Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you thinking about switching to Windows?

• Yes

Votes: 74 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 136 55.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 34 13.9%

• Total voters

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I have been using Macs since 2008. While OneNote and Word are available for Mac, they work better and have a more polished interface on Windows.

I haven't tried Ubuntu for years, remembered it as unpolished and unstable. Installed it a couple of days ago and was pleasntly surprised. When did you try it last?

Upgraded a little unix box we keep for server monitoring to 16.10 with unity 8, their 'windows 10' knockoff interface. It's like any other Linux, nice and fast but looks plug ugly. The latest update makes it look like a Chinese knockoff of a windows OS.

I run OneNote on my Mac, iPad Pro and Windows 10 at my office, looks the same but runs best on the iPad Pro or surface. I especially like unlocking encrypted sheets with Touch ID as my password is fairly long.

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
My experience is vastly different than yours. Windows used to be bad, but Windows 10 is solid and just works, easily as stable as OS X is these days. Ironically, since I do some iOS development at work I am replacing a Dell Windows laptop with a new 15" MBP. But at home, I am recently replaced my aging iMac with a Windows machine. Had to replace a couple of programs that were OS X only, but I have been happy with the change.

I agree and it's funny, I never understood how people complain about Windows. If you know how to use a computer than both OS work just fine. MacOS seems to be easier for older users though.

I've used XP and 7, never had issues with them. And I actually like their file organization better.

Pound for pound, they seem on par these days. There's nothing in either OS that is leaps better than the other.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
On a personal note, I feel like Apple has been super greedy and not innovative enough to justify their price hikes.

With the recent MacBook Pro Late 2016 release I was gutted with disappointment on this refresh.

Stupid and simple things like not being able to plug in your iPhone without an adapter...

There's been a declining trend with Apple product innovation lately and it's disappointing. I'm considering heading over to Windows and spending my money on more reasonable products.

Staying with Apple scares me and makes me feel trapped, the future outlook is overpriced product updates and lack of innovation that attracted me to Apple.

It's like a marriage gone bad, Apple used to be charming but now they're greedy and I want to leave them.

This is why Steve made Apple great, and this is why Apple is now losing:

WOW! That tape is amazing. Jobs is amazing.

MattSeven

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
2 laptops and 1 desktop run Windows at work. They all freeze and require app restarts and/or rebooting. I've had a Mac Air since 2013 - never had a system freeze, never had to restart an app, never had to reboot. Windows machines seem to need replacement or major updates in 2-3 years. Mac systems I own work fine as-is 4-5 years later.

I started in the IT field in 1993, and have seen every version of Windows. I was even certified in several versions of Windows. XP wasn't bad, but all the others were crap in my experience. Currently, Every Single Day in my job I have to use Windows and it requires app restarts. We can say the apps or drivers are bad, but this has been a consistent Windows experience since 1993.

Reactions: frank33v

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
2 laptops and 1 desktop run Windows at work. They all freeze and require app restarts and/or rebooting. I've had a Mac Air since 2013 - never had a system freeze, never had to restart an app, never had to reboot. Windows machines seem to need replacement or major updates in 2-3 years. Mac systems I own work fine as-is 4-5 years later.

If you are having that many freezes, then you need to fix the issues. I run both Macs and Windows with no serious issues, as do millions of people around the world.

And anyone with a recent Core i series processor the last 5-6 years can run Windows fine - same as Macs.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
A question, in case I do make the leap to Windows - what is the situation with viruses and malware? Is it as bad as it used to be? What anti-virus software is recommended or do Windows updates themselves address this?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
A question, in case I do make the leap to Windows - what is the situation with viruses and malware? Is it as bad as it used to be? What anti-virus software is recommended or do Windows updates themselves address this?

Its only as bad as you make it. Don't click on strange emails or download unknown files. Few are forcibly given a virus, its almost always because someone does something dumb.

IMO, Symantec is still one of the best, though not the cheapest.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I agree and it's funny, I never understood how people complain about Windows. If you know how to use a computer than both OS work just fine. MacOS seems to be easier for older users though.

I've used XP and 7, never had issues with them. And I actually like their file organization better.

Pound for pound, they seem on par these days. There's nothing in either OS that is leaps better than the other.
I use Windows every day at work and one of the reason I even tried Macs was the ability to run it via VM Ware Fusion/bootcamp. I also got a "free" Toshiba convertible PC laptop in February, so I am very familiar with Windows. However, I still prefer my 2011 MBP to my new Toshiba.

