Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Would much rather see Apple spend its time and energy on fixing the quirks, bugs and inconsistencies in iOS 11 before even thinking about customization.

Don’t paint the house til the foundation has set.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Would much rather see Apple spend its time and energy on fixing the quirks, bugs and inconsistencies in iOS 11 before even thinking about customization.

Don’t paint the house til the foundation has set.
Yeah…but why does the foundation of the house have to be reset every time there is a new iOS version?

Reactions: TinaBelcher

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I’d be happy with just the ability to remove app names. They make the home screen look so cluttered.

I’ve always jailbroken but since I went for the 8 before the JB I obviously am now on stock. I hate how cluttered the home screen looks. Can’t hide apps I don’t want can’t have folder in folder (so I have 8 folders taking up an entire screen that are usually just happily placed in one folder).

But app names really bug me. I’ve had iPhones for 8 years I downloaded every app on my phone. I know what’s it’s effing called there’s no need for a name under it.

Reactions: eyoungren

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Custom theme.... LOL on apple? Please home screen still looks like stuck from 2010

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
It would be great if we could at least change the SMS bubble colors, so sick of green and blue. I’m sure people would be able to still tell the difference of an iMessage if we got to choose the colors.
And the ability to change the SMS background wallpaper instead of boring bright white. It’s been 10 years, come on Apple!

I like the way Windows phones let you somewhat theme. You can a pick dark or light theme and choose a color out of about 40 choices that is used through the phone. Would be nice if Apple even let us do that so we could match our phones to our Apple watches and cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: TinaBelcher

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Honestly, I don't think that level of customization is of any interest to Apple. Sales indicate that this feature simply isn't desired.

If Apple does a dark theme, it will be when more iPhones have OLED screens and the dark theme saves battery.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
This is an area I’d love to see Apple open up. Automatic rotating wallpapers, themes and dark mode.

iOS is like wearing the same shirt that you had custom made in China for 10 years daily in which you purchased 100 of the same colour - a bit like Steve’s jeans.

Exactly. Or like a rented apartment without permission to do any permanent change such as painting the walls, redesigning to kitchen with a new fridge and etc.
[doublepost=1512332201][/doublepost]
It would be great if we could at least change the SMS bubble colors, so sick of green and blue. I’m sure people would be able to still tell the difference of an iMessage if we got to choose the colors.
And the ability to change the SMS background wallpaper instead of boring bright white. It’s been 10 years, come on Apple!

I like the way Windows phones let you somewhat theme. You can pick dark or light theme and choose a color out of about 20 choices that is used through the phone. Would be nice if Apple even let us do that so we could match our phones to our Apple watches and cases.
Too bad windows flopped. I liked the tiles. It looked fun, like decorating your own house

Reactions: Breezygirl

KONVICTED

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
iOS is simply smooth and so much refined, it's designed to just work.

Personally I don't mind customization. I just perfer the stock look. Even on my android phone it's what it's.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
For me, it’s the most important and last thing the iPhone needs in order to be a well rounded device and draw costumers away from android.

It would be great with a costumization section inside the setting, where we can Change basic stuff such as: 4x6 or 5x6 grids, square, rounded or circular icons, dock fit to icons (instead of having all the extra blank space when there’s only 2 or 3 apps places in it), and post importantly have some beautiful stylish clocks to choose from. It makes sense considering you can do so on the Apple Watch. I’m not suggesting Mickey noise, but a different font with different flair to it, 3-6 different styles. I hate more than anything the clock don’t, it’s so thin yet so wide like the “centure gothic”. Google pixel has the best clock font imo.
No
Why would you need to change the grid size? I’m not being sarcastic here, what’s the point of just changing the grid size? Why not just have one perfect size?
Why would you have square icons? That’s going to destroy the entire design language of the OS.
Dock size I agree, maybe it could fit to three instead of four, but not 2.
Clock customization sounds sensible as well.

Problem is, 99% of the people out there have no taste, the less customization tools they get the better, so they can’t screw up their looks. iPhone started with no wallpaper, that was great because now people put ****** photos of their family members on the screen and their faces just get blocked by icons and all sorts of terrible design.

Don’t know if you heard of this new phone company in China called Smartisan, they make the best looking android phones and their custom OS don’t let you change wallpapers for the home screen at all. Originally they won’t let you change the lock screen even but they backed off a bit due to backlash. People are terrible at design but they don’t want to be told of it.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
No
Why would you need to change the grid size? I’m not being sarcastic here, what’s the point of just changing the grid size? Why not just have one perfect size?
Why would you have square icons? That’s going to destroy the entire design language of the OS.
Dock size I agree, maybe it could fit to three instead of four, but not 2.
Clock customization sounds sensible as well.

