Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you thinking about switching to Windows?

• Yes

Votes: 74 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 136 55.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 34 13.9%

• Total voters

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
On a personal note, I feel like Apple has been super greedy and not innovative enough to justify their price hikes.

With the recent MacBook Pro Late 2016 release I was gutted with disappointment on this refresh.

Stupid and simple things like not being able to plug in your iPhone without an adapter...

There's been a declining trend with Apple product innovation lately and it's disappointing. I'm considering heading over to Windows and spending my money on more reasonable products.

Staying with Apple scares me and makes me feel trapped, the future outlook is overpriced product updates and lack of innovation that attracted me to Apple.

It's like a marriage gone bad, Apple used to be charming but now they're greedy and I want to leave them.

This is why Steve made Apple great, and this is why Apple is now losing:

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
On a personal note, I feel like Apple has been super greedy and not innovative enough to justify their price hikes.

With the recent MacBook Pro Late 2016 release I was gutted with disappointment on this refresh.

Stupid and simple things like not being able to plug in your iPhone without an adapter...

There's been a declining trend with Apple product innovation lately and it's disappointing. I'm considering heading over to Windows and spending my money on more reasonable products.

Staying with Apple scares me and makes me feel trapped, the future outlook is overpriced product updates and lack of innovation that attracted me to Apple.

It's like a marriage gone bad, Apple used to be charming but now they're greedy and I want to leave them.

This is why Steve made Apple great, and this is why Apple is now losing:

I'd recommend waiting until Q1 2017 (ie 2 or 3 months) if you're considering taking the leap: the new cycle of Nvidia and Intel, combined, really are a massive leap forward.

The problem isn't how mediocre the new MacBook Pro line up looks today - by this time next year, the difference is going to be absurd. The $700-$900 category of 2017 Christmas laptops for Windows will have more grunt than Apple's $3500 offering.

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
I'd recommend waiting until Q1 2017 (ie 2 or 3 months) if you're considering taking the leap: the new cycle of Nvidia and Intel, combined, really are a massive leap forward.

The problem isn't how mediocre the new MacBook Pro line up looks today - by this time next year, the difference is going to be absurd. The $700-$900 category of 2017 Christmas laptops for Windows will have more grunt than Apple's $3500 offering.

I really want to, but I'm tired of waiting....

I honestly expected a refresh last fall and it didn't happen. "Wait a bit longer" they said, so I waited and waited and waited.

Finally, the refresh came and it was awful. I'm not sure I can stomach that long wait again only to be disappointed with another stupid release like the garbage from last week.

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
I really want to, but I'm tired of waiting....

I honestly expected a refresh last fall and it didn't happen. "Wait a bit longer" they said, so I waited and waited and waited.

Finally, the refresh came and it was awful. I'm not sure I can stomach that long wait again only to be disappointed with another stupid release like the garbage from last week.

I don't mean waiting for the mystery bag that will be Apple's next release, I mean waiting 3 months before taking the Windows route: these things are happening, and there's a roadmap, unlike the guessing game with Apple.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
No. I am forced to use Windows for some stuff at work. It's as awful as it was when I switched to Mac.

My experience is vastly different than yours. Windows used to be bad, but Windows 10 is solid and just works, easily as stable as OS X is these days. Ironically, since I do some iOS development at work I am replacing a Dell Windows laptop with a new 15" MBP. But at home, I am recently replaced my aging iMac with a Windows machine. Had to replace a couple of programs that were OS X only, but I have been happy with the change.

Cansalt

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
Oakville
I never thought i would ever consider switching away from Apple. Never. But with a family of 4 with 4 laptops, 4 ipads, one desktop hub. All in need of an upgrade. Ive been waiting for a mac Air refresh and a mac mini refresh. Forever! To keep in the Apple ecosystem. I have to pay $3000 per laptop!!! To get a decent spec. Hello chromebooks on the low end and some Razor or Alienware on the high end. Good job Tim Cook! Btw i had to sell my mac bookpro 17" for parts, 2 years ago due to overheated failed motherboard.

