Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2013
Ah I see, I didnt realize they put out an HD version as well. I may give it a shot then. How are the tempered glass ones? Are they very thick?

I have a tempered glass screen protector on my iPhone, and it was great except for 1 big drawback...

I had to use a button-raiser/sticker-thingy to reach the home button because the glass was too thick

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
United States
I have a tempered glass screen protector on my iPhone, and it was great except for 1 big drawback...

I had to use a button-raiser/sticker-thingy to reach the home button because the glass was too thick

The Spigen nano glas tr on my iPhone 5s does not require a button stick-on.
It's only something like .24 mm thick if I remember correctly.

Insure wish Spigen would produce the same thickness glass protector for my Air and Retina mini.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
Ah I see, I didnt realize they put out an HD version as well. I may give it a shot then. How are the tempered glass ones? Are they very thick?

The Bodyguardz is .4mm thin. So...you can tell it's there, but only bu sight. My iPhone is no heavier and it feels like I don't have a protector on it at all.

I don't know how heavy the glass will be for my iPad. It's bigger, so I assume it will be heavier...I wouldn't think much, though. Good thing is...Bodyguardz has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

----------

Very true point...but I haven't felt the need to put an insert in the home button. Hasn't bothered me too much. To each their own...

----------

The Spigen nano glas tr on my iPhone 5s does not require a button stick-on.
It's only something like .24 mm thick if I remember correctly.

Insure wish Spigen would produce the same thickness glass protector for my Air and Retina mini.

I'm not sure that big of a protector can be made that thin and not break easily...

mike1111

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm not sure that big of a protector can be made that thin and not break easily...
I'm still hoping for a 0.12mm glass screen protector from iloome. Should be possible with their flexible glass. They announced that they are working on a glass screen protector, but AFAIK not if it's a Flex or a normal 0.4mm thick glass...

ilovegoodnugz

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
I use sgp ultra optics for rMini best I both worlds matte and clearer the normal matte protectors. Also got a red rock home button cover and it's the perfect match!

nOliver

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
spigen incredible shield is perfect on my ipad mini retina! I love the matte version.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I am completely careful with my electronics and always have cases with covers on the iPads. Unfortunately, no matter how careful I am, only cleaning the screens with iKlear and clean microfiber towels, I would still get micro surface scratches. I've had my iPad Air for over a month and already can see two micro scratches - can't see them unless holding up to the light and at an angle, but they are there. My last IPad was pretty perfect when I traded for an upgrade. This iPad came with two tiny spots/scratches on the back and now I have the scratches also on the screen.

I am really pretty good at installing screen protectors and put one on this morning. So although the scratches are still underneath, at least I can't see them.

As for the glass screen protectors, I have the Bodyguardz glass protector on my iPhone and love it. Unless someone comes up with a thinner version, I wouldn't want the glass for my iPad. Right now I have the Tech Armor clear. Usually, I'm all about Power Support screen savers but figured I'd try the Tech Armor due to recommendations from this forum along with the PS delayed release. So far, so good with the Tech Armor - installed nicely and absolutely no degradation to the clarity.

Bunnyface

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2014
No one has mentioned the I moshi ivisors!

These are sold at att stores $40 or amazon $30 and they have a ag (anti glare) or xt (crystal clear. They come in black or white to match frame of ipad you have (or could switch up for fun) are guaranteed no bubbles, removable, washable, easily removed and put back on. They look wonderful and I'm just hoping one will fit with my amzer solid white jelly silicone case I just got for my white air. Has anyone heard anything about these or tried these?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I've had every generation of iPad and sold them all with flawless screens.
Never used a screen protector but always used a case with a screen cover.
If I'm using the iPad the cover is open. When I'm not the cover is closed.
I can see how a screen could get scratched in a bag or backpack or something but I really can't see scratching it from just using it.
That Gorilla Glass is really pretty tough.
I always had screenprotectors and cases on my ipads.

