Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you thinking about switching to Windows?

• Yes

Votes: 74 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 136 55.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 34 13.9%

• Total voters

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
I personally am too in love with MacOS. If I could get a windows PC to have Mac OS? Absolutely! Ive done Hackintosh in the past, but its just not stable long term.

Hank Carter

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Waiting to see how the Surface Pro 5 looks this spring... Rumor has it they are going back to Wacom for the pen.

I may buy the old school 13 inch MacBook Pro for daily use. Better keyboard and all the ports you need. I tried the new 13 inch without the emoji bar. Nice screen, but it feels like you are typing on a piece of wood and I refuse to carry around a bag of dongles.

The_Nautilus

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2016
Sticking with Mac. I work with Windows all day at work and at the end of the day it's nice to come home to something that just works. One of the things I don't like about Windows, is the lack of intuitiveness. Windows 8 was the worst offender - little wonder it never took off. Charms?? Now 10... ugh, no thanks!

I've worked on a number of Windows laptops from a variety of vendors over the years and the build quality has been consistently poor. Toshiba, Acer, HP, etc... In addition, they never last more than 3 years before the OS runs like molasses. Case in point, we just recently recycled a number of Windows laptops after 3 years of service. In comparison, my 2012 MacBook Air runs as fast or faster than some of the brand new laptops I've come across. So while reviews for the Surface Pro build quality are generally good, I'm betting after 3 years it's going to run like every other Windows laptop... like a sloth.

Not saying Mac OS is perfect but I'm happy with it. I wasn't thrilled with the new MacBook Pro either - just personal preference but I feel the glowing logo and Mag-safe are part of what defines a Mac for me. So I got a loaded 2015 MacBook Pro while I could and I'm quite happy with it. I know I'm losing out on a bit of performance but the gap is not so wide that I feel like I'm losing out.

I'm selling my Air soon to a co-worker and I have to admit, I'm tempted to keep it as it was my first Mac. Only thing preventing me from doing so is knowing that it's just going to sit on the shelf gathering dust.

So based on my experience, switching to Windows over disappoitment with the latest MacBook Pro seems a little like cutting off your nose to spite your face. But hey, it's your money so spend how you like.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Windows 7 was on the right track. That OS worked. I've reverted all of my systems back to Windows 7.

If they took what worked with Windows 7, and tried to start to copy OS X a little more... Windows would be on the right track. Microsoft is dumb to be forcing tablet features into their Windows OS, especially when they can't get the desktop features down yet.

ALL Microsoft needs to do is:
- tweak out some of the bugs (Windows 7 doesn't have much issues)
- enable some anti bloatware features so companies like Dell can't pack crap like McAfee pre-installed
- not be idiots about complicating things (ex. their Microsoft app store & other things are atrocious)
- enable multi-desktop / multi screen features with swiping just like OS X
- introduce a better toolbar like OS X has & better app expose to view apps

Bam. Multi billion idea.

Instead they're complicating Windows. Windows 7 was just fine... not intuitive on a laptop, but totally fine on a desktop. Windows 10 drove me away from Windows machines.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Windows 7 was on the right track. That OS worked. I've reverted all of my systems back to Windows 7.

If they took what worked with Windows 7, and tried to start to copy OS X a little more... Windows would be on the right track. Microsoft is dumb to be forcing tablet features into their Windows OS, especially when they can't get the desktop features down yet.

ALL Microsoft needs to do is:
- tweak out some of the bugs (Windows 7 doesn't have much issues)
- enable some anti bloatware features so companies like Dell can't pack crap like McAfee pre-installed
- not be idiots about complicating things (ex. their Microsoft app store & other things are atrocious)
- enable multi-desktop / multi screen features with swiping just like OS X
- introduce a better toolbar like OS X has & better app expose to view apps

Bam. Multi billion idea.

Instead they're complicating Windows. Windows 7 was just fine... not intuitive on a laptop, but totally fine on a desktop. Windows 10 drove me away from Windows machines.

You haven't used updated 10 have you?

It already has the swipe to change desktop feature, and what they're coming out with soon provides much more customization options.

You can purchase "signature editions" which come bloatware free, from the Microsoft store. Or just uninstall any bloat you don't want (like candy crush..).

Unless you're using older/cheap hardware, - the bugs have pretty much been fixed. There was an issue with intel which was causing BSOD, which has been fixed.

I rarely used the App Store on the XPS/surface book I had. Just to download a podcast player/drawboard pdf (for tablet mode) and that was it.

If you get the chance, try a surfacebook or newer xps and update the firmware/OS, because your complaints are pretty outdated.

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
I am considering the move for sure. That's a huge step for me as I work in Logic, regardless I don't see any benefit being tied to macOS anymore as long as I find a suitable platform on Windows. I also don't see computers being part of Apple's long term plan anymore... I think the sooner I get out the better as if we face a day where working on a tablet is the best Apple option I'm f#@&3d

Logic isn't available on Windows? Crazy

I've used Logic, FL Studio, Ableton, and Pro Tools. Depending on what you're doing it seems like Ableton is the best DAW out right now and supported by both MacOS and Windows.

However, FL Studio always has been able to make beats THUMP. Only setback is not even in beta on MacOS yet, and the automation could use a bit of work

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Microsoft is dumb to be forcing tablet features into their Windows OS
That was windows 8, Windows 10 undid much of that, and its features and improvements are definitely desktop based. I use it on my iMac (and Surface Book) and its much better then win8

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Well I am not in the market, I use Windows at work and both OS have problems. While Apple's elitist attitude & prices and lack of quality control are unfortunate, I am not sure what I'll do when it comes time to replace my phone and iMac. I just cannot be angry anymore and I'll make my decision when I have to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.