I prefer Macs. It is a strong preference for not rebooting for updates all the time, running and updating virus software, the fact that Final Cut runs faster on 16gb than Adobe Premier Pro runs on 32GB. There is also the privacy issues with Windows that requires a lot of time to turn off. Then there is the fact that I use iOS devices and the continuity features are incredible.

All that being said, I actually considered the Surface Book before I pre-ordered the MBP. For my needs they were close enough in price, but I went with the OS I preferred the most. The only reason I even considered going to a Windows laptop was Pen input for Photoshop, but there are too many trade offs for my tastes right now. I still have Windows on my iMac and Toshiba, but I think I will skip it on the new MBP. I used to use it with work, but they have their own VM solutions now, so I just need fast internet. For my needs, there is nothing I can't run on my Mac that I can run on Windows, but the opposite isn't true.

Reactions: zokstar

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Microsoft isn't interested in privacy or intuitive GUI. My business needs to be secure.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I never thought i would ever consider switching away from Apple. Never. But with a family of 4 with 4 laptops, 4 ipads, one desktop hub. All in need of an upgrade. Ive been waiting for a mac Air refresh and a mac mini refresh. Forever! To keep in the Apple ecosystem. I have to pay $3000 per laptop!!! To get a decent spec. Hello chromebooks on the low end and some Razor or Alienware on the high end. Good job Tim Cook! Btw i had to sell my mac bookpro 17" for parts, 2 years ago due to overheated failed motherboard.

Apple IS doomed!

You have a bunch of outdated entry-level Macs but only the top of the line $3000 new models will do to replace them? :rolleyes:

This is the exact kind of post that encapsulates most of the whining here. 'No 32GB RAM, no GTX 1060? I can't be arsed to do my work on something that low spec. I'll just keep working on my 2010 MBP for another few years.'

Beer Wig

Suspended
Nov 6, 2016
On a personal note, I feel like Apple has been super greedy and not innovative enough to justify their price hikes.

I keep saying this but I'll say it again. It used to be you payed a premium for an Apple product and had a 1st class experience - these days it's stand-by only.

In no particular order:

1) A price increase for a worthless gimmick touch-bar

2) Crappy dual core processors across all 13" models.

3) No ram bumps across all models.

4) The same storage on high end models as last gen despite the price hike.

5) Terrible I/O (no SD or USB type A).

6) The loss of motherf--king magsafe!

7) Losing the Audio Jack on the iPhone.

8) A rotting ecosystem of products (mini, iMac, Mac Pro)

9) The yearly rush of iOS & OSX updates that arrive broken & shoddy - in need of more development time.
All of these decisions have undermined the experience of using Apple products and therefore the Apple brand itself. You know what would be impressive for a high end macbook pro? Having a CPU w/6 cores. Tim Cook is truly the new Steve Ballmer.

http://www.inc.com/steve-blank/tim-cook-steve-ballmer-visionary-ceo-replacement.html

My eye is going towards this:
http://www.razerzone.com/eu-en/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Actually, number 4 is wrong, 1TB was the old max, 2 TB is the new max. But you are right, the max price of the last gen was $3,300 and now its $4,300, despite negligible changes.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I use Windows 10 daily on 5 different systems. It is much worse than MacOS. On several of them, the start menu randomly completely stops working. Even a DISM command won't fix it. Every time they release a major version, I get a lot of crashes and issues. Sometimes my devices completely fail. Search for Windows 10 Anniversary Update webcam. Windows 10 is a pain to work with. Windows 7 was the last good Microsoft OS.

I have the occasional glitch with MacOS, but I have had FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR more issues with Windows 10 than I have has with Macs since 2008 when I first started using them.
[doublepost=1478488433][/doublepost]
Actually, number 4 is wrong, 1TB was the old max, 2 TB is the new max. But you are right, the max price of the last gen was $3,300 and now its $4,300, despite negligible changes.

Um. These are not standard SATA SSDs. Comparable drives running on PCIe are about $1 per GB still. Especially at the 2TB range. The additional price is not a surprise to me with 2TB of SSD storage.

Reactions: Uofmtiger

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I keep saying this but I'll say it again. It used to be you payed a premium for an Apple product and had a 1st class experience - these days it's stand-by only.

In no particular order:

1) A price increase for a worthless gimmick touch-bar

2) Crappy dual core processors across all 13" models.

3) No ram bumps across all models.

4) The same storage on high end models as last gen despite the price hike.

5) Terrible I/O (no SD or USB type A).

6) The loss of motherf--king magsafe!

7) Losing the Audio Jack on the iPhone.