About two weeks ago my mini dropped, fell on the screen and slid over rubble.
The protector was destroyed and the screen flawless.
Since then i didnt have the time to get a new screen protector.
It is only used at home and in a safe office enviroment. The kensington case is always closed when its idle.
Well I just noticed the first scratch that I can even feel with my nail.

I am amazed about how easily this scratches.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I always had screenprotectors and cases on my ipads.

About two weeks ago my mini dropped, fell on the screen and slid over rubble.
The protector was destroyed and the screen flawless.
Since then i didnt have the time to get a new screen protector.
It is only used at home and in a safe office enviroment. The kensington case is always closed when its idle.
Well I just noticed the first scratch that I can even feel with my nail.

I am amazed about how easily this scratches.

That's why I always use screen protectors. I had a small tool fly out of my hands and landed straight down on my iPad 2 screen and put a nick in the screen protector. The screen protector took the brunt.

singjai

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
If you decide on a screen protector, get a high quality glass one like spigen. The clarity is amazing and you soon forget you have a screen protector because it feels just like the screen. They even add an oleophobic coating. I had a plastic protector on my ipad 4 since it came out and i just took it off yesterday. The difference is so much better. The reason i say get glass is because i have one on my gs4 and once you go there, you'll never go back to plastic.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I bought a glass screen protector on ebay for $12 and it is perfect. Easy to install, complete clarity, easy to wipe off fingerprints, and haven't had any scratches.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Kind of in the minority here, but I only used a screen protector on my first iPhone. All iPads and iPhones since have not had them. I am relatively careful with my screens, and none have scratches.

Also, I always have my iPads in some type of folio case. Mainly for the stand aspect of the case, but they do keep the screens safer too. The screens are just so nice when they are clean and uncovered. . . .

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I'v recently purchased my iPad Mini Retina and I'm debating whether or not to put a screen protecter on it. I'll probably only use the iPad at home and plan to keep it for three or four years (at least), so I like to have some protection for the device.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I put a spigen plastic matte anti fingerprint shield on my air as soon as I unwrapped it. The screen still feels too plasticky for my liking so in a week or two will be replacing it with a flexible glass one like the iloome screenmate or spigen glas.t for that glass 'feel'. The iloome is much cheaper here in the uk than the spigen, anyone compared them?

I have used the spigen ultra clear on my 4s and replaced every 9 months to a year since and it's is still perfect underneath. It's an essential accessory as long as you get a decent one.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I used to put a Zagg InvisibleShield HD on my Air...and it's great...can't beat the warranty. However, I out a Bodyguardz Pure on my Air and I won't go back to plastic. Doesn't add bulk at all. Kinda have to get used to the button, but I have. I had a Pure on my 5S, but recently went with Zagg a Glass and it's the best glass I've used (after using Spigen & Bodyguardz as we'll). If Zagg comes out with one for the Air...I just may have to go with it! Zagg's free lifetime replacement goes to their Glass product, too! Unheard of with other companies (both Spigen & Bodyguardz charges a discounted price to replace their glass products).

I never go without a screen protector as I sell my products to upgrade every couple years. :)

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I use Moshi iVisor XT, coupled with apple smart case and I have a lightweight full-coverage solution.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Interesting. If I didn't know any better I would think that most people have a screen protector on their iPad. Yet all the iPads I have encountered so far, none had a screen protector.

My guesses are that people who don't bother with a screen protector on an iPad are not likely to frequent this forum, or not inclined to take the time to respond to this thread.

I never used one on any of my iPads. I sold an iPad 3 last year. It screen didn't have a single scratch. I have an iPhone 5 without a screen protector. I have been pretty careful with it. So far, it has no scratch either. I would think that it's a lot more likely for me to scratch my iPhone screen than my iPad's, so if I manage to keep my iPhone screen for the last 1.5 years without a scratch, chances are I don't need one on my iPad.

I love the feel with the screen without a protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.