Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is 64GB enough for your iPhone?

• I have 64GB, and it's plenty for me!

Votes: 168 49.7%
  • I have 64GB, and it's not enough.

Votes: 33 9.8%
  • Can't have fewer than 128GB!

Votes: 122 36.1%
  • Even 32GB is enough for me.

Votes: 15 4.4%

• Total voters

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
11 apps? Mind if I ask you to share your home screen(s)? :eek:

Just today I was seeing if I could reduce my app count, but as it is, all the apps that I have are the ones I use frequently. Although, I could possibly give myself a digital detox and start performing a lot of those tasks on the desktop. Hmm. Breaching another subject here.. ;)
Eleven user-installed apps, the number of Apps shown in Settings > General > About is the number of user-installed apps.. not including the apps that shipped with the phone.

My phone storage would increase quite a bit if Apple would remove the junk apps (Books, Calculator, Compass, FaceTime, Home, Measure, Stocks, Tips, Voice Memos, Wallet, Watch) and move them to the App Store.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Eleven user-installed apps, the number of Apps shown in Settings > General > About is the number of user-installed apps.. not including the apps that shipped with the phone.

My phone storage would increase quite a bit if Apple would remove the junk apps (Books, Calculator, Compass, FaceTime, Home, Measure, Stocks, Tips, Voice Memos, Wallet, Watch) and move them to the App Store.

Yes, I am aware of the significance of that number. I am curious to know how you are using your phone to get by with 11 apps. Might be enlightening since I am trying to make some clear boundaries between my phone and desktop to better define what I do on each.

Reactions: revmacian

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
You are using relatively close to 64GB. Keep a few gigs available at all times to install updates, download an app or movie, take a photo or a video, or even to keep your iPhone running smoothly (without lags and crashes.)
[automerge]1580567125[/automerge]

Apple doesn't sell 32GB iPhone's. To find a 32GB iPhone, you have to find an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus or an even older iPhone. You shouldn't buy an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. Especially don't buy an older iPhone. They are too old to buy at this point.

Agreed with OP.

I have a XS Max 256GB. Even 128GB is not enough for me, I am happy with 256GB, I have used 88.4GB, but I am still adding more Music and the rest is for videos, photos and more Movies and YouTube videos I’ll be downloading for traveling etc...for when I cannot be on the Internet.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Yes, I am aware of the significance of that number. I am curious to know how you are using your phone to get by with 11 apps. Might be enlightening since I am trying to make some clear boundaries between my phone and desktop to better define what I do on each.
Oh, ok, sure.. no problem. I could have a lot more storage on my phone if Apple would take out the trash.. they could remove 15 stock apps, if they really wanted to, and move them to the App Store.

IMG_0009.png

IMG_0010.png

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Oh, ok, sure.. no problem. I could have a lot more storage on my phone if Apple would take out the trash.. they could remove 15 stock apps, if they really wanted to, and move them to the App Store.

View attachment 891778

View attachment 891779

These screens look so zen-like. :p

There's a lot to learn from your usage. You are doing without social media on the phone, no banking app, no streaming service, I see the kind of focussed use that must allow you! Thank you for sharing.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I’m using 13.6gb out of 64, and my phone is over 2 years now since I bought it. 64 is more than enough for me. Most of my apps, videos, music resides on my iPad and my phone is used mainly for communicating. The few apps that I do have are small.
F40A84CC-BACF-4820-B76F-349AF9A46911.jpeg

Last edited:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
These screens look so zen-like. :p

There's a lot to learn from your usage. You are doing without social media on the phone, no banking app, no streaming service, I see the kind of focussed use that must allow you! Thank you for sharing.
You're welcome. I refuse to use an app for something that can be done via a website. I feel social media and streaming services rob us of time that could be spent on higher pursuits. I loathe chaos and disorder.. and my devices seem to reflect that.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

They come preinstalled for the average user. Most (not all ie Wallet) can be offloaded or deleted from the home screen or the iPhone Storage menu in settings.