8) A rotting ecosystem of products (mini, iMac, Mac Pro)

9) The yearly rush of iOS & OSX updates that arrive broken & shoddy - in need of more development time.​

1) you've ever used it, so not fair to declare it useless yet. Seems to me that it will be great for certain apps, and gimmicky in others. Looks very useful in iMessage and the Office 365 apps. Also Xcode.

2) i bought two 15s, so...

3) fully loaded, still more RAM than I've ever needed. And given that they have the world's fastest SSDs, the speed penalty for exceeding physical memory should be comparatively low.

4) I ordered a 2TB drive, which was not available before.

5) ports are faster and more flexible than previous gen. Solved the sd card problem with a sandisk adapter.

6) true. I backed the kickstarter. Hope it turns out ok.

7) I use master and dynamic Bluetooth headset, so I don't care.

8) doesn't affect your experience if you are buying a laptop

9) hasn't been my experience. Been using OS X since tiger and various versions have had problems at first, but it hasn't been getting worse in my experience.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I use windows 10 everyday. It's actually pretty good although I do get the occasional hiccup. I prefer Macs because they look nicer and iMessage. Otherwise both platforms get the job done almost equally.

Last edited:
Reactions: raqball

Beer Wig

Suspended
Nov 6, 2016
[Just about everything is fine to me - I must defend your criticisms with the fulfillment of my subjective needs]

Hey - guess what?

It's great you think the macbook 'pro's work for your needs - lucky you. For a lot of people they don't.

That's a harsh reality (apparently) you should learn to live with. Just like the people weighing whether this is the last straw and they need to abandon Apple all together (or look for a last gen model).

As for your apologist whitewashing:

1) Any sensible 'pro' would go for a quad core processor or a ram increase on a 13" model before wanting a touch-bar therefore the touch-bar is a gimmick that appeals to the tech illiterates that don't really understand what's most important to sustain the value of the machine over the course of its life. The touch-bar should be just another basic feature like the track pad or iPhone thumb ID included at no extra cost - it's simply a benefit of buying Apple.

2) I know that you can't distinguish between what works for you and what would be best for most. I personally am writing this on a 15" mbp - that doesn't mean the specs on the 13" line aren't garbage. Dual cores are insufficient for pro apps, the 13" models not offering the option undermines the value in the line itself. 13" users have a high starting point & an increased price to deal with and they get the same number of cores as previous gen models. Where's the value in that price hike? There is none.

3) Again, I know that you can't distinguish between what works for you and what would be best for others. 8gb of ram on 13" models (that's soldered) limits the life of the machine and is the same as previous generations. Which begs the question why would someone pay more for key features that are the same? It's also tiny for 'pro' apps. On the high end there are plenty of people screaming they wanted a 32gb option so again it's not about you.

4) 15" models maintaining the same base storage for an increased price has nothing to do with what option you decided on. Your point is off topic and irrelevant (i.e. a red herring).

5) The I/O sucks precisely because it isn't flexible. What's flexible is being able to accommodate what people need natively. Relying on users to buy and add more stuff is the opposite of flexibility. The I/O is not diverse. The ports are narrowly focused - OBVIOUSLY. Furthermore some of those usb-c ports don't even run at the high speeds promised which then begs the question why not add standard ports since Apple is delivering under-performing usb-c ports.

6) Magsafe is a key feature that has probably saved every person an accident over the course of owning their laptop at least once - to remove it is unjustified and therefore stupid.

7) Again (like most fanboys) you have an inability to think beyond yourself. Bluetooth is more expensive and lower quality than wired connections (by definition). There is also the issue of battery life. Once again, what works for you is not best for everyone. Should I argue that simply because I use a wired connection with superior audio and no worry of battery life Bluetooth is unneeded? It's a non-sequitur.

8) A rotting ecosystem - of course - effects buying a laptop because you are committing to that ecosystem. The software you buy, the peripherals you use, the connectors and so on lose value if they are only for your laptop and can't be used with other devices.

9) Apple has shifted their schedule of releases by implementing these hard release dates every year. If you've actually been using OSX for that long you should know that. While I can't cite an objective source, there have been to my mind and others a rise in the buggy-ness and lack of quality of those updates. Poll long time users on what the best version of OSX is - I doubt you'll find something current.

Last edited:
Reactions: wegster

Meicyn

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
Furthermore some of those usb-c ports don't even run at the high speeds promised which then begs the question why not add legacy ports since Apple is delivering under-performing usb-c ports.
Just a quick correction - it's the Thunderbolt 3 performance that has reduced bandwidth on one side. USB-C functionality is not impacted in any manner.

