Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
If im going to use a smart cover?

also, does it have gorilla glass?

webdevfreak

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
I used to have protectors but since they use Gorilla glass i do not. The screen is so much sharper without them. Some people can apply them nicely but I'm kinda clumsy with them. I never had an issue.

I did get the smart case. I love it. Some people might say it adds too much bulk. Mather of preference i guess.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Depends if you have small kids or not. If you have small kids I'd recommend an inexpensive (CLEAR only not matte, anti-glare, or smudge proof) screen protector in case they try to draw on it with a regular marker vs a digital one. Amazon, eBay have them for $6 shipped or less, but be sure to buy from a place that ships inside the U.S. as a lot ship direct from China via slow boat.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I use screen protectors, but switched from Zagg to much less expensive types. The Zagg protectors are quite obvious, even when applied perfectly. I found Shield Guardz on eBay, and use them on my phones and tablets. You can't tell they're on the device, but it's important to take your time installing them.

Do you wear a diamond ring? That'll scratch whatever sort of glass Apple uses on their devices, as will sand. Also, there is a coating on the glass that has been shown to be very susceptible to scratching, although the scratches are less visible than those extending into the glass.

Bottom line is, you can always peel the protector off at a later date, but you can't remove scratches. ;)

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for the feedback.

What if I decide to buy the bamboo bluetooth stylus? It might scratch the screen right?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
What if I decide to buy the bamboo bluetooth stylus? It might scratch the screen right?

Any stylus "might" scratch the screen; say a piece of grit ends up on the stylus tip. Or gets on the inside of the smart cover. Or any number of scenarios.

You'll find no definitive answer to your original question. Some people end up with no scratches on their screens, some people end up with tons of scratches. Whether you choose a screen protector or "go naked" is a judgement call only you can make.

Read the item descriptions of used ipads on cowboom.com and see how many are listed as having scratches on the screen.

Just one note; while the screen may be gorilla glass, you may still scratch the coating and have visible "scratches" without any actual damage to the glass.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Thanks for the feedback.

Don't sweat it. As I mentioned above screen protectors can be had for cheap. Try it out. If you hate it remove and move on.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Don't sweat it. As I mentioned above screen protectors can be had for cheap. Try it out. If you hate it remove and move on.

Agreed, I bought a 3-pack of anti-glare screen protectors last week (for about $5 after shipping) and installed it Friday. By Sunday night I had removed it, since it just made text blurry to the point that it hurt my eyes.

I've had matte screen protectors on all my iPads, from 1 through 4, and the Air is the first one that I've enjoyed just fine without a screen protector.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
IMO they are always needed. less value on resell with a scratch on the screen. now if power support could actually come out with a new one less than 2 months after a new model is out, we'd be set

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
IMO they are always needed. less value on resell with a scratch on the screen. now if power support could actually come out with a new one less than 2 months after a new model is out, we'd be set

The money you waste on screen protectors easily cancels whatever perceived resell benefit you believe they impart.

OP: no, not needed.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Agreed, I bought a 3-pack of anti-glare screen protectors last week (for about $5 after shipping) and installed it Friday. By Sunday night I had removed it, since it just made text blurry to the point that it hurt my eyes.

I've had matte screen protectors on all my iPads, from 1 through 4, and the Air is the first one that I've enjoyed just fine without a screen protector.

Yeah, matte, anti-glare, anti-smuge were great for original iPad and iPad 2 but are a cure worse than the disease on any Retina iPad. I switched to clear.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
The money you waste on screen protectors easily cancels whatever perceived resell benefit you believe they impart.

i disagree. from the average asking prices i saw on craigslist, my $20 screen protector netted me an extra $100

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I've had every generation of iPad and sold them all with flawless screens.
Never used a screen protector but always used a case with a screen cover.
If I'm using the iPad the cover is open. When I'm not the cover is closed.
I can see how a screen could get scratched in a bag or backpack or something but I really can't see scratching it from just using it.
That Gorilla Glass is really pretty tough.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I use screen protectors, but switched from Zagg to much less expensive types. The Zagg protectors are quite obvious, even when applied perfectly. I found Shield Guardz on eBay, and use them on my phones and tablets. You can't tell they're on the device, but it's important to take your time installing them.

Do you wear a diamond ring? That'll scratch whatever sort of glass Apple uses on their devices, as will sand. Also, there is a coating on the glass that has been shown to be very susceptible to scratching, although the scratches are less visible than those extending into the glass.

