Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
For me, it’s the most important and last thing the iPhone needs in order to be a well rounded device and draw costumers away from android.

It would be great with a costumization section inside the setting, where we can Change basic stuff such as: 4x6 or 5x6 grids, square, rounded or circular icons, dock fit to icons (instead of having all the extra blank space when there’s only 2 or 3 apps places in it), and post importantly have some beautiful stylish clocks to choose from. It makes sense considering you can do so on the Apple Watch. I’m not suggesting Mickey noise, but a different font with different flair to it, 3-6 different styles. I hate more than anything the clock don’t, it’s so thin yet so wide like the “centure gothic”. Google pixel has the best clock font imo.

Reactions: sdwaltz

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
For me, it’s the most important and last thing the iPhone needs in order to be a well rounded device and draw costumers away from android.

It would be great with a costumization section inside the setting, where we can Change basic stuff such as: 4x6 or 5x6 grids, square, rounded or circular icons, dock fit to icons (instead of having all the extra blank space when there’s only 2 or 3 apps places in it), and post importantly have some beautiful stylish clocks to choose from. It makes sense considering you can do so on the Apple Watch. I’m not suggesting Mickey noise, but a different font with different flair to it, 3-6 different styles. I hate more than anything the clock don’t, it’s so thin yet so wide like the “centure gothic”. Google pixel has the best clock font imo.
No.

We're on iOS 11 now and Apple still has not allowed this.

Apple wants standardization and other than wallpaper, allowing you to customize things this way is not part of their plan.

You can do this with a jailbreak, but there's nothing for iOS 11 right now and it looks like there might not be at all.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I doubt it’s coming anytime in the next couple of years. Those of us with Apple Watches thought it would only be a year or two before we would see Apple open up the Watch to custom watch faces like you see for the Samsung Watches. But nope, we’ve got only a few more variations on the original and you have to buy special editions like Nike or Hermès to get at most of them.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Only if done right. I had the Note 8 and what really bugged me is that while you could download dark themes, it wouldn’t darken the whole system like notifications and navigating bar while the keyboard was up.

And man, iOS is so close to a good dark mode with Smart Invert.

The only other thing I would love is for the ability to place icons wherever I want on the screen.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Only if done right.
That's the rub isn't it?

Your definition and my definition and everyone else's definition on 'done right' is probably very different. So, only Apple's definition matters and I think they reached that decision a long time ago.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Never say never.

They allowed third-party keyboards back in iOS8. Apple will probably allow it before they allow a true file manager since they want us to use iTunes and iCloud.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Never say never.

They allowed third-party keyboards back in iOS8. Apple will probably allow it before they allow a true file manager since they want us to use iTunes and iCloud.
A third party keyboard is not the same as being allowed to change fonts, customize the clock or lockscreen, determine the icon grid, size/shape of icons, presence of icon labels, alter folder options and be able to place icons on that grid as you like.

If Apple ever does allow that you'll be able to push me over with a feather.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
I love where your head’s at and agree 100% but it probably will never happen for reasons only Apple knows.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
The inability to make the obnoxiously large IOS icons smaller, as well as having no option to stash all your icons in a drawer (aside from dumping them all in a folder on the desktop), are the only two reasons I run right back to Android within 1-2 weeks of giving the newest iPhone a try.

As a pretty diehard Android user who is thoroughly enjoying my Pixel 2 XL, I have no problem saying that I love the iPhone X. When compared side by side, the screen on the iPhone X is significantly better than the one on my 2 XL. And I love the look/fluidity of using the new gestures in IOS 11. However, since Apple insists on allowing essentially no worthwhile customization to clean the home screens up, they won't get my money (in the phone department, anyway).

I just love having a "clean" home screen too much:
27034129819_6fc7044cb5_c.jpg

Then a quick swipe up with one finger gets me to my apps:
27034129999_82da8c0376_c.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
@sn0warmy Well what you have there is sort of the way I have it with a lock screen to show off my “art” and then Face ID and a swipe up to get to my apps. My home screen is home to my most important apps. Second page is for online shopping apps and recipes.