Its not quite a bit of space because some are just web based (stocks, home) or displaying sensor data with a GUI (compass).

IMG_C3C7451802A4-1.jpeg

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
They come preinstalled for the average user. Most (not all ie Wallet) can be offloaded or deleted from the home screen or the iPhone Storage menu in settings.

Its not quite a bit of space because some are just web based (stocks, home) or displaying sensor data with a GUI (compass).

View attachment 891795
That deletes the icon from the Home screen, but it doesn't delete the app documents or data. It's not actually a "delete".. it's more of a "make the user feel better" thing.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I'm currently only using 48GB, and I think given the popularity of streaming service and cloud storage the average person probably doesn't need more than 64GB, but I still wish they'd increase the minimum. It would cost them a matter of cents.

No it would cost them hundreds. For anybody who only needs more then 64GB but not more then 128 they would lose out on those people who upgrade to 256gb because of that fact.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
You are using relatively close to 64GB. Keep a few gigs available at all times to install updates, download an app or movie, take a photo or a video, or even to keep your iPhone running smoothly (without lags and crashes.)
[automerge]1580567125[/automerge]

Apple doesn't sell 32GB iPhone's. To find a 32GB iPhone, you have to find an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus or an even older iPhone. You shouldn't buy an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. Especially don't buy an older iPhone. They are too old to buy at this point.

You don’t get his point.... he said he could survive on a theoretical 32gb iPhone

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I have a 64gb 11 Pro. It’s plenty enough for me - I don’t keep any music on my iPhone, I have an iPod Nano for that. I never fill up my phones.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
More than enough for me. Good to see so many people with 64gig that are happy with it. Seems to be a thing on this forum that 64 gig is barely anything and no one can get by on it.

IMG_1643.png

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That deletes the icon from the Home screen, but it doesn't delete the app documents or data. It's not actually a "delete".. it's more of a "make the user feel better" thing.

I definitely agree its only a "make you feel better" thing. The 1st part apps are using shared core resources that can't be removed. In iOS 10 it would just hide it from the user. In iOS 12 and later the many application files can be removed but the its not going to remove its shared libraries. Apps that are used as a central repository for their framework can't be removed at all (Home, Health, etc), doing so would break 3rd party applications that use them.

Apps like Pages, Numbers, iMovie, etc (not sure if those are preinstalled or not) can be removed for substantial storage savings.

If I go through the process of deleting and reinstalling a 1st party and while running Console and Xcode (stocks.app)....

Application running, its shows /var folder since the data contained within will vary wildly based on usage.

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 2.29.56 PM.png

Delete Application.

IMG_0291.PNG

Console goes on for miles so I just grabbed a couple more obvious portions.

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 3.24.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 3.28.29 PM.png

Application no longer running of course...

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 2.40.20 PM.png

Try to use a universal link from safari (ex. stocks://?symbol=AAPL) to verify the stock.app isn't accessible...

IMG_B365522013E0-1.jpeg

Going to the app store and redownloading the stock app finds no data cached locally...

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 4.40.20 PM.png

Network Activity Log in Xcode sees the app download.

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 2.45.29 PM.png

Console of the downloaded installation.

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 4.19.07 PM.png

Since Xcode crashes every time I try to use Filesystem Activity instrument I wasn't able to tell if it let me see the rmdir/mkdir process and all that.

Its about as good as they can do with so app dependancies and its better than just making the icon disappear.

ActionFigures

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2018
Hell no bro, I have 256 GB and can't do no less than that especially in 2020. Why does Apple even offer 64gb for the pro versions SMH

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I definitely agree its only a "make you feel better" thing. The 1st part apps are using shared core resources that can't be removed. In iOS 10 it would just hide it from the user. In iOS 12 and later the many application files can be removed but the its not going to remove its shared libraries. Apps that are used as a central repository for their framework can't be removed at all (Home, Health, etc), doing so would break 3rd party applications that use them.

