad the new Msi Stealth 16 my choice of new laptop to replace 14 year old laptop.

• Wow
Reactions: DaPhox

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010

After installation iPadOS 17.2 takes up 10GB and system data takes another 10GB. I get out of storage messages now. Tried a hard reset but it’s not reclaiming the storage and there’s no way to delete the update files. I guess that’s Apples way of forcing everyone to buy > 64GB devices

Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.