Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
United States
I put the Spigen glas Nano tr screen protector on my 5S and simply love it. It's way better than all the other screen film protectors I've used through various generations of iPhones and iPads.

Do you think Spigen will release the nano glas tr for the iPad Air also?

mbp17xxx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Sydney
no if you are using a portfolio case or a sleeve.

If its exposed it will do scratch, my wife's ipad screen has scratches on it

tandeh

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
I put the Spigen glas Nano tr screen protector on my 5S and simply love it. It's way better than all the other screen film protectors I've used through various generations of iPhones and iPads.

Do you think Spigen will release the nano glas tr for the iPad Air also?

I'm thinking of getting this, seems like the same thing only cheaper:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MADBITS-GENU...tempered+glass

anyone tried the above i may go for the second one but don't understand the techy description (PET film? etc)

problem is that i've never heard of madbits and can't find reviews, anyone tried them on any device?

Tempered glass screen protection for Ipad Air being discussed here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1666963/

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
No, I just only use their screen protectors for all of my devices and recommend them in these kind of threads or where it applies.

I second this recommendation. I used the same protector on my Mini from Tech Armor for a whole year and I sold it with the same protector on it! I'm using a TechArmor on my iPad Air now, and it's truly flawless.

They make great protectors that don't break the bank by any means. A fraction of the cost compared to most in-store screen protectors, and the same quality, if not better. *coughZAGGcough* ;)

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I actually use tech armor on my samsung s4 too and its feels great to the touch and crystal clear. So i have ordered a tech armor for my ipad air.

Dougweller

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
I actually use tech armor on my samsung s4 too and its feels great to the touch and crystal clear. So i have ordered a tech armor for my ipad air.

:I'm considering Tech Armor but will it work ok with the Smart cover and a back cover? I've asked them if it will work on my Samsung S4 which has a surround cover, but no response - I guess it depends on how thick it is.
Doug

Dougweller

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
:I'm considering Tech Armor but will it work ok with the Smart cover and a back cover? I've asked them if it will work on my Samsung S4 which has a surround cover, but no response - I guess it depends on how thick it is.
Doug

Just realised, I'm talking about the Premium Ballistic GlassScreen Protector - maybe that's not the one you have.
Doug

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Are they necessary? No. But I prefer the insurance they give me, having had a screen get scratched by something trapped between the Smart Cover and the screen.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have had screen protectors on my iPads and always choose the Power Support crystal clear as they are as close to nothing - absolutely no reduction in clarity. I've found that even though I am very careful with my electronics, the screen will develop itty bitty surface scratches. That's even with all the care and only wiping with a clean microfiber cloth and iKlear. That just bugs me personally so I choose to use the protectors. I usually trade in my iPad every two years and have gotten the top trade in value at Best Buy. But honestly the sales person never looked that closely at the screen so I doubt my trade in would have been affected with the minuscule surface scratches.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I love the Zagg HD. Fingerprints, sure...but not as many as just the screen. I clean my screen once a week & I'm good. ...and I have kids! ;)

I would LOVE to put a tempered glass protector on my iPad...but I'm not spending $70 on one. Spigen and Bodyguardz both have protectors for the Air & Mini. My wife has a Spigen Slim on her iPhone 5 and I have a Bodyguardz on my iPhone 5S. LOVE them both. Spigen slim is thinner, but prone to breaking. I think the regular Spigen and Bodyguardz at .40 mm thickness are more sturdy. Spigen has questionable customer service...

That said, Bodyguardz is going to have a Black Friday weekend sale...if the discount is right...I just may put a glass protector on my Air yet!

ejisfun

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Personally I don't recommend the glass or wet install protectors...the advantage of dry films is that if you get dust during application (or if you notice one later), then you can lift it up with a piece of tape and get it out. It's much more difficult to do this with a wet install (and once it's cured you can't at all), and you can't do this at all with the glass ones.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I used to have protectors but since they use Gorilla glass i do not. The screen is so much sharper without them. Some people can apply them nicely but I'm kinda clumsy with them. I never had an issue.

I did get the smart case. I love it. Some people might say it adds too much bulk. Mather of preference i guess.