BlankSlate

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2016
I have been waiting for themes on iOS since 2008. Given how reluctant Apple were to even allow wallpapers on the home screen, I’m guessing it will never happen.

Reactions: eyoungren

Miss_Mac

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2017
I am on the fence. I like elements of both, but having the option for a cleaner screen and real dark mode would be great on the iPhone.

Themes...I don't think Apple would give up that much control.

Reactions: eyoungren

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Only if done right. I had the Note 8 and what really bugged me is that while you could download dark themes, it wouldn’t darken the whole system like notifications and navigating bar while the keyboard was up.

And man, iOS is so close to a good dark mode with Smart Invert.

The only other thing I would love is for the ability to place icons wherever I want on the screen.

You can. Download an app called submarino

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I think you could change that, but I’ve read it’s a learning curve.

Yeah, sounds horrible to say, but I just got sick of all the steps you needed to theme Android. That’s why I’m really hoping Apple decides to go all out on Smart Invert. It’s about 90% there right now but I still see some really weird stuff every once in a while.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Yeah, sounds horrible to say, but I just got sick of all the steps you needed to theme Android. That’s why I’m really hoping Apple decides to go all out on Smart Invert. It’s about 90% there right now but I still see some really weird stuff every once in a while.
Why can’t they just make the background black instead of wasting so much time on inverting the colors?

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I really miss the customization that Android allows. I had some nice, clean themes including some glass themes that were my favorites. It was being able to dial through icons and having cool widgets that made it fun.

On my iPhone, I put very minimal icons on my home screen (two rows) - basically all the Apple standard stuff - so I can at least see most of my home wallpaper. All other apps start on the next screen. Everything is organized so I don’t have pages and pages to swipe through. Every month, at minimum, I change my lock and home screen to get a different feel there. Just reminded that I need to do some more reorganization actually, especially on my iPad.

But yeah, iOS is iOS. It’s a solid operating system overall and that’s more important to me. Themes as far as different color options shouldn’t be too hard, but I doubt if Apple will throw in customizations any time soon. The square icon and grid pattern seems to be the defining look of iOS. Plus, didn’t it take forever for widgets - those lovely rectangular widgets - to come to iOS? Can’t recall what went on there, but point is, Apple just doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to do anything in the theme/customization area.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
It's been done well on Android for years now. It's called MIUI from Xiaomi. Others like Samsung and HTC just copied their theming app. Then more launchers came out like Nova to customize it even more. Nova Launcher Prime is probably one of my favorite apps of all-time.

I was theming iPhone since 2008 with Installer's Summerboard which became Winterboard with Cydia. I had Intelliscreen and SBSettings installed. I changed the system strings and logo of the slider. My lockscreen sound was a lightsaber.

This was when iOS was "fun" to use. Now it's a bore to use and look at. So generic-looking. I can't stand looking at the hideous icons and the fact I can't change the grid layout. I don't even bother to click on the lockscreen & homescreen threads in this forum because I expect none of them will impress me.

Change to a different wallpaper, big whoop! Considering the jailbreak scene is nearly dead, maybe Apple should consider giving us theming instead of focusing on features nobody will use like Animoji. I already find iPhones a bore to use for multimedia. Doesn't even have split-view or PiP like iPads have. I like iPhones for different reasons and media playback isn't one of them.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
This is an area I’d love to see Apple open up. Automatic rotating wallpapers, themes and dark mode.

iOS is like wearing the same shirt that you had custom made in China for 10 years daily in which you purchased 100 of the same colour - a bit like Steve’s jeans.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is an area I’d love to see Apple open up. Automatic rotating wallpapers, themes and dark mode.

iOS is like wearing the same shirt that you had custom made in China for 10 years daily in which you purchased 100 of the same colour - a bit like Steve’s jeans.

Personally, I think smart invert is the closest we are going to get to dark mode. That's just how Apple is, they do things so differently and they won't conform to everything what other competitors are doing.

Reactions: KONVICTED

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Personally, I think smart invert is the closest we are going to get to dark mode. That's just how Apple is, they do things so differently and they won't conform to everything what other competitors are doing.
Agreed. Only whe. Sales start to tank... which isn’t looking like anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.