Problem is, 99% of the people out there have no taste, the less customization tools they get the better, so they can’t screw up their looks. iPhone started with no wallpaper, that was great because now people put ****** photos of their family members on the screen and their faces just get blocked by icons and all sorts of terrible design.
what people put on their phone isn’t any of our concern. Everyone should be allowed to costumize to their licking. Life is about individuality.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Imagine when picking a home, it looks exactly the same as the other ones next to it with same internal layout. Imagine if IKEA sold the same furniture designs. Imagine the same-looking Christmas decorations. Imagine the same-looking cars. Imagine wearing the same clothes every single day. Tells alot about our personalities.

People like to decorate things but imagine not giving them many options. Communism over consumerism. That's why iOS gets tiresome to me when the only differentiators between iPhones is the wallpaper and case if there is any. Unless you jailbreak it which is harder to do now, it will continue to look the same as another person's iPhone except the wallpapers.

Whether you find theming useless and won't use it, that doesn't matter. We should have the option of having it there. Better to have it than not at all. We can't just agree with what Apple wants. So it's only useless to you until Apple adds it? Just giving in to their draconian ways. Speak out. I used to think Android was iOS' stuttering cousin until I discovered launchers.

Theming should be there like Siri and Animoji whether we plan to use it or not. Optional features. That's all we ask. Right now, the iPhone X relies on newer lockscreen gimmicks that's hardly better or worse than Touch ID and Animojis catered to children that gets boring fast like an iOS homescreen that generally has looked the same for over 10 years. Doesn't matter if we use it or not as long as it's there if we do plan to use it.

Android = MySpace (their peak)
iOS = Facebook

That's just the way it is
Some things will never change
That's just the way it is
Ah, but don't you believe them

- Bruce Hornsby

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
Imagine when picking a home, it looks exactly the same as the other ones next to it with same internal layout. Imagine if IKEA sold the same furniture designs. Imagine the same-looking Christmas decorations. Imagine the same-looking cars. Imagine wearing the same clothes every single day. Tells alot about our personalities.

People like to decorate things but imagine not giving them many options. Communism over consumerism. That's why iOS gets tiresome to me when the only differentiators between iPhones is the wallpaper and case if there is any. Unless you jailbreak it which is harder to do now, it will continue to look the same as another person's iPhone except the wallpapers.

Whether you find theming useless and won't use it, that doesn't matter. We should have the option of having it there. Better to have it than not at all. We can't just agree with what Apple wants. So it's only useless to you until Apple adds it? Just giving in to their draconian ways. Speak out. I used to think Android was iOS' stuttering cousin until I discovered launchers.

Theming should be there like Siri and Animoji whether we plan to use it or not. Optional features. That's all we ask. Right now, the iPhone X relies on newer lockscreen gimmicks that's hardly better or worse than Touch ID and Animojis catered to children that gets boring fast like an iOS homescreen that generally has looked the same for over 10 years. Doesn't matter if we use it or not as long as it's there if we do plan to use it.

iOS = Facebook
I didn’t say theming is useless. I said theming is bad for people who don’t know what they’re doing, which is almost everybody.

We do have identical decorations, that’s what comes out of factories of mass production. People seem to be pretty happy with those. In fact people would be mad if they had to come up with their own Christmas decorations.

Cars also look the same, with the only difference being color, which is even worse than just wallpapers. When was the last time you designed and had a team of engineers custom make your unique car.
I’m afraid you’ve been brain washed to think you are unique and life is about customization.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

iOS = Facebook
I would just add here about sameness.

It never fails to amaze me that most people do not bother to change their ringtones. One of the few things Apple allows and yet everyone is grabbing their iPhone when the Marimba ringtone goes off.

It shows just how little the average Apple user cares about this thing.

I totally agree with your statements, but I daily experience the lethargic apathy of the average Apple customer when it comes to this sort of thing. They just do not care. Some people don't even bother changing their wallpaper.

It just makes you wonder that if there is so little interest in the device, why they bought one in the first place.
[doublepost=1512343057][/doublepost]
I didn’t say theming is useless. I said theming is bad for people who don’t know what they’re doing, which is almost everybody.
Yet, with the few things Apple does allow, very few calls are made to Apple support because changing wallpaper screwed up the filesystem.

Don't you think Apple would idiot-proof it like they have everything else?

Reactions: KONVICTED

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Anything that contrasts with Apple's iconic look on its devices is anathema to its philosophy. I'd just like to see a 5-column home screen and dock, as well as a way to turn animations off altogether. With the jailbreak scene dying, it looks like we'll be seeing none of that.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017

We do have identical decorations, that’s what comes out of factories of mass production. People seem to be pretty happy with those. In fact people would be mad if they had to come up with their own Christmas decorations.

It never fails to amaze me that most people do not bother to change their ringtones. One of the few things Apple allows and yet everyone is grabbing their iPhone when the Marimba ringtone goes off.

I totally agree with your statements, but I daily experience the lethargic apathy of the average Apple customer when it comes to this sort of thing. They just do not care. Some people don't even bother changing their wallpaper.

It just makes you wonder that if there is so little interest in the device, why they bought one in the first place.
Yet, with the few things Apple does allow, very few calls are made to Apple support because changing wallpaper screwed up the filesystem.