I agree on the screen protector thing. They are such a pain to get on right and no matter what they say, they DO degrade the image quality to some extent. I'm not bothering this time.

Codyormoe

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Western Mass
I always use screen protectors, I've done so many on so many different devices that I have the application process down to a science. I never have any issues with lint, dust or any other debris getting trapped. For me, the key to a perfect application is doing it when no one else is around, (people and animals stir up the air) and good lighting. Canned air comes in handy too when there's just one speck on the screen and you don't want to risk smudging an otherwise perfect screen by wiping again. One quick blast with the air takes care of any issues 99% of the time.

I wouldn't even rip the plastic off my Air box until I was home and all set up to put on the screen protector the second it was out of the box. But in all fairness I should say I have OCD, so just the thought of a scratch on my screen makes me twitchy.

enkrates

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
For me it's necessary, my iPad 2 has so many scratches that it bothers me whenever I use it.

Jasonkrick

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2013
Screen protectors, imo, are a personal choice and lifestyle dependent.

I have never used a screen protector on my iPhones or iPads. I am very rough with them as I do not care nor want things to 'own' me and control my behavior.

To sound like a hypocrite, I do have a protective backing on my iPads as I always life them onto table tops etc.

But we are talking about the front glass, right?

My iPhone goes in my pocket, briefcase, backpack etc. My iPads goes through the same experiences sans the pocket part.

None of my iPhones or iPads have ever had a scratch on the front glass. No nicks either.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The money you waste on screen protectors easily cancels whatever perceived resell benefit you believe they impart.

OP: no, not needed.

Excellent point. Especially if the protector is glass.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I agree on the screen protector thing. They are such a pain to get on right and no matter what they say, they DO degrade the image quality to some extent. I'm not bothering this time.

I have to say I disagree. If you use good quality screen protectors they DO not degrade image quality at all. I've got a Tech Armor screen protector on mine and I've compared it to one without a screen protector and there is no difference what so ever.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The money you waste on screen protectors easily cancels whatever perceived resell benefit you believe they impart.

For me it's well worth $20 to just simply not have to worry about the screen or the coating getting scratched in use, transport, or even when cleaning. The added resale is a plus.

If someone feels otherwise, that's fine, go with what makes you happy.

Blanket statements like that quoted above are specious though and smack of confirmation bias. Maybe true if you hold onto the device for four years but otherwise demonstrably false just by skimming sold listings on eBay. Scratched screens vs flawless screens easily net more than $20 less to the seller on average. Even the trade in services (lowest cash in pocket, but simple/easy) show $15-20 differences. Look at Amazon trade in on ipad4 for scratched/unscratched.

mrdoeboix12

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
You need to find the ones that are "Ultra HD" or whatever else they market them as. I had one on my last iPad and my current phone and I can hardly tell they are there. They do pick up finger prints a tiny bit more than the original screen itself but its easy to wipe off. Ive tried some of those "full body armor" companies like Zagg and their screen protectors are always... friction-y? Lol

Planning to get some for my Mini and wife's Air as soon as I can figure out what brand I previously purchased them from. :rolleyes:

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
You need to find the ones that are "Ultra HD" or whatever else they market them as. I had one on my last iPad and my current phone and I can hardly tell they are there. They do pick up finger prints a tiny bit more than the original screen itself but its easy to wipe off. Ive tried some of those "full body armor" companies like Zagg and their screen protectors are always... friction-y? Lol

Planning to get some for my Mini and wife's Air as soon as I can figure out what brand I previously purchased them from. :rolleyes:

The Zagg HD is nothing like the original. I HATED the original...but the HD has been impressive. Much less frictiony...more like the glass. ;)

However, with the Bodyguardz sale this weekend, I will be putting a tempered glass protector on my Air...excited about that!

mrdoeboix12

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
The Zagg HD is nothing like the original. I HATED the original...but the HD has been impressive. Much less frictiony...more like the glass. ;)

However, with the Bodyguardz sale this weekend, I will be putting a tempered glass protector on my Air...excited about that!

Ah I see, I didnt realize they put out an HD version as well. I may give it a shot then. How are the tempered glass ones? Are they very thick?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.