Bottom line is, you can always peel the protector off at a later date, but you can't remove scratches. ;)

Have you tried the newer Zagg HD screen protectors? I use them on all my devices and they are pretty close to the naked glass feel. I always have the store install, but I have a nice flagship store here and they do a great job, take care of any need to return (like phone swap at Apple store), and even have 20% off for my employer.

----------

I've had every generation of iPad and sold them all with flawless screens.
Never used a screen protector but always used a case with a screen cover.
If I'm using the iPad the cover is open. When I'm not the cover is closed.
I can see how a screen could get scratched in a bag or backpack or something but I really can't see scratching it from just using it.
That Gorilla Glass is really pretty tough.

Doubt the screens are actually flawless, but likely didn't have obvious scratches you could see in normal use. Most anyone's screen they thought was flawless had a ton of those micro-scratches you can see when you hold them up to the light right. Probably just on the coating, but still visible compared to having a perfect screen when I use my Zagg HD.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Have you tried the newer Zagg HD screen protectors? I use them on all my devices and they are pretty close to the naked glass feel. I always have the store install, but I have a nice flagship store here and they do a great job, take care of any need to return (like phone swap at Apple store), and even have 20% off for my employer.

I did two Zagg HD screen protectors on our iPad 4's, and one was better than the previous versions, and the other was MUCH better. They still don't compare to a dry install sheet plastic protector in my eyes. I have one that's in an unopened box if anyone would like it for free. I made the offer before, but no takers..... :confused: CONUS only please, and this is for an iPad 2/3/4, not the Air.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I disagree. Spending a reasonable amount on a screen protector for example £10 to £15 will likely increase the resell value by a much larger margin.

----------

I used to have protectors but since they use Gorilla glass i do not. The screen is so much sharper without them. Some people can apply them nicely but I'm kinda clumsy with them. I never had an issue.

I did get the smart case. I love it. Some people might say it adds too much bulk. Mather of preference i guess.

Again a disagree. If you use a quality screen protector there is no reduction in sharpness.

----------

It's obvious why the text looked blurry. If you had bought a quality screen protector rather then a cheap one you wouldn't have had that problem.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I am using Tech Armors. Which are quality screen protectors IMO. All HD clear. I have Tech Armor for all my devices. Highly recommended. You never know if your screen can get scratched or not. My mom has the GS4. Her nails scratches the screen so now she has a screen protector.

Tech Armor Apple iPad Air (Generation 5) Premium High Definition (HD) Clear Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty [2-PACK] - Retail Packaging
http://amzn.com/B00EL94Z4I

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
United States
I am using Tech Armors. Which are quality screen protectors IMO. All HD clear. I have Tech Armor for all my devices. Highly recommended. You never know if your screen can get scratched or not. My mom has the GS4. Her nails scratches the screen so now she has a screen protector.

Tech Armor Apple iPad Air (Generation 5) Premium High Definition (HD) Clear Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty [2-PACK] - Retail Packaging
http://amzn.com/B00EL94Z4I

Zman, do you have a financial interest in Tech Armor?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I akways use a Power Support crystal film. Not cheap, but when properly applied it is impossible to tell its on there.

The iPad has an oleophobic coating, when it wears off it is pretty ugly.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

Exactly!

Mine goes to the beach, on airplanes, into various bags, other people use it, my students use it all the time and so on. I'm a prime candidate for a screen protector and have been saved by one in the past a few times.

If you just use it at home and it's only you and are careful about your stuff you probably don't need one. If I were using a stylus I'd get one, but that's me.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
1). I know from experience that scratches on the screen will really, really bug me. (Experience from early smartphones)

2). Due to my knowledge of my lack of tolerance for scratches (see #1) I know I would be stressed about leaving my iPad out of a case, would have to be careful laying it down, etc.

Therefore I have all my phones/tablets wrapped in full-body Ghost Armor. There's a kiosk at the local mall and they do a great job and have a lifetime warranty. I used my new iPad for a week before I could get there and have it 'wrapped'. Simply wasn't fun. So now I can lay it down on the table on the patio without worrying that there is some sand/dirt that will scratch the back, I don't worry if my cat jumps up on the table and walks on it (yes, it's happened), etc.

We recently used the Target thing on an old iPad 2 my grandkids were using and got a $200 gift card. When I looked at the Ghost Armor on it the screen protector was scratched. Can't imagine what the screen would have looked like. Peeled off the Ghost Armor and the screen and back were pristine.

For me, it just brings peace of mind so I don't have to even be too careful with my devices. I just enjoy them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.