Apple IS doomed!

grimakis

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2016
I mean, I use both. I don't think I'd ever go back to a Windows laptop unless my budget got real tight. Well, Mac doesn't have any reasonable contenders in the ultrabook market, but the MBP is still the gold standard for 15" laptops.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I have a Skylake PC workstation with 6700K @ 4.6Ghz. But I prefer macOS on notebooks. I'll stick with 2014 MBP until I see the next revisions and when peripherals have almost universally embraced new connectors.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I'm not ready to do that yet, but I'm up to "definitely thinking about it". In terms of hardware, there are probably a couple dozen PC laptops I could get that I would find unconditionally and totally preferable to the MBP.

As I've said: If I could buy a Mac OS X license for $1k, and run MacOS on a generic PC laptop, I would do that. I would have a better experience and spend less money overall, because a $1k cheaper PC laptop would have significantly better specs for me.

Only reason I'm getting another MBP is because I have so many Mac-only things I rely on, and people here have convinced me that I need to get rid of those and move on.

Reactions: SackJabbit

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
My experience is vastly different than yours. Windows used to be bad, but Windows 10 is solid and just works, easily as stable as OS X is these days. Ironically, since I do some iOS development at work I am replacing a Dell Windows laptop with a new 15" MBP. But at home, I am recently replaced my aging iMac with a Windows machine. Had to replace a couple of programs that were OS X only, but I have been happy with the change.

Stability is one thing. A reasonable user interface is another. Mac has a million little things built-in that make life easier - scrolling background windows, capturing screen rectangles to clipboard with a key combination, renaming open files, great native pdf support, quick view, native tcsh, etc.

boilingDream

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2016
I am considering both Windows and Linux. In fact I just installed Ubuntu on my Air, and after a few tweaks (~ 20 minutes work) it runs smooth and looks better than MacOS.

And Windows 10 is not that bad. There are a few annoyances, but on the other hand MS Office products are much better on Windows than on MacOS. I use both Word and OneNote a lot, so for me this matters.

The two main reasons why I'm dissatisifed with apple is:
1. Diminishing quality control and cutback on functionality. Apple have been removing functionality from and dumbing down their own apps, like Photo et al. iOS and MacOS has become more buggy.
2. Stagnant product development. MacOS updates are getting more and more boring. New functionality feels gimmicky and underwhelming, like Siri for Mac. Stale/inelegant graphic design of the OS and machines. The new Macbook Pro did not get a redesigned chassis, just a slim-down. The industrial design is getting very long in the tooth.

What I will miss from MacOS is actually nothing made by Apple, but well made third party apps. Let's hope they will follow as more people make the switch.

Reactions: raqball

H1Supreme

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
No. Well, not fully. I do run Windows for gaming, and I write software for Windows. But, have always preferred OSX for everything I can possibly use it for. That said, I've installed a few Linux distros in VirtualBox to test. So fare Ubuntu Mate (looks like old Ubuntu) is my favorite. I have it in a VM with 2GB ram and a 50GB drive. It is surprisingly snappy for such little resources.

As I've said: If I could buy a Mac OS X license for $1k, and run MacOS on a generic PC laptop, I would do that. I would have a better experience and spend less money overall, because a $1k cheaper PC laptop would have significantly better specs for me.

This is so spot on. I've said this for years. I wouldn't pay $1k, but I would pay twice what Windows Pro cost, no problem. They could just release without support or anything. Drivers would get wrote at lightning speed. I mean, hackintoshes are dead easy to build these days (currently typing this on one), and are very stable. As long as you get a compatible mobo and graphics card, most everything else will work.

But, Apple are pricks and will never do that. They just sent me my developer license renewal e-mail. Pretty sure I'm going to let it expire. Which is a real pity.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I perfectly happy with this release. I have a Surface with Windows 10. It's ok, just not all that happening for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking2

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I am considering both Windows and Linux. In fact I just installed Ubuntu on my Air, and after a few tweaks (~ 20 minutes work) it runs smooth and looks better than MacOS.

And Windows 10 is not that bad. There are a few annoyances, but on the other hand MS Office products are much better on Windows than on MacOS. I use both Word and OneNote a lot, so for me this matters.

The two main reasons why I'm dissatisifed with apple is:
1. Diminishing quality control and cutback on functionality. Apple have been removing functionality from and dumbing down their own apps, like Photo et al. iOS and MacOS has become more buggy.
2. Stagnant product development. MacOS updates are getting more and more boring. New functionality feels gimmicky and underwhelming, like Siri for Mac. Stale/inelegant graphic design of the OS and machines. The new Macbook Pro did not get a redesigned chassis, just a slim-down. The industrial design is getting very long in the tooth.