Reactions: Beer Wig

Beer Wig

Suspended
Nov 6, 2016
Just a quick correction - it's the Thunderbolt 3 performance that has reduced bandwidth on one side. USB-C functionality is not impacted in any manner.

Good catch I was too lazy to look it up. Regardless it still impacts the functionality and begs the question of why not make it a standard port. I suppose I should have added that in reality (nearly) no one will use those 4ports for the same type of connection. And obviously that's why people are complaining so loudly that it's impractical - because it is.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
I prefer MacOs, but these new MBP's leave me with little option to move. Plan is next year to get Dell XPS 15" after Kabylake update. I will get the cheapest option and stick in thrid party 32GB RAM and bigger SSD. Probably will put Ubuntu on it alongside windows

Reactions: wol

H1Supreme

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
.OneNote and Word 2016 are fine on MacOS, good luck running those on Ubuntu.

Yes, because there aren't any alternatives to Microsoft Word out there. It probably has more alternatives than any other software. Google Docs works fine in almost every instance (and many times better). Unless you're a hardcore spreadsheet person that HAS to have to have excel for complex spreadsheets. But, even in that case, Google's javascript for Sheets is 100x better to work with than piece-of-crap VBScript.

1. Are you new to Mac? There have always been bugs, same with any OS. I would say that, if anything MacOS has been relatively stable the past 4 itterations and I haven't had a kernel panic since 10.7

2. MacOS updates are annual now, so you are actually getting more features than the 2 year updates if you combine 2 releases. People seem to forget that one. Short memories and rose tinted spectacles.

Can't disagree with those. I think 10.9.5 is the best iteration since 10.6.8, but 10.11 hasn't given me any problems. Windows is still Windows. You REALLY have to get used to the Win10 goofball interface when switching from 7. I understand the motives, but it doesn't make it better.

Queen6

macrumors G4

With the recent MacBook Pro Late 2016 release I was gutted with disappointment on this refresh.

Stupid and simple things like not being able to plug in your iPhone without an adapter...

There's been a declining trend with Apple product innovation lately and it's disappointing. I'm considering heading over to Windows and spending my money on more reasonable products.

Staying with Apple scares me and makes me feel trapped, the future outlook is overpriced product updates and lack of innovation that attracted me to Apple.

It's like a marriage gone bad, Apple used to be charming but now they're greedy and I want to leave them.

This is why Steve made Apple great, and this is why Apple is now losing:

Yes & no; I have now replaced my primary 13" portable a 2014 13" rMBP with with a Surface Book, I will likely hold onto my rMB and fate of the 15" rMBP is pending. I decided to move to Windows 10 & Surface for many reasons, not solely the recent 2016 MPB update. Best way I can summarise is that Apple is moving a direction that is no longer adding anything to my workflow & productivity, Windows 10 and the Surface Book can simply accomplish more in a unified device.

Apple has always strived for "end to end control" of it`s users experience and continues too, although I do feel that Apple is pushing this paradigm more now. Apple will undoubtedly continue to be extremely successful, however I feel that they are looking to extract as much margin as the market will bear in a declining sector. The new 2016 MBP sales will stabilise and likely equally or be slightly less than the outgoing models. Apple`s not looking to dominate the world with the Mac, that`s not Apple vision, Apple is looking at producing the best notebook`s it can with Apple`s within it`s own design philosophy, equally as ever this may not work for all.

As my systems are used primarily in a professional environment, I look at the value they bring, not the badge on the lid. If Apple produces hardware that meets my needs I will buy, simple as that. Right now I believe that Microsoft is now on a very positive upward trend with both hardware & software solutions. Microsoft is bringing a new dynamism combined with a focus of putting Surface first, Apple will continue and remain to focus on IOS devices for obvious reason.

Q-6

Reactions: soulreaver99

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Nope. My next laptop will be a Mac.

I currently, *technically*, do not own a Mac. However, a family member of mine does not need his Macbook Pro (2015 13") more than once or twice a month. So I just use it most of the time.

I did once own a 2011 Macbook Air 11", but I sold it due to constant Wi-Fi issues.

I will not be purchasing a non-Mac laptop, but I also will not be purchasing the current Mac laptops at their current prices. The waiting game began a while ago.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Not in the slightest. I have a gaming PC and man oh man do I dislike it. If anything, it makes it even easier to choose Apple - every single time.

elephantstone

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2016
I'm so excited for my MacBook Pro (never bought an Apple product before) but waiting until December is killing me :(. The HP Spectre looks amazing too, and I can get it almost instantly. I need convincing to stay :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.