Apps like Pages, Numbers, iMovie, etc (not sure if those are preinstalled or not) can be removed for substantial storage savings.

If I go through the process of deleting and reinstalling a 1st party and while running Console and Xcode (stocks.app)....

Application running, its shows /var folder since the data contained within will vary wildly based on usage.

View attachment 891814

Delete Application.

View attachment 891818

Console goes on for miles so I just grabbed a couple more obvious portions.

View attachment 891831
View attachment 891832

Application no longer running of course...

View attachment 891822

Try to use a universal link from safari (ex. stocks://?symbol=AAPL) to verify the stock.app isn't accessible...

View attachment 891858

Going to the app store and redownloading the stock app finds no data cached locally...

View attachment 891848

Network Activity Log in Xcode sees the app download.

View attachment 891819

Console of the downloaded installation.

View attachment 891843

Since Xcode crashes every time I try to use Filesystem Activity instrument I wasn't able to tell if it let me see the rmdir/mkdir process and all that.

Its about as good as they can do with so app dependancies and its better than just making the icon disappear.
Thank you very much for that in-depth explanation, it helps me to better understand the iOS system. Maybe this is why recent bugs end up being such a big deal, if everything is dependent on everything else then it makes sense that the whole system has problems due to a couple issues. It shouldn't be that way; someone once told me "the best way to stop up the drain is to complicate the plumbing", and I totally agree with that quote. The complexity you've explained should never have been allowed to grow to that level. But, I suppose they need that level of dependency in order to have sandboxing as a security measure.

I'm beginning to remember why I love GNU/Linux so much, if any single app has a problem it should not be allowed to take the whole system along for the ride.

Last edited:

Don MC

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Finland
I have an iPhone 11 128GB. Would probably need only the 64, but a 128 will perhaps be easier to sell when the time comes. The price was only 50€ more than the 64, so.
I offload all my photos as soon as I'm at my computer. Then they are saved in my file vault (NAS RAID) and uploaded to Google.

I don't listen to music on my phone and I don't watch movies on it's tiny screen. Its more of a PDA than a multimedia machine to me. I like to take nice pictures, though, and therefore a good camera is important to me.

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
You're welcome. I refuse to use an app for something that can be done via a website. I feel social media and streaming services rob us of time that could be spent on higher pursuits. I loathe chaos and disorder.. and my devices seem to reflect that.

Indeed. I have been thinking about working a strategy around using my devices for some days now, I might just get on doing it - anything that can be done via a website should not have an app on the phone unless it offers some functionality that is not on the website.

That will instantly provide more clarity on the purpose of the phone and what I can do with it. And remove a plethora of distractions and blurred lines. I have reduced a lot of notifications for about two years now, the most important one being email. Anything that could serve to "give me a dopamine boost" is something I have become more aware of and wary of, and that has helped navigating this digital world with incredibly blurred lines today. Your simple technique is bound to help further.

I realise my Mac has exactly the number of apps that I use and need, and I use it for things that can't be done on the phone. And on the Mac I have traditionally avoided using apps for anything that can be done via a website. No reason why I should not do that on the phone.

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield,VA
Well I don’t have a pro, but I answered anyway cause that’s irrelevant lol. No, it’s not enough. I’m deleting apps all the time. Definitely getting more storage next time.
Games mostly

Reactions: max2

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Well I don’t have a pro, but I answered anyway cause that’s irrelevant lol. No, it’s not enough. I’m deleting apps all the time. Definitely getting more storage next time.
Games mostly

Yes, if we are having a lot of games along with moderate other stuff, 64 GB is not what one would be happy with. I get by with 64 GB without a fuss since I do not have too many multi-gigabyte apps.

Reactions: max2

Metamorphoser

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Berlin - Germany
iPhone 11 Pro with 256Gb. Actually 50Gb in use. But the phone is new. Normally I am around 170-190Gb.
Music and movies for travelling and I keep my original photos on the phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.