When was the last time you bothered to do a custom paint job on your car with liveries you designed and drawn yourself?

Nobody is obliged to customize anything. There is nothing wrong with stock.

You can’t idiot proof a customization system because the phone can not determine what is and isn’t good design. Technical considerations can be made idiot proof because a program can determine what is and isn’t valid.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
When was the last time you bothered to do a custom paint job on your car with liveries you designed and drawn yourself?
Never, but a car is not an iPhone.

I will say however, that there is a healthy aftermarket for customizing cars.

Nobody is obliged to customize anything. There is nothing wrong with stock.
Don't believe anyone said there was. What the question was concerned with was being allowed to. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head saying just because it's allowed (if Apple allowed) it, you must.

And right, there is nothing wrong with stock. But just because there isn't anything wrong with it doesn't mean I or anyone else wouldn't like to tweak a few things.

You can’t idiot proof a customization system because the phone can not determine what is and isn’t good design.
We weren't talking about good design. We were talking about if customization would screw up the device itself.

I get that you're opposed to customization, but what someone does with their phone is their own thing whether you or I may think their customization looks silly or not.

The question is over whether Apple should allow that. Not allowing it because you're opposed to how someone might customize their device is not in my opinion a good reason.

Apple says no because they want to keep their "iconic" design so EVERYONE knows it's an iPhone. But we aren't Apple, we're the customer.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

I change my wallpapers a lot and never use the default ring tones. I'd like the option of theming, and especially dark mode to toggle on and off.

More importantly though, I just want stability. I am not a power user of iDevices, so I just want them to work. If I used the phone a lot more I could see where customization and themes would be a great feature. I liked the customization when it worked on my Moto Z Play.

Like others have said, I doubt Apple would give the user the ability to radically (in their eyes) change the look of the OS. It would be great if we could axe a lot more stock apps and reinstall when needed...but...it's Apple.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I change my wallpapers a lot and never use the default ring tones. I'd like the option of theming, and especially dark mode to toggle on and off.

More importantly though, I just want stability. I am not a power user of iDevices, so I just want them to work. If I used the phone a lot more I could see where customization and themes would be a great feature. I liked the customization when it worked on my Moto Z Play.

Like others have said, I doubt Apple would give the user the ability to radically (in their eyes) change the look of the OS. It would be great if we could axe a lot more stock apps and reinstall when needed...but...it's Apple.
The iPhone is a tool and if anyone wants to simply treat it as one that's their perogative. I, like some here just believe that customizing it should be a choice. You should be able to choose to customize or not.

But we don't get a vote. You are exactly correct, it's not something Apple is going to allow.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
The iPhone is a tool and if anyone wants to simply treat it as one that's their perogative. I, like some here just believe that customization it should be a choice. You should be able to choose to customize or not.

But we don't get a vote. You are exactly correct, it's not something Apple is going to allow.

Exactly. I have no problem with folks wanting to keep their phone stock set up (most people I know do that no matter the OS), but that little nod of individuality is a nice option to have.

I am glad we still have wallpapers at least. :cool:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
For me, it’s the most important and last thing the iPhone needs in order to be a well rounded device and draw costumers away from android.

It would be great with a costumization section inside the setting, where we can Change basic stuff such as: 4x6 or 5x6 grids, square, rounded or circular icons, dock fit to icons (instead of having all the extra blank space when there’s only 2 or 3 apps places in it), and post importantly have some beautiful stylish clocks to choose from. It makes sense considering you can do so on the Apple Watch. I’m not suggesting Mickey noise, but a different font with different flair to it, 3-6 different styles. I hate more than anything the clock don’t, it’s so thin yet so wide like the “centure gothic”. Google pixel has the best clock font imo.
Nope.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
It's not like a taller display or a curved one is any more useful than theming it. Bezel-less is just a cosmetic gimmick too.

Options. It's like having a spare tire (donut), car jack, and jumper cables hidden in your trunk. You will rarely use them but they're there just in case you need them. Think contraceptives and Swiss Army knife. Just in case. Better to have them than not.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
We weren't talking about good design. We were talking about if customization would screw up the device itself.

I get that you're opposed to customization, but what someone does with their phone is their own thing whether you or I may think their customization looks silly or not.

The question is over whether Apple should allow that. Not allowing it because you're opposed to how someone might customize their device is not in my opinion a good reason.

Apple says no because they want to keep their "iconic" design so EVERYONE knows it's an iPhone. But we aren't Apple, we're the customer.

Customization would screw up the device, in that 99% of the people will use them to make their phones look horrible. It reduces brand prestige in a subconscious way. If most of the Apple phones you have seen looked decent, then you get a positive image of Apple. Whereas if most of the Apple phones you see have cheap lame themes on them, it makes the brand seem cheap and lame.

For that reason, Apple shouldn't allow it.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017

iOS = Facebook
This!

Finally some understand my view of theming. I’ve always said that iPhone is like a rented apartment without license to change it, where android is a bought apartment where you can do whatever you like to it.

Reactions: Sparkymoto
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.