Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
I didn’t say theming is useless. I said theming is bad for people who don’t know what they’re doing, which is almost everybody.

You can’t idiot proof a customization system because the phone can not determine what is and isn’t good design. Technical considerations can be made idiot proof because a program can determine what is and isn’t valid.

Customization would screw up the device, in that 99% of the people will use them to make their phones look horrible. It reduces brand prestige in a subconscious way. If most of the Apple phones you have seen looked decent, then you get a positive image of Apple. Whereas if most of the Apple phones you see have cheap lame themes on them, it makes the brand seem cheap and lame.

What in the world are you babbling about? We are simply talking about Apple providing options to change icon sizes by selecting one of a few preset options, changing the grid size with a few preset options, and possibly enabling a tick box to enable/disable icon labels. Apple absolutely can make those simple customization options idiot proof and they could probably do it all in a day and push it through with a minimal OS update. It's not nearly as complicated as you are making it out to be and your continued random comparison to cars is hilariously irrelevant.

In addition, your comment about "brand prestige" immediately goes out the window when we consider what the majority of iPhone home screens look like these days. Essentially... people using obnoxious pictures of themselves and their pets as their wallpapers while filling their home screens to the max with apps like Doodle Jump, Snapchat, Pintrest, facebook, Twitter etc.

Most of the iPhone home screens I've seen look absolutely terrible and cheapen the brand appearance way more than the simple customization features most of us are referring to.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I can’t stand theming. And I’ve tried to love it. Most recently with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. To me it just doesn’t work, it’s like making a mess by people who are truly not skilled in UI design nor CX.

And I hate how inconsistent it becomes.

However I’d never would want to determine that other people can’t ruin their own experience. And for that reason I’d be happy for it to arrive on iOS.

Not for me though.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I am on the fence. I like elements of both, but having the option for a cleaner screen and real dark mode would be great on the iPhone.

Themes...I don't think Apple would give up that much control.
I think for me, I’ll used it once and I’m over it. I’ve given android a try and live widgets and screen app locations are meh features for me.

I want a thermo nuclear battery and the most best camera in low light and long range photos. That’s it. Don’t care about custom themes, Christmas decorations or Star Wars icon pack.

Nilhum

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
You are in the wrong ecosystem if you want serious customization. Android allows plenty of customization. Apple is a walled garden because they feel that an OS should only look a certain way, which I agree with Apple and have always felt the design of iOS and all the elements looks better but obviously taste is subjective.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Only if done right. I had the Note 8 and what really bugged me is that while you could download dark themes, it wouldn’t darken the whole system like notifications and navigating bar while the keyboard was up.

And man, iOS is so close to a good dark mode with Smart Invert.

The only other thing I would love is for the ability to place icons wherever I want on the screen.
nevermind. Already answered.

Last edited:

Miss_Mac

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2017
I think for me, I’ll used it once and I’m over it. I’ve given android a try and live widgets and screen app locations are meh features for me.

I want a thermo nuclear battery and the most best camera in low light and long range photos. That’s it. Don’t care about custom themes, Christmas decorations or Star Wars icon pack.

Thermo Nuclear? :p Good reasons. There are many features I have not used on both OS myself. The option for dark mode would be nice, but I would like any phone I buy to do what I need it to. So I can see where you are coming from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.