What I will miss from MacOS is actually nothing made by Apple, but well made third party apps. Let's hope they will follow as more people make the switch.

.OneNote and Word 2016 are fine on MacOS, good luck running those on Ubuntu.

1. Are you new to Mac? There have always been bugs, same with any OS. I would say that, if anything MacOS has been relatively stable the past 4 itterations and I haven't had a kernel panic since 10.7

2. MacOS updates are annual now, so you are actually getting more features than the 2 year updates if you combine 2 releases. People seem to forget that one. Short memories and rose tinted spectacles.

Did you create an account just to shill Ubuntu. No Mac user wants to install that crap

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Think I am out and Windows bound.. I've waited about 4 months on this release and meh.... I had my heart and cash set on a new Macbook so I struggled along with a variety of different devices trying to make it to release day.. Then came the event and my want wavered. Went to Apple store the other day to play with one and my want wavered even more...

Still not 100% sure what I am going to do.. I'll head to Best Buy and play with a few Win machines and go from there. I am buying something next week and it's starting to look less likely that it will be a new Macbook Pro...

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
i've never used windows so it would be impossible for me to go back to it. have only used macs. i won't go to windows for the first time.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
No. I have a long history of dislike for MS, down to telling their recruiters numerous times - not if they were the last company on earth. So at the very least - not yet.

Even with that, I have to give them credit for the Surface line, even moreso as they are showing interesting products I would have expected (and did expect) to come from Apple. I also have to give them props as Win10 sucks a lot less than the atrocity that was Windows 8.

I won't be moving to Windows any time soon, although I do run some Windows VMs for work.
I was completely prepared to buy a near-maxed new MBP with 32GB of RAM and 1-2TB of storage, but the new models are underwhelming for my use - part of which is due to Intel, others down to choices made by Apple.

I have already put my $ where my mouth is, and am typing this from my new-to-me 2015 15" MBP with dGPU, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD, purchased for ~1/2 the price of a similarly equipped new-but-not-significantly-improved-in-ways-I-care-about 2016 MBP 15".

I will wait to see what future models bring, as well as how the Surface lineup develops. I can get by another year or so on the 2015 while hoping that Apple will release a machine I'd be willing to pay the 'Apple Tax' on.

It's hard to say where things go in the future now - I need to present nowadays more than code, while I have a financial investment in various OS X software as well. It's possible in time I move to a Surface line product, potentially running Linux with VMs for OS X and Windows, assuming hardware compatibility is decent there. It's possible Apple releases a product of interest to me, in which case I'd buy it at up to a reasonable Apple tax. It's possible I wait to see how the Think series Yogas develop, or the X1 or XPS lines - although unsure which OS I'd be running on them natively.

We'll see. I am not bothered much by the ports reduction (although yes, it is annoying, as I often am walking by the CEO's office and get pulled in to 'show something fast' and if I don't have a dongle in my pocket - sorry, I use Apple due to it mostly 'just works,' but let me go grab my special dongle.. ) , I am bothered by chasing thin-ness over performance on a Pro system, while having the audacity to raise prices for no performance gains, and continuing to charge ungodly prices for RAM and storage (go price and 'upgrade' a Think product currently and check the RAM and SSD upgrade pricing - better than retail, not -5x retail cost).

We'll see if they correct in the future, hopefully in the short-term future, and go from there.
Drop pricing a bit, drop 'upgrade' pricing on RAM and SSD options, and offer 32GB + CPU refreshes and I'll be back in line. If not, tough decisions ahead.

Reactions: iphonologicus

boilingDream

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2016
.OneNote and Word 2016 are fine on MacOS, good luck running those on Ubuntu.

1. Are you new to Mac? There have always been bugs, same with any OS. I would say that, if anything MacOS has been relatively stable the past 4 itterations and I haven't had a kernel panic since 10.7

2. MacOS updates are annual now, so you are actually getting more features than the 2 year updates if you combine 2 releases. People seem to forget that one. Short memories and rose tinted spectacles.

Did you create an account just to shill Ubuntu. No Mac user wants to install that crap

I have been using Macs since 2008. While OneNote and Word are available for Mac, they work better and have a more polished interface on Windows.

I haven't tried Ubuntu for years, remembered it as unpolished and unstable. Installed it a couple of days ago and was pleasntly surprised. When did